New Bug introduced by EX1's 1.11 firmware update? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 7th, 2008, 12:05 AM   #1
New Boot

New Bug introduced by EX1's 1.11 firmware update?

I just got my firmware updated and on my very first job since the update, I experienced a problem with the MF* manual focus setting. Even though my camera was set to MF* and the focus ring was fully locked in the forward position, the focus kept drifting again and again, throwing my shot out of focus. I kept fighting this by turning the focus ring, but instantly the focus would drift again as if the disengaged auto focus was coming back for vengeance! I was only able to fix the problem by pulling the focus ring into Full Manual.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, did you experience this problem only after getting the 1.11 firmware update or was it present in another firmware version?

I want to figure out if this is an issue that was introduced by the 1.11 firmware update or not, so all input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Pierre Louis Beranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 01:44 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Did you have Manual Focus Assist on?
Old September 7th, 2008, 06:24 AM   #3
Trustee

Yes, I wonder if the manual focus assist menu item defaults ON after the upgrade?
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Interesting Pierre my focus is better in all modes with the 1.11 firmware. I use to have minor drifting but now it says locked in all modes. Also manual focus assist was off in my menu after the firm ware update just as it was prior.
Old September 7th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #5
Major Player

I have been shooting for the last week and I am loving the new firmware so far...no issues here if anything it has made improvements...
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I shot a wedding yesterday with the new firmware and somehow I noticed the effect of rolling shutter on DSLR flashlight is not as obvious as the old firmware. With the old firmware, I can always see small strip of flash exposure acoss a frame very often and it is random with no fixed pattern. The wedding I shot yesterday I did not feel it strongly. I will know better when I do the actual editing few days later.
John Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Just did two heli shoots where I had to use auto focus due to fast moving and gyro system. The new firmware the focus seems to lock quick and stay there much better.
Old September 9th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #8
Major Player

Paul, that is very good news! I had not tried auto focus since upgrading... Certain times it would come in handy but the way it was working before the firmware update was way to slow and drifted.
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:35 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Jason I think you will be very pleased with the auto focus now when it is needed. I prefer to use the full manual focus but I need AF at times when flying.
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #10
Major Player

Yes Paul, the auto does work much better now... I use Manual 99.9% of the time but if in a Heli or shooting from another moving rig, Auto now seems to be usable... :)
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #11
Trustee

Great news!

I can't help wonder why Sony has not mentioned these improvements...
Unless they are a result of some other fixes.

I've also heard there "may" be an improvement with CMOS artifacts. Several have mentioned this.
Again, if so, you have to wonder how this was accomplished..
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds