EX3: MF failout - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 10th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Wilson View Post
Given that removing and replacing the lens seemed to cure the problem, is it due to an iffy contact between the lens and body? If it happens again, it would be worth checking whether the lens is passing any data (eg, focus for the DOF scale, zoom and aperture settings) back to the camera.

Nick
That might be the culprit. After it stopped focusing, I noticed that the lens release button was slightly off its complete down position and the lens may have gotten unseated while loading it in the bag. But it took several attempts of re-seating and re-flange testing before it came back. Don't know if checking whether it was sending signals would tell anything, as it did find focus in two modes before losing it.
Mike Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:23 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I've had the same problem on my new EX3 twice this week. When going from MF to AF ring (to use the Shot Transition feature) and then back to MF, the MF ring doesn't move the glass at all. No feedback. Has anyone got to the bottom of this? Off and on resets the lens and solves the problem, but it's hardly a long-term solution!
Zachary Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:14 AM   #18
Regular Crew

My problem was resolved by a new cam. Sony Support wasn't able to reproduce the problem but the behaved quite well and believed me. With the new EX3 no problems at all.

Markus
Old October 4th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #19
Major Player

Same issue on a demo unit

I dont have my EX3 yet but in August I have visited a Sony retailer in Vienna to try the cam.

Since the cam was new for me it took some time to realize there was something wrong. The manual focus didnt work, I told the technician there who became nervous and had no idea what to do.

Finally I have switched the unit off and back on then it worked. I believed back then that it was the demo unit and somehow people used it rough or inappropriate.

But now it seems to be another of Sony's usual launch gift glitches... I wonder how this going to be solved. Does replacement fix this or the replacement units also carry a time bomb to be activated any time?
Old October 4th, 2008, 06:16 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Unfortunately it's not only Sony. I ordered different electronic stuff (storage system, mini video camera) and all this stuff had bugs. Concerning the MF problem on the EX3 I am quite sure that if you don't realize the error in the first two hours of filming it won't occur. But despite the small problem I am really happy with the EX3.

Markus
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:46 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I've had this happen to me a couple of times on a course last week. Tunring it off and then back on seemed to clear it. Was there an actual reason for this happening e.g. mechanical or electronic?
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:36 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Tyrer View Post
I've had this happen to me a couple of times on a course last week. Tunring it off and then back on seemed to clear it. Was there an actual reason for this happening e.g. mechanical or electronic?
I sent the cam in for a firmware upgrade and this solved my problem. Have not had it happen since. Your firmware for ex3 needs to be at least 1.3.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:05 AM   #23
Inner Circle

There is a bug in the older EX3 firmware that cause the focus system to stop working when you are using focus ring forward manual focus with macro turned on and the lens zoomed in. When you try to focus and go into the macro region the focus locks up. Restarting the camera will get things going again. Two ways to stop it happening: Turn macro off or get the firmware updated.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:57 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
There is a bug in the older EX3 firmware that cause the focus system to stop working when you are using focus ring forward manual focus with macro turned on and the lens zoomed in. When you try to focus and go into the macro region the focus locks up. Restarting the camera will get things going again. Two ways to stop it happening: Turn macro off or get the firmware updated.
Mine's at 1.02...looks like I'll need to take it in.

Last edited by Dave Tyrer; September 3rd, 2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old September 11th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Tyrer View Post
Mine's at 1.02...looks like I'll need to take it in.
Just sent it back to the vendor for return to Sony. Will report back anything useful.
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:33 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Finally got my EX3 back after 3 weeks. The firmware version is now 1.04.0084. The MxR cards still work so that's a bonus...I haven't had a chance to check but I'm assuming that this fixed my loss of focus problem also...I will only know when I get to start using it again.
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds