Picture Profiles EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 7th, 2008, 09:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Picture Profiles EX3

Does the EX3 come with Picture Profiles? The EX1 had some presets on the camera (CINE, etc.) but it does not appear to be on the EX3. Am I missing something? Also I have heard the the PP's for the EX1 do not work with the EX3. Does anyone have any EX3 PP's they can share?? I have found a ton for the EX1 but cannot seem to locate any for the EX3.
Thanks!!
Matt Sturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #2
Inner Circle

When you say the PPs from the EX1 do not work on the EX3, it may be the case that you can't load them in from a card, but that doesn't stop you putting them in manually via the menus.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I read somewhere else that the profiles for the EX1 are not the same as the EX3 as they handle these settings differently? Again this is something I read and not be correct, but this was what I was lead to believe, does anyone know if there is any truth to this statement? Also does anyone know if the EX3 comes with these presets? Thanks for all of your help.
Matt Sturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:36 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Having tested Bill Ravenīs PPīs for the EX1 on my EX3, I can confidently recommend that one shouldnīt use the EX1īs PPīs for the EX3.

I tried it
tested it
and found EX1 PPīs to be non compatible

check it out for yourself though
Kenny Cowburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Sturns View Post
Does anyone have any EX3 PP's they can share?? I have found a ton for the EX1 but cannot seem to locate any for the EX3.
Thanks!!
What exactly are you trying to achieve? Trying to emulate the results of PP's from an Ex-1 is not recommended - the Ex-3 is NOT the Ex-1, they are more like brother and sister.

Using someone else's PP's is a road that leads nowhere IMHO. You should take control of the profiles in your EX-3 yourself. Take the time to understand how changes will affect the image. The existing presets are very very good - again just my opinion. For me, I needed tweaks to PP 4,5 and 6 for Cine settings. The existing PP-1,2,3 profiles were fine for all my interior shots. Just tiny tweaks on location got me there.
PP's should not be used to set up the camera for every situation - they are broad strokes that get you close. It depends how you work - I do not attempt to get it all done in the camera - I like to use post to nail the look I finally need.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:39 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Jon
I agree with you completely...

In my case, I was testing Bill Ravensī PP for true colour.

here my findings, copied from another thread:

Hey all you EX3 shooters out there

just a word to the wise
I personally donīt recommend using any EX1 ppīs for the EX3, after testing Bill Ravensī settings for true colour (EX1) in my EX3, I noticed that the red spectrum was very flat and had moved to orange, this however was after Bill revised his first pp to accomodate the fact that many of you said that the reds were a bit too much as apposed to the other colours.

The EX3 test in the October/November issue of the īVIDEOAKTIV DIGITAL`which is an European magazine which I buy (VIDEOAKTIV - Home) stated that sony should frame the results for the colour tests for the EX3, which kind of leads me to believe that we are getting very close to true colour without tweaking at all

I am not testing with any official charts, just with a colour circle from a photography book I have and real scenes outdoors in all possible conditions.

I did check the results in the Vectorscope in my Avid Liquid, which confirmed what the viewfinder in the EX3 had led me to believe.

Now while I think that a true colour PP is definately a good thing, I also think that PPīs should be adjusted continually to achieve the desired effect for the shot or shoot, it is all about creativity and personal prefference.

Not sure who it was in this thread who stated that there is no "holy grail" as far as picture profiles are concerned, but you got my vote.
Every one of us is shooting in different lighting conditions and we should react according to the situation at hand.

I personally shoot mostly extreme sports and events which pretty much always happen outdoors and am currently testing certain parameters for Sunshine; Backlight; Rain/cloudy; snow/sunny combination and snow/cloudy combinations.

For live band shoots, I will be looking into an indoor stage, mixed light setting over the next few months, if anyone has any good advise for that, Iīd be pleased to hear it
(EX3 users please).
Kenny Cowburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #7
Major Player

I always thought that PP's were for YOU to keep tabs on settings throughout a shoot - day after day - to be adjusted as light changes.
I never believed that swopping PP's between shooters and camera's was the answer. It may be that someone else's PP's could fit your needs, but that's like throwing dice!
I found for my needs that the exisiting PP's gave me just as good results as one's I have tested from various sources - DVD training - forum's etc. In some cases much better.

PP 1,2, 3 for interiors and Cine 3 for harsher sunny exteriors are almost spot on. I tweak them somewhat once I am on location. Sometimes, if I feel I have veered off too much - usually between shoots, I even reset to defaults.
So far, it does not feel to me like I am doing this wrong - I am getting lovely images - now if someone can make them better - send me your PP's!! Just kidding.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #8

Matt, it's like John said, PPs are not for sharing. No two shooting situations are going to be alike (and no two cameras are exaclty alike, as others have discovered). A sunny day in Providence is not going to be the same as a sunny day in Miami is not going to be the same as a sunny day in Paris, etc.

The same can be said about interiors. No two staged events--rock concert vs. theatre/dance performance--are going to be the same. Lighting is the biggest variable we have to deal with! PPs are, by-and-large, very "job specific". They are there to get "a look" for whatever your specific situation/program is.

Having said that, one can have what might be referred to as "general tweaks" that will apply to what one may do generally, i.e., documentaries, concerts, nature, sports, etc. But even there, the problem is PPs are, if nothing else, very subjective. What looks good to you may not particularly please Jon's eye, and vice versa.

The best thing to do is hook up your camera to a monitor and play with the settings. It doesn't take large adjustments to see immediate results!
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #9
Major Player

My recommendation: 1080p, cine2, detail-off, all other settings zeroed.
Dominik Seibold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:40 AM   #10
Major Player

As has already been said, picture profiles are appear to be camera dependent. I have tried to get interest in getting people to try comparing their camera's characteristics by offering to send out a standard chart for people to shoot under some standard lighting. Then I would check out the output of the cameras using a vector scope display in Premier CS4. I have received a total of three responses. The project has come to a standstill.

So the best thing to to is play with your camera and see what out put you like. That's all that can be said unless you spring for a vector scope, or for a vector scope program, and a proper colour chart.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds