DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Sawing the lens hood off the Sony wide - anyone done it? Tips? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/129687-sawing-lens-hood-off-sony-wide-anyone-done-tips.html)

Stuart Boreham September 9th, 2008 12:28 PM

Sawing the lens hood off the Sony wide - anyone done it? Tips?

Hi, I need to use the 750 tru cut to deal with the lovely IR contamination issues discussed elsewhere on here, so using the matte box with a 4" filter seem an obvious choice. Clearly the fixed lenshood on the adaptor needs to come off - it looks to me that a hacksaw and some carefull filing will do the trick. Anyone been down this road? Any tips?

I am not sure that a 4" box will be wide enough to avoid vignetting but I guess we have to try.

S

Andrew Hollister September 9th, 2008 01:18 PM

you are a brave soul.
take lots of pics or video as you go.

Stuart Boreham September 10th, 2008 01:44 AM

I am sure I can't be a pioneer on this!!

Serena Steuart September 10th, 2008 02:08 AM

Do you mean the Sony 0.8X wide angle adapter? The hood detaches from that. A 4x4 filter doesn't have a lot to spare when mounted in the rear filter stage, I'd be checking that before getting out the hacksaw or buying a 4 x 4 to work with the WA attachment. You may need the 4 x 5.65.

Stuart Boreham September 10th, 2008 02:14 AM

the hood detaches how exactly?

s

Matt Sturns September 10th, 2008 02:21 AM

make sure you wear saw resistant gloves..seriously you need those fingers to counterbalance the EX1!

Serena Steuart September 10th, 2008 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart Boreham (Post 931792)
the hood detaches how exactly?

s

Is this the model you mean?
Sony | VCL-EX0877 0.8x Wide Angle Lens Adapter | VCL-EX0877

Stuart Boreham September 10th, 2008 04:44 AM

Nah, that looks like the z1 adaptor to me. ex1 adaptor different.

Serena Steuart September 10th, 2008 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart Boreham (Post 931828)
Nah, that looks like the z1 adaptor to me. ex1 adaptor different.

That is the one for the EX1.

Stuart Boreham September 10th, 2008 05:42 AM

well they must have changed the design then because the one I have is like this Sony Ex1 Wide Angle Lens x0.8 - eBay (item 280265084130 end time Sep-09-08 02:59:47 PDT)
and was sent with the camera with a EX1/3 specific bayonet fixing.

I don't seem to be able to find images of it now tho.

s

Stuart Boreham September 10th, 2008 05:49 AM

This page shows exactly the same photo for the z1 and the ex1 adaptor, a common error.

Creative Video > Lenses & Filters > Wide Angle Adaptors

I own one of each- the ex 1 wide is different and is shown here

Sony VCL-EX0877 Wide Angle Adapter - Pro Active

and also in the sony brochure.

Soorry if I seem to have turned into a terrible pedant over this but if there is a wide adaptor that I don't have to take a saw to I want to know about it!!

S

Serena Steuart September 10th, 2008 06:50 AM

Indeed most sites show that same image, apparently incorrectly. Anyway, looking at the correct photograph you won't have any trouble sawing off the hood. First, I'd be looking at the construction to make sure that it doesn't unscrew. It looks (in the photo) to be a separately made item.

Stuart Boreham September 10th, 2008 07:25 AM

Doh!.....

Ok, back to my original premise then - anyone who actually *owns* one of the wide adaptors got any experience of sawing the hood off!!??

s

Paul Cronin September 10th, 2008 07:40 AM

Stuart I own one and would love to have the silly hood off but have not tried. Maybe Sony Service can remove the hood or has a drawing to show us how to remove the hood?

Craig Hollenback September 11th, 2008 01:28 PM

I also own on and would like to remove it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart Boreham (Post 931474)
Hi, I need to use the 750 tru cut to deal with the lovely IR contamination issues discussed elsewhere on here, so using the matte box with a 4" filter seem an obvious choice. Clearly the fixed lenshood on the adaptor needs to come off - it looks to me that a hacksaw and some carefull filing will do the trick. Anyone been down this road? Any tips?

I am not sure that a 4" box will be wide enough to avoid vignetting but I guess we have to try.

S

Stuart, I was told by Sony, diagonal cutters. I have not tried it as of yet but will need to for the same reasons as you. It appears that the shade has been put on beneath the front most ring that has been screwed on using one of those lens type spanner wrenches with the two opposing pins. I beleive the shade is held captive beneath that ring. The diagonal cutter would split the shade and if you cut it multiple places, it should be able to be removed in sections. I can't confirm this and there is a possibility that the shade can be trapped in there and can't come out easily. I would suggest asking Sony if they would remove it. I used to own a prototype shop and I would be cautious doing it although if Sony won't, I will have to. Please keep us posted because the adapter is useless with a matte box as it is.
Best, Craig