DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   phu-60k for EX1 and S&Q motion support (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/130362-phu-60k-ex1-s-q-motion-support.html)

Steve Wilson September 11th, 2008 11:27 AM

phu-60k for EX1 and S&Q motion support

Is anyone else able to record onto their phu-60k in s&q motion mode. I can for about 2 seconds then i just get a media error message. Do you think I have a bad hard drive unit (as ive heard there are some bad units out there), or is it that the phu-60k doesnt support s&q motion because of the high transfer rate (as a friend told me) ?

Cheers

Steve

Ned Soltz September 11th, 2008 12:15 PM

As I originally understood it, the PHU-60K does not work for under/overcranking.

Steve Wilson September 11th, 2008 12:38 PM

Just got off the phone to Sony tech support. They are looking into it. Expecting a phone call tomorrow. He was saying that it might be neccesary for either the ex1 or 60k to have a firmware update to correct the problem, so not sure if it will be possible to do this or not yet. If not then i'll get a refund on the phu-60k and get a larger capacity sxs card...

Jon Braeley September 11th, 2008 12:55 PM

I was set to buy the PHU-60k, but I was told fast or slo-mo is not supported - by about 4 sources which is enough for me.

If all it takes is a firmware upgrade then I will be shocked, as I was told the EX-3 is included.

Ned Soltz September 11th, 2008 01:14 PM

The EX-1 requires the firmware upgrade to work with the PHU-60 but I repeat my understanding that it does not record S&Q motion.

It is a nice product however I really personally would prefer to liberate myself of hard drives. It might be a very dependable 1.8" drive, but it is still mechanical and far more susceptible to failure than solid state media. Just my own personal rant here.

Steven Thomas September 11th, 2008 01:26 PM

Not to mention it's only 60GB.
Sure this would be great to use for event shoots... but, com'on... why only 60GB?
Especially these days... 60GB drives...

Also, when 32GB SxS memory comes down a bit, or we figure out how to get other 32GB cheaper media to work in the EX1... Which may be real soon...

Andrew Hollister September 11th, 2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Thomas (Post 933283)
Not to mention it's only 60GB.
Sure this would be great to use for event shoots... but, com'on... why only 60GB?
Especially these days... 60GB drives...

Also, when 32GB SxS memory comes down a bit, or we figure out how to get other 32GB cheaper media to work in the EX1... Which may be real soon...

It is 60Gb for $1000 vs. one 32gb SxS for $1400...

Steven Thomas September 11th, 2008 05:41 PM

If you can wait a bit, prices will fall for 32GB.
Also, we soon will know if there are other work-around solutions.

Don Greening September 11th, 2008 06:43 PM

The PHU-60 hard drive does not support over/undercranking because the data rate is too high for the unit's USB 2.0 interface. This is straight from Juan Martinez, who is the senior technology manager of Sony Electronics.

No amount of EX firmware upgrading is going to change this.

- Don

Steven Thomas September 11th, 2008 07:15 PM

I hear you Don..
Also, I can't remember which one, but I read on a Sony site that mentioned it could not do S&Q.

Sean Seah September 11th, 2008 08:51 PM

the local rep told me it doesnt work with S&Q too at the EX3 launch

Greg Boston September 12th, 2008 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Greening (Post 933535)
The PHU-60 hard drive does not support over/undercranking because the data rate is too high for the unit's USB 2.0 interface. This is straight from Juan Martinez, who is the senior technology manager of Sony Electronics.

No amount of EX firmware upgrading is going to change this.

I also notice when perusing the available 1.8 inch drives that they are usually ATA100 and 4200 rpm. That's probably not going to support the higher data rate required by over cranking. Under cranking might work though.

-gb-