DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Starter Lenses for sgpro and EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/130736-starter-lenses-sgpro-ex1.html)

Daniel Alexander September 13th, 2008 07:43 AM

Starter Lenses for sgpro and EX1

I have decided I am going to buy an SGPRO 35mm adapter for my sony EX1 after seeing numerous videos on vimeo with impressive footage. I am going to get the full setup with the nikon adapter and am hoping to pick some cheap lenses up from Ebay to start with but I'm new to this and dont really know how cheap of a lens i can buy before it becomes unusable/crap. I want to start with a 50mm and an 85mm and then move up from there, and so i ask for those of you who wouldnt mind sparing a minute, could you recommend something for me from eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace :) Thank you

John Hedgecoe September 13th, 2008 03:42 PM

As long as the lenses are genuine Nikkor, then most are very good. But if you go for very old lenses, they will have less lens coatings than the newer lenses.

Thom Hogam's site has lots of additional information on the Nikkor line of lenses, and pretty much everything else Nikon.

Nikon Field Flash Digital Guide photography by Thom Hogan

Daniel Alexander September 13th, 2008 05:40 PM

Thanks john I'l check that out

Alexander Kubalsky September 13th, 2008 06:20 PM

Are you not considering the SGBlade due out next month?

I have been studying Lenses lately and found Ken Rockwells site a great resource.

Nikon Nikkor Lenses

Daniel Alexander September 13th, 2008 09:21 PM

sgblade? oh im so behind, never even heard of it

Daniel Alexander September 13th, 2008 09:33 PM

Oh I just realised it's the GG1. Well I'm waiting to see the beta footage from the ex1 testers the unit has been sent out to, because in another forum a user said the current GG2 looks more filmic than the new model being tested and Wayne concured:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryvac
Great Video!! but I have a question.
So if those where shot with the SGPro (or GG2)does that mean it would of shown more grain for the skey shot? and more grain when you stop down on your lens?
the video was beutiful but if you ask me if it looked like film I would say it didn't (for me)...so would the GG2 be better choice for me?

maybe a side by side comperison would be nice next? (GG1 & GG2)

You are spot on! GG2 indeed looks more film like but does suffer more from grain. GG1 allows much more freedom where this is concerned, and is also a little sharper!

so i guess It's a waiting game for me right now as my budget is tight and I want to make every penny count. I really hope to see some ex1 footage soon

Bruce Rawlings September 14th, 2008 05:42 AM

I have an SGPro3 and use AI or AIs Nikkor lenses found on Ebay.. There is a shortage on EbayUk at the moment. You want a 50mm 35mm, 85 or 105 and a 135mm to have a basic set. The wider the aperture the better F2s are the best if you can afford it but F2.8s are very good but may restrict shooting in low light. By the way the SGPro3 gives superb results.

Daniel Alexander September 14th, 2008 06:04 AM

I'm so new to lenses right now it's scary but I learn fast and I am buying the unit regardless as It is a move i will have to make sooner or later and since i have the cash now i may aswel. I say this because when you refer to AI i have no idea what that means lol I could assume it stands for auto iris but I'd just be guessing.

So your impressed with the SGPRO then? what camera are you using with it and do you have any problem with excess gain/vignetting or hot spots?

John Hedgecoe September 14th, 2008 06:54 AM

Be aware that some of the newer lenses have a 'G' designation. The 'G' lenses do not have an aperture ring. On these lenses the aperture is controlled electronically by the camera.

Daniel Alexander September 14th, 2008 09:17 AM

so I assume it is better to control the aperture via the lens itself rather than the camera?

Bruce Rawlings September 14th, 2008 03:20 PM

Go and look at the FAQs on the shoot35 website. THe AI and AIs lenses are manual operation and the correct size for 35mm shooting. You do not want Digital lenses of any sort. I would do some serious research before buying a unit. I use an EX1 + flip unit.

Daniel Alexander September 14th, 2008 06:09 PM

Thanks bruce, do you have the ex1 fix on your model? Do you have any footage shot with the adapter i could look at?