SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 23 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 28th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #331
Regular Crew

First of all to all: THANK YOU FOR YOUR INVESTIGATION

I just want to be shure: With the Kensington 7-1 I in an EX 3 I will be able close the door?

Markus
Old September 28th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #332
Major Player

It's the AFT PRO Express 7 in 1 card reader item number 65100704 - as mentioned earlier in this thread, it's maybe not as fast as the Kensington, and apparently will not work with the Sandisk Extreme III cards - but for me, shooting normal HQ or even SP, it's perfectly OK running with cheap media, and I use my SXS cards for overcranking - and a closed door on the EX1 in the sand and dust here, is a must.

I've not tested the Kensington, as a screw up in delivery meant mine went to another planet and then sent back to the suppliers - I'm expecting them soon, so I can test their relative speeds thru' the express slot on my laptop.

Paul
Old September 28th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #333
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Bo View Post

I just want to be shure: With the Kensington 7-1 I in an EX 3 I will be able close the door?

Markus
Yes. You can close the door of the EX-3 with the Kensington adapter
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #334
Regular Crew

Thanks Ned, at the end of the week I will get my stuff.
Old September 28th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #335
Trustee

I have the AFT. It was one of the first cards I tested.

It failed running HQ modes. It's was intermittent using the Patriot SDHC
Also, the 16GB Patriot SDHC I tested, I noticed that the data write speeds
fluctuated.

At that time I had ordered the new SanDisk Extreme III 30MB/s version SDHC. This SDHC card in the AFT gets a unrecognized media error. It does not work at all.

At that time, I also had the Kensington which worked great with the new Extreme III SDHC.
So, I gave up on the AFT expresscard adaptor. I bought the Ultra II SDHC after I had gave up on the AFT and never tried it with the AFT.

Well, after reading Paul's post, I decided to take back out my AFT and try it with the SanDisk Ultra II 4GB SDHC.

Oddly, it worked fine for a while (20 minutes of mixed testing) and even overcranked for a while up to 40FPS.
BUT, as time progressed, it started to crash and have restore media errors. It got to a point it was even failing running HQ modes.

At one time it would not even restore or format the Ultra II SDHC. I had to format it with my PC.

This is odd. If Paul is having success after long testing, I'd be interested how well the SanDisk Ultra II will perform in his AFT cards. The SanDisk Ultra II is capable of sustaining 40FPS overcrank, so I'm wondering if the Ultra II will offer 40FPS overcrank with Paul's after long testing.

Is it possible my AFT card has a problem? If so, it's acting like it perform well when initially used. Maybe a thermal issue? - I don't know. But, I wish I had another to try.

Maybe, I'll order another AFT.

I tossed in my Kensington & Ultra II and fired up overcrank at 40FPS. This works well with no issues. Quick start and stops, long runs ... I can't get it to fail.

Paul, I'd like to hear more from you on testing the AFT. If you can get your hands on the SanDisk Ultra II 15MB/s, I'd be interested if you can sustain 40FPS overcrank. Also try quick start and stops. Test this overcrank at 40FPS for over an hour. I'd be real interested if yours works.. If so, my AFT card is defective. I'm hoping this is the case.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #336
Major Player

Steven, can you confirm that your tests with the extreme III cards showed a failure with the AFT card, as I have on order, 2 16gb extreme III 's as well as the long lost Kensingtons.

I managed to get a media restore error today with the Patriot running at 36 overcrank - out in the sun for 2 hours doing timelapse tests as well - maybe a heat issue??

No failures yet on normal HQ either with the Transcend 8gb or the Patriot.

I'm stuck waiting for the mail, it's so hard to buy anything here!

Paul
Old September 28th, 2008, 10:36 AM   #337
Trustee

The new SanDisk Extreme III 30MB/s SDHC cards do not work in the AFT PROExpress-7.

Maybe you missed it in my initial tests I posted. I know it's getting hard to follow.

It may be that the Patriot can only overcrank to 33FPS or so?

As I mentioned in my last post, if you can get your hands on the SanDisk Ultra II 15MB/s SDHC.
The Kensington will run 40FPS without any issues.

Try to get your hands on an Ultra II SDHC.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #338
Major Player

With the testing ongoing, it is in fact confusing to keep up with what to do if one wants to jump into this route right now of using cheaper cards with adapters before the testing is complete.

It is too early for a Sticky.

However, it would be extremely helpful to everyone if the original poster (Brian Rhodes) would update the initial post to reflect a summary of the latest findings as we go along.

I realize that is perhaps an imposition on Brian, but I don't think it too bold to say that all of us would really really appreciate it if Brian would do that for us.

Thanks,

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #339
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
I recall reading either here or on another board that the Transcend 16gb was not performing reliably in HQ mode. Now, it is entirely possible that I misread the post since so much information has been flying around that I'm about on overload.
The negative report was the incident I mentioned, probably from me. The very first card I used was Transcend 8GB card, which I 'bricked' while trying to format it in the Sony. I haven't had that problem with the 16GB version. I don't think anybody else has reported problems with the 16GB version other that it's slower than the Extreme III.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #340
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post
The negative report was the incident I mentioned, probably from me. The very first card I used was Transcend 8GB card, which I 'bricked' while trying to format it in the Sony. I haven't had that problem with the 16GB version. I don't think anybody else has reported problems with the 16GB version other that it's slower than the Extreme III.
I read about someone who had problems with the Transend 16 GB card. Apparently long recordings could become corrupt without the camera giving warnings on problems with the recording.
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #341
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Bo View Post

Markus

YES you will be able to close the door on the EX3.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #342
Major Player

I really want to find an adapter that works as well as the Kensington but allows for the door to be closed on the EX1.
Has anyone tried this Synchrotech adapter?

ExpressCard 34 to Multiple Memory Card Adapter, Synchrotech
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #343
Major Player

Hi Ola, that adapter has the same dimensions at the Kensington.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #344
Major Player

My AFT Adapter findings

Here is what I've experienced with the AFT adapter:

With the Sandisk Extreme III I got errors, I can't remember exactly which ones but basically so often that I decided it was too unreliable.

On a lark I tried it with the Transcend 16GB a few days ago. And to my amazement, it seemed to work. However, with more testing I decided it was too unreliable even with the Transcend 16GB. I found the problems to be intermittent, but enough for me to not want to chance using the AFT. Sometimes I could not format it in the EX1, it would hang at 0% other times it worked ok. Sometimes I could record clips with no problem, other times, I would get a media error message. It would be awesome if it worked, being the one reader I know about that allows the EX1 door to close, but using it is too flakey for me. That is why I'm surprised with Paul Newman's reports that it works well for him with the Transcend 8 GB cards.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #345
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
Hi Ola, that adapter has the same dimensions at the Kensington.
Yes, i realise that but according to the page I linked to it has (quote) "Push-In Push-Out Connector For Easy Removal".
That suggests that the SD card would fit deeper inside the card allowing the door to close.

I cannot recall reading about anybody testing this adapter yet, or am I wrong?
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds