SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 25 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 29th, 2008, 03:17 AM   #361
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Phairas View Post
I ordered 2, I plan on using them together. I'll keep a SxS card handy though. Since this topic is directly related, I am still learning Vegas... how to you under and over crank through software? I heard you get better results that way anyhow.
Erik, recording in slo-mo in camera gives better results than slowing down with your editing program.

To slo-mo a clip in vegas, put your cursor on the right hand edge of a clip, press and hold ctrl on the keyboard, now of you look closely you'll see a little ~ sign next to the cursor, now just drag to the right to extend the clip (speed up) or drag to the left to squash the clip (slow down).

Paul.
Old September 29th, 2008, 03:33 AM   #362
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
To slo-mo a clip in vegas, put your cursor on the right hand edge of a clip, press and hold ctrl on the keyboard, now of you look closely you'll see a little ~ sign next to the cursor, now just drag to the right to extend the clip (speed up) or drag to the left to squash the clip (slow down).

Paul.
Actually, it's the other way around, Paul :)
Old September 29th, 2008, 03:41 AM   #363
Trustee

Ha ha. Yes Piotr you're correct.

Just testing to see if everyone's awake !!

Thanks for correcting me.

Paul.
Old September 29th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #364
Trustee

Has anyone noticed how quick the sd cards reformat ?
When i format the sony sxs card it says 0%, 23%, 74% done.
When i format the sd cards transcend 8gb and sandisk extreme 3 8gb the display says 0% then done, in an instant, even when the cards are full.

The only ereor i got was from the sandisk, it hung on 0% when i tried to reformat it, nothing would work on the cam, the display stuck at 0%, even when i switched the camera switch to off,or removed the card, the cam wouldn't switch off, i had to remove the battery in the end.
When i switched cam back on and reinserted the sandisk card it reformatted ok.
Maybe just a glitch, or connection problem.
One time i put an sd card in the cam and it didn't show up, so i took the card out and rubbed the connections and then it showed up when inserted.

Paul.
Old September 29th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #365
Major Player

An Update:

Just to clear up my findings using the AFT card, I have succeeded in getting it to fail along the lines that Steve reported earlier.

All my tests so far were using battery power, I've run some tests on mains power unit and am able to duplicate some of the errors - this all appears to be heat related, so the AFT is to all intents "unreliable" the card appears to create write errors when it gets too hot.

I've also found that it produces read errors into my laptop (Patriot and Transcend cards)
when transfering thru the express port on my laptop. The SDHC card reader in the laptop
produces no errors.

AFT - NOT GOOD

sorry for the misguided initial tests.

Paul
Old September 29th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #366
Trustee

Kensington card reader and transcend class 6 8gb.
Interval record, 1 frame per second, can't recall how long but i ended up with a 3 min clip, no problems.
Also did a short fast-mo, 2 frames per second for about 10 mins, again, no problems.

I've also done short clips and long clips spanning cards, no problems.

Are users still putting cards in this order of preference
1. sandisk extreme 3
2. sandisk ultra 2 ( can get 16gb for £42)
3.transcend (can get 16gb for £26)

Is anyone having problems with transcend 16gb ?

Thanks.
Paul.
Old September 29th, 2008, 06:27 AM   #367
Major Player

User Reviews at Amazon.com USA seem to indicate that the Kensington card reader won't work with a MacBook Pro.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kensington 33407 7-in-1 Media Reader for Expresscard Slot for Memory Stick, Multimedia Card, xD-Picture Card

I don't own a MacBook Pro, but I imagine some here may.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #368
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post

Is anyone having problems with transcend 16gb ?
As I have reported earlier I had so much problems with the Kensington adapter and Transcend 16gb card that I don't use it. Se my earlier posts.
Marten Dalfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 07:18 AM   #369
Major Player

I own a macbook pro, and while it might be a pain in the ass for the kensington not to work,
you can always move the video via a usb2 card reader, or a Firewire one. I can't get
my SxS cards to mount on my desktop unless I push them in by hand, the Lexars work fine.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 07:25 AM   #370
Major Player

Watch out for conterfeit cards

eBay Australia Guides - FAKE SanDisk Ultra Secure Digital Cards Exposed
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #371
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marten Dalfors View Post
As I have reported earlier I had so much problems with the Kensington adapter and Transcend 16gb card that I don't use it. Se my earlier posts.
Have you had problems only during overcrank ?
Or during normal HQ recording also ?

Thanks.
Paul.
Old September 29th, 2008, 07:30 AM   #372
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
Which is exactly why i might pay a bit more for my sd cards but i can buy them over the counter from a shop about 1 mile from my house.
I can't see the point in trying to save a bit more by buying online or from ebay or whatever.
We've gone from £500 for a 16gb sony card down to £25-£40 for a 16gb sandisk or transcend.
What's the point on trying to push savings even more.

Paul.
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #373
Trustee

Why take a chance,
The SanDisk 16GB Ultra II 15MB/s (with the Kensington adaptor) works with NO errors in HQ mode just like the twice expensive new Extreme III 30MB/s version. I've seen the 16GB Ultra II 15MB/s for less than $70 USD.

The SanDisk 16GB Ultra II 15MB/s was just confirmed on "another" forum to work equal to the 4GB Ultra II 15MB/s. It was also reported to overcrank to 40FPS without any errors.
Not that I suggest to overcrank with this SDHC card, but the abilty to overcrank to 40FPS without errors shows us that the card has decent headroom and is safe for all HQ modes.

Right now, unless we find an equal expresscard adaptor that allows the EX1 memory door to close, the working combo is:

kensington 7-in-1 reader
SanDisk 16GB Ultra II 15MB/s OR the "more expensive" SanDisk 16GB Extreme III 30MB/s version

I'm looking forward to hearing if the new SanDisk 32GB Ultra II 15MB/s works.. I'm willing to bet it will.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #374
Trustee

Also,
Why bother worrying if the Kensington will work in your PC,
just grab an $8 SDHC reader and use that.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #375
Major Player

Quote:
I'm looking forward to hearing if the new SanDisk 32GB Ultra II 15MB/s works.. I'm willing to bet it will.
I've got one on pre-order, and I'll post results whenever it arrives.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds