SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 34 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 5th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #496
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Schmukler View Post
Paul - Premiere recognized the files and did the import - but what i got was approximately 10 files, each of almost identical length, and each containing what seems to be identical copies of the contents of both cards.
10 clips at 3.5 gb each i bet. with the same clip number but with a 1 then a 2 then a 3 etc on the end.

The clips are split ( by the cam i think) into smaller clips. If you viewed the clips in clip browser then you would see 1 long clip, which in reality is what it was. If you then rewrapped using clip browser then those consecutive clips get rewrapped as 1 clip into a long mxf clip.

But we're not talking about rewrapping here, just copying, so windows is safe then, which i thought it would be.
So, multiple sdhc cards in multiple readers,for multiple offload, this gets better.

Thanks.
Paul.
Old October 5th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #497
Trustee

Actually - I never considered the thought on transferring multiple SDHC cards at the same time.
Now that will match up to SxS transfer offload to PC speed. Well, unless you're rich enough (lol) to own a couple Sony SxS readers.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #498
Trustee

Alternatives for Kensington?

Does anybody have any experience with the Sony MSAC-EX1 Memory Stick Duo Express Card adapter in combination with Memory Stick Pro Duo Mark2? Does it allow the card door to be closed and does the card work reliably ?

Same question about the SanDisk ExpressCard adapter. Can the door be closed and does it work as reliably as the Kensington?
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #499
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
...the SanDisk ExpressCard adapter. Can the door be closed and does it work as reliably as the Kensington?
I just returned the SanDisk ExpressCard adapter to Best Buy today... the card wouldn't even go in half way.... and I got the invalid media error. No go for Sandisk's reader.
Old October 5th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #500
Regular Crew

Just ordered my Kensington 7-in-1 card reader. Was browsing through the other forum and saw similiar post on Kensington + SDHC memory combo.
John Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #501
Trustee

He also reported buying five 16GB Ultra II 15MB/s SDHC cards for his EX1. As expected, he said they all work fine with no errors.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 02:28 AM   #502
Regular Crew

Paul -

I went back and played with my files again and found that what I got using clip browser 2.0 and what i got using premiere cs3 was identical and, in both instances they were what you guessed they would be - 10 files with identical names - with 01, 02, etc appended.

So, I am sticking with my original premise - now confirmed by others, that you can use windows - and probably any other operating system - my n800 is linux based - to make nearly simultaneous transfers from multiple sdhc cards at the same time and then use either clip browser, premiere, or any other tool you normally use to re-wrap the files for actual use. It also means that many file backup devices used by still photographers in the field will likely be usable as a temporary storage devices for the brav folders - and could also be used to copy the files to another sdhc card - so that we could have three or more copies in the field if so desired - some could even be mailed home as further protection. (At $32 US for 16gb transcend sdhc cards - with a usb reader included (I know it is not the "preferred card, but many have had complete success with it), one could have 26 cards for the price of one 16gb sxs card - so multiple copies would still be relatively inexpensive.)
Eli Schmukler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #503
Regular Crew

As a bit of follow-up to a side comment in my very first post - I read another recent comment from someone at Convergent Design which stated that the ex 1/3 uses the same chip for transcoding as is used in the new Sony 50-422 camera (but it uses 2 of the chips for faster processing), which they have previously stated is also the chip used by convergent design in the flash xdr and nano. Since convergent design uses only 1 chip, I still am speculating that, with the proper code, the ex 1 and 3 could be made to save to express cards at 50-422 - but this is all my speculation - based on convergent design personnel comments.
Eli Schmukler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 02:58 AM   #504
Trustee

Quote:
(At $32 US for 16gb transcend sdhc cards - with a usb reader included (I know it is not the "preferred card, but many have had complete success with it), one could have 26 cards for the price of one 16gb sxs card - so multiple copies would still be relatively inexpensive.)
I'm using the transcend 16gb and 8gb cards.
No problems so far, plenty of testing, timelapse, interval record, clips spanning cards etc.
As far as i can tell, at the moment, they're the best bang for your buck.

Paul.
Old October 6th, 2008, 03:53 AM   #505
Trustee

Faster Transcend SDHC >150X

When i got my transcend cards (133x) i looked at the paperwork which came with it, there is listed on that piece of paper a faster sdhc, at 150x, different model/part number.
My supplier has now got 1 in stock for me to try so i'll be trying the overcrank test today or tomorrow, i'll post results and price here.

Paul.
Old October 6th, 2008, 04:22 AM   #506
Major Player

Quote:
As a bit of follow-up to a side comment in my very first post - I read another recent comment from someone at Convergent Design which stated that the ex 1/3 uses the same chip for transcoding as is used in the new Sony 50-422 camera (but it uses 2 of the chips for faster processing), which they have previously stated is also the chip used by convergent design in the flash xdr and nano. Since convergent design uses only 1 chip, I still am speculating that, with the proper code, the ex 1 and 3 could be made to save to express cards at 50-422 - but this is all my speculation - based on convergent design personnel comments.
Wow I wonder if convergent designs or similar could modify the cameras for this!
Mark David Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 07:46 AM   #507
Convergent Design

Quote:
Hi Eli-
Just for clarification, MPEG2 4:2:2 requires two CODEC chips. The Sony PDW-700 and our Flash XDR / nanoFlash have 2 of these CODECs to support the 4:2:2 profile. The EX1/EX3 only has one CODEC and therefore will always be limited to 4:2:0 color space.

But, of course, when you add the Flash XDR or nanoFlash to the EX1/EX3 you can get datarates up to 4:2:2 100 Mbps (Long-GOP) or 160 Mbps (I-Frame).
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #508
New Boot

Can anyone see why not this would not work in a EX 30 Record deck?
Anyone got one that they could try?

Thanks
Martin
Martin Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #509
Major Player

Hi
Got the Sony MSAC-EX1 Memory stick duo expresscard adapter and if fits perfectly into the compartment and the door can be closed on the EX3. Now I am only waiting for a memory stick duo pro that is fast enough. I'll let you know if it works.
----Bo Skelmose
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #510
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Skelmose View Post
Hi
Got the Sony MSAC-EX1 Memory stick duo expresscard adapter and if fits perfectly into the compartment and the door can be closed on the EX3. Now I am only waiting for a memory stick duo pro that is fast enough. I'll let you know if it works.
----Bo Skelmose

This combo will not work take a look at the first page.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds