SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 40 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 14th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #586
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
Has anyone tried this Card Sandisk HD 16gb?

SDSDHV016GA15 SanDisk 16 GB Video HD SDHC Memory Card
Does anyone have access to test these locally? They are reported as a hair slower than the Ultra II's, but still faster than the EX1/3 USB bus so overcranking to 40 should still be fine.

They are really about the same price as the Ultra II 16GB cards ($65), but these VideoHD cards have a $30 rebate each, or $70 rebate for every two, which drops the price to $30 each. The only limitation listed on the rebate form is maximum of two cards per form!
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #587
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
With the testing ongoing, it is in fact confusing to keep up with what to do if one wants to jump into this route right now of using cheaper cards with adapters before the testing is complete.

It is too early for a Sticky... however, it would be extremely helpful to everyone if the original poster (Brian Rhodes) would update the initial post to reflect a summary of the latest findings as we go along.
Here's the deal: we need a concise summary of this entire thread in article format that we can add to the Articles section of the site... something we can use as a definitive reference... and then I'll add a link to that article from this forum, as a sticky.

Note -- I'm not looking for anything elsewhere on the web, but an original piece that we can host *right here* on DV Info Net, with photos, etc. If somebody is willing to take this on and put it together, I'll find a way to make it worth their time somehow. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #588
Trustee

Chris, I'm up for it.
I can get it done over the weekend.
Is this soon enough?
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #589

Chris, I'd be willing to take a stab at it, since I'm moving in this direction. However, rather than focus on what doesn't work, I'd rather focus on what does work.

Does that make sense?
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #590
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell View Post
rather than focus on what doesn't work, I'd rather focus on what does work.
Actually I think it's equally important to state what was tested and did not work.

Otherwise people could *assume* that certain combos would work while they don't, or don't work reliably enough.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #591
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell View Post
Chris, I'd be willing to take a stab at it, since I'm moving in this direction. However, rather than focus on what doesn't work, I'd rather focus on what does work.

Does that make sense?
Jay, since my schedule does not permit until later this week, please go ahead with this summary.
Thanks
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #592
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks fellows, whether it's one article co-authored, or two or more separate articles, I'm all for whatever it takes to boil this into something easily readable. I think there's more than enough solid info within this thread, and the challenge will be how to distill it down to a solid, workable article that's not too long or too short. I agree that it should focus primarily on what works (with perhaps a side note or two listing incompatible cards and readers).

Old October 14th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #593
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Here's the deal: we need a concise summary of this entire thread in article format that we can add to the Articles section of the site... something we can use as a definitive reference... and then I'll add a link to that article from this forum, as a sticky.

Note -- I'm not looking for anything elsewhere on the web, but an original piece that we can host *right here* on DV Info Net, with photos, etc. If somebody is willing to take this on and put it together, I'll find a way to make it worth their time somehow. Thanks in advance,

Chris I have an excel spread sheet with data rates and Cards that work and do not work was waiting on the 32gb cards before I posted it. I can send it to you tomr.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #594

Chris, Steve, Brian...

In all fairness, Brian should have first right of refusal in doing this, it was his idea.

Insfar as schedules are concerned, it's not like I could bang this out in a week. Therefore, Steve, by your posting first, you're second in line.

I came in third!
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #595
Trustee

OK cool.
Brian, if you're up for it, Jay and I can offer support by looking over your info and possibly assist with the work?

Steve
proaudio4@cox.net
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #596
Obstreperous Rex

A group effort sounds like a winner, and a spreadsheet is a great idea Brian!

Old October 14th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #597
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
A group effort sounds like a winner, and a spreadsheet is a great idea Brian!
I will email it to you guys tomr. to look over I will also format a doc in html format with some pics.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #598

Sounds like a plan!
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #599
Obstreperous Rex

By the way I've merged several threads together:

"Lexar SXS cards, where to buy in the UK?"
started by Paul Kellett, 30 replies and 1,550 views

"FAST SDHC Memory for the EX1"
started by Steven Thomas, 50 replies and 3,000 views

"Cards that will & will not work with EX1 & EX3"
started by Brian Rhodes, 460 replies and 20,300 views

I think I'm still missing the one that first kicked off the idea, was it from Alister Chapman? Anyway, Brian's thread was already ginormous at 460 posts, so I figured another 80 wouldn't make much of a difference in the length -- a long thread is a long thread -- just wanted to keep everything under one roof to make things a little easier to research.

New title is "SDHC substitute for SxS cards" -- hopefully it gets the point across,

Old October 14th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #600
Trustee

Thanks Chris.
Yes, it was Alister who first mentioned the SDHC card / Kensington expresscard adaptor.
I'm not sure what thread this post is located.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds