SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 41 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 14th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #601
Obstreperous Rex

Okay, I found some earlier related posts which I've copied and pasted into this thread... so far it looks like the original query probably came from Oyvind Stokkan, and was answered by Alister, Steven, Brian and obviously many others... at any rate I think we've now got the entire thing consolidated into one long (very long) discussion.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #602
Trustee

What is the Guinness record for the longest message board thread? :)

Chris, thanks for consolidating the threads - I was tracking "FAST SDHC Memory for the EX1" separately, and I'm sure people who just discover this info will appreciate having everything under one roof.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 07:01 PM   #603
Obstreperous Rex

Ack... don't take us off-topic, Alex... please...

But since you've asked, I've always understood that the largest forum on the internet, Gaia Online, with 15 million members and 1.4 billion posts, has the longest thread in existence, something like 5.6 million posts to one single thread... but I've never seen it. Only heard about it. It used to be located at http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/chat...nal/t.1488895/ but now that link is a dead-end for me.

Here's a big one, though, from a site that's using the same forum software as we are: http://www.donmurphy.net/board/showthread.php?t=3789 -- it has more than 11,680 pages and 292,000 posts. That's what I call a long thread.

We've had several discussions here over the years that have stretched out to 1,000+ posts, and that's with careful maintenance, keeping the thing on-topic and focused while pruning out the chatter and meta-discussion (such as "gee this is a long thread LOL" -- I take great pride in deleting that noise). Which is what this has become now, so please take the subject up in our TOTEM forum and let's leave this thread for the matter at hand. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #604
Trustee

Just received 2 more IOC-9750 adapters.

And now I agree with Brian and others - they *are* dicey.

You really have to play with them, popping in and out of cam, for the combo to be recognized. (I use Sandisk Extreme III 16Gb card, btw.)

In my personal opinion, since they actually do work with a bit of fumbling, and at the $8 price, they are still worth it. About $70 for 16Gb = 58min of footage, versus SxS card's retail cost of $750, or rental cost of $125/day (!).

...or, stop penny-pinching and buy Kensington adapter already :)

Note that I currently have only 1 card, so I never tried adapters in both A-B slots simultaneously. (Why did I need 3 adapters then? For when I'd rent a second EX1, I'd buy 2 more Sandisk cards, likely Ultra IIs 16Gb, and together with my one SxS I'd be all set for 2hrs recording time on each EX1.)
Old October 14th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #605
Trustee

As longs as you do not remove the SDHC cards, two Kensington expresscards in the EX works just like two SxS (without overcrank of course).

Just eject the kensington like you would the SxS card.

If you like and you're using only one Kensington, you can leave the Kensington in and remove the SDHC card.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #606
Trustee

And cam always recognizes the combo?

If yes, then Kensington seems to be the only *reliable* adapter as of now...
Old October 14th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #607

I've not a great deal of experience with them, but, the Kensington and a Transcend 16Gb card are working for me. Transcend class 6, 16Gb for $37 at a well known computer parts vendor.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #608
Regular Crew

Transcend class 6, 16Gb are less than half the price of Sandisk Ultra II - and they seem to work without errors.

why do most of you prefer the Sandisk-cards?
Thomas Diehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 04:47 AM   #609
Trustee

Me and my colloeague have been using the Transcend cards, no problems at all.
I suspect most people use the sandisk because of the branded name, more well known than transcend.

However, do a google for "fake sandisk" and see how much comes up, then google "fake transcend" and see how little comes up.

I've been using the transcend/kensington with no problems, so if it ain't broke why try and fix it, i'm sticking with this combo for now, until a tried and tested push/push adaptor comes out.

Paul.
Old October 15th, 2008, 06:38 AM   #610
Major Player

Paul and Stephen,

I'm using the SDHC solution in my EX3. My card is the Extreme III 16GB. I'm shooting 720 30p.

I played for about four hours yesterday with this solution and overcrank. I was NEVER able to get it to fail overcranked to 52 or less. At 54, it would error within 15 minutes. At 60, it would error within five or ten minutes.

I tried numerous short clips, long clips, etc. I was able to record overcranked to 52 without any issues, filling up my SD card twice (58 minutes each time!)

It seems I'm getting slightly better results than I've read. Is it the EX3? The SD Extreme III? My particular Kensington reader? I was going to purchase some Ultra II's, but I'm thinking about sticking with my current setup.

Do you have any ideas on how I can test this more rigorously?

Thanks,
Old October 15th, 2008, 07:04 AM   #611

Sonnet has just announced a hi-speed expresscard that holds 2 CF cards here:
http://www.sonnettech.com/news/ibc2008/index.html (thanks Mike Schell)
While you wouldn't be able to close the door on the EX, it would, potentially, enable you to use CF cards in the EX.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #612
Major Player

I am looking for a portable storage solution, not archiving, and wonder if CF or SDHC is the way to go. I think this is still on topic, and not a hijack.

I will be on location for six weeks in Tibet and I need a small storage solution for the raw BVAP folders. I will have my Macbook Pro with me, but I am trying to avoid carrying hard drives. I thought about a blu ray burner, but SDHC is about the same cost as a blu ray disc.

I shoot on SxS - I have six of these, but CF or SDHC could be a cheap temporary storage solution - does anyone know how rugged and stable they are?
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #613
Major Player

you may want to consider adding a new 500gb samsung spinpoint HDD to your macbook pro.
i saw one yesterday for $138, and it only takes about an hour to upgrade one yourself.

you could also get an Other World Computing on the go enclosure for cheap, and add the 500gb drive to that. they come in usb 2 and bus powered FW800. They are small and portable, easily stashable in a carry on, or backpack.

Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #614
Major Player

For dumping SDHC cards, I can use my 500GB Seagate Free Agent Go Drive. It's only 5 x 3-1/8 x 1/2 inches.

If you are really against this, you could check try a Multimedia Storage Viewer from a company like Vosonic or WolverineData. They won't play back your HD files, sadly, but they should be effective for temporary storage.

They do read SDHC cards, but I'm noticing that they use FAT on the drive - they may be limited to 2GB chunks (not good) - I'll check on this...
Old October 15th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #615
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
In my personal opinion, since they actually do work with a bit of fumbling, and at the $8 price, they are still worth it. About $70 for 16Gb = 58min of footage, versus SxS card's retail cost of $750, or rental cost of $125/day (!).

OH NO!,

Based upon your original recommendation regarding the Cables Unlimited cards I just received four of them from Buy.com yesterday.

In terms of the $5.00 rebate, the rebate form says Limit one rebate per address(except Rhode Island, limit two rebates per address).

That aside, do you think I should return them all unopened and get the Kensington Card readers?

And also, what do you mean by the statement that they work with a "bit of fumbling"? What kind of fumbling? Too much fumbling to pay attention to shooting?

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds