SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 53 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 30th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #781
Major Player

Wow, I paid almost $80 each for my 16gb Transcend SD cards 3 months ago! Looks like it is now almost as cheap an archival storage medium as XDCAM disks without the need for the Sony disk writer! Unbelievable.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #782
Major Player

Just to say I think the SDHC combo is pretty amazing as I was reading my Sony EX1 handbook which states:

"An SxS memory card on which an error occurred may become usable again through repeated formatting"

and...

"In some cases, only parts of clips cannot be restored. Playback of the restored clips becomes possible again"

Not sure what this means exactly, but obviously SxS is fallible too.

Paul
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:55 AM   #783
Major Player

I found what I think is the lowest current price on the Transcend 16 GB cards figuring in tax and shipping combined.

Newegg is selling them right now for $31.99

Newegg.com - Transcend 16GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model TS16GSDHC6 - Flash Memory

Note that it says that the shipping is $6.99 for 3 business day shipping. If you add two to the shopping cart there is an option for "Egg Saver" shipping at $3.99 shipping for both. If you add more than two the price for shipping goes up to $14.99. Tax only in NJ and Calif.
So assuming you order two Transcend TS16GSDHC6 cards the final cost shipped is $67.97 ($33.99 each).

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #784
Regular Crew

John thanks for the lead on the Kensington 7-in-1 their was a Micro Center 5 minutes from were i work and they just happen to have 2 and i bought them.
Joe Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #785
Major Player

John,

Thanks, I just picked up a pair also.
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #786
Trustee

Will the Sony Duo cards fit directy into the Kensington adapter, or do you need to use the "memory stick" sleeve for the Duo, and insert the sleeve into the Kensington?
Old October 30th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #787
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
Will the Sony Duo cards fit directy into the Kensington adapter, or do you need to use the "memory stick" sleeve for the Duo, and insert the sleeve into the Kensington?
You have to use the sleeve.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #788
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
You have to use the sleeve.
They do fit directly into the i-dot-connect reader, with no sleeve.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #789
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami Sanpakkila View Post
... could someone give a link to a place to buy the Kensington adapter and 16GB cards within Europe?
Hei Sami,

Just ordered two Kensington 7-in-1 Card Reader ExpressCard total of 51.80e from verkkokauppa.com,
They have also both the SanDisk 16GB SDHC VideoHD 240min muistik for 77.90e and Transcend 16GB Class 6 SDHC-muistikortti for 44.90e on shelf in Ruoholahti,
possible in Tampere too. The Transcend bundled with a USB reader

Ole hyvä,

Atti
Old October 31st, 2008, 06:43 AM   #791
Inner Circle

These links will only work for UK purchasers as amazon segments the EU into it's various sites - I believe.

As it happens, earlier today I ordered the Kensington 7-in-1 expresscard reader and the Sandisk 16GB Ultra II SDHC card much discussed on here (from amazon uk as per links above). Total price (including shipping) was about £55.

As has been written before but I'll reiterate it again!!!!!, THANKS to everyone who has investigated and shared their experiences with this low cost option. Once I'd learnt that I will be able to close the door on my EX3 and shoot in all but the most data rate hungry slowmo frame rates with this set-up it became a "must have" supplement for the 3 x 8GB Sony & SanDisk SxS cards that I already have. For sure I'll use this 16GB stick on non-critical stuff to begin with until I trust it but the shared information from so many of you suggests it's a well spent few quid.

I owe you all a beer sometime (well maybe not, nearly 800 posts on this thread!....it would be cheaper for me to buy lots of Sony 32GB SxS!)
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:09 AM   #792
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
These links will only work for UK purchasers as amazon segments the EU into it's various sites - I believe.
Amazon.co.uk: Help*>*Dispatch & Delivery*>*Delivery Rates*>*International Delivery Rates*>*Western Europe Delivery Rates

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:22 AM   #793
Inner Circle

Thanks for the clarification John :-)
Old November 1st, 2008, 12:06 AM   #794
Regular Crew

Just curious. Why is this thread not a sticky? it has more replies and pages than any of
current threads in the sticky threads. Say that 10 times, but seriously as important as
this is should'nt it of made it by now?
Joe Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 06:05 AM   #795
Trustee

How I learnt not to pay exorbitant prices and love the SDHC

Sony EX1/EX3 cams use special SxS cards which are very fast to allow HD video recording at regular and overcranked speeds.

If you don't need full range of overcranking SxS cards provide (and you rarely will), there's a way to pay about 10 times less for the same hour of quality HD video recording, by using an adapter with certain SDHC cards instead of SxS.

Your camera's software, and your hardware have to be compatible however.

How to:

1. Make sure your EX1's firmware is upgraded to v1.11 (You can send it to Sony for the upgrade if you have older version, and pay $100 fee. Some people DIY that at home though using the leaked firmware files and a sledgehammer. OK, not a sledgehammer - a tiny philips screwdriver to uncover the special USB port will do.)

2. Get Kensington adapter.

3. Get Transcend 16Gb Class 6 or Sandisk 16Gb Ultra II card. (Sandisk also makes other cards compatible with the camera/adapter, but they do not improve performance appreciatively and have worse price/performance ratio than above listed cards.)

4. Stick the Transcend or Sandisk card into Kensington adapter. Treat the combo like you would an SxS card (it even looks similar) - insert it into EX1 as one piece, and eject it the same way. Here you have it - a substitute for SxS card at 10x lower price.

Prices: Currently SxS can be had for under $800, while Transcend combo will cost you under $80, and Sandisk combo under $100. Of course you can also use these cards in your compatible DSLR camera, such as Nikon D80/D90, as well.

Again, you cannot do overcranking at full range with Kensington-based combos. 24p usually maxes out at 40fps overcrank for reliable recording; but all other shooting modes will work fine.

And, adapter/card combos do not fit inside the EX1's compartment entirely, so the door won't close. Not too good in dusty environment - but a small piece of lo-tek gaffers tape will help.

It may be a good idea to get as many Kensington adapters as many cards you have, so to keep the cards in the adapters at all times and simply insert a new blank combo in your camera as needed, if you have to record for longer than 56 minutes that 16Gb cards allow, without having to offload/delete the cards on location.

It also may be useful to use Shotput software that allows offloading to multiple locations for instant backup, plus data verification to ensure all your precious video was copied intact.

Here, now make it a sticky :)
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds