SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 58 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 7th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #856
Trustee

Ethan, it'll look great if these flash drives

- have high enough bandwidth
- are reliable
- and hopefully, fit in so EX1 door would close

Anyone knows the specs? Geeks web page does not seem to say much.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #857
Trustee

Frys has those Adata SSD cards (w/ USB port) all the way up to 32GB.

A month ago I tried the 16GB version. The EX1 gave an incompatible media error.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #858
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
My Kensington 7-in-1 Expresscard 34 arrived today (my Sandisk 16GB Ultra II SDHC card arrived at the weekend).

Put it all in slot 1 of my EX3, closed the door .... :-) and then turned the EX3 on. So far so good.

Then I got a message asking me to format the card so I did. Then I got a "media error, cannot format" type error.... :-(

Turned it off, unplugged everything, re-mounted everything and after 3 unsuccessful goes at this it finally formatted successfully. EX3 now shows 58mins available in slot 1 ...back to :-) !!!!

Recorded a few quick clips and everything now seems to be OK. I'll certainly put it through it's paces before I'll trust it with an hours worth of important clips though.

Did anyone else get a worrying introduction to using SDHC like this?
Well I promised to report back on this. It's still early days but everything is working fine. Did a lot of 1920x1080 (25p) filming today with SDHC and just used a SxS for some 60fps slow motion (1280x720) stuff. I did not try and push over-cranked clips onto SDHC as this will surely risk a data error if I went close to an approx 50fps limit or above as well reported by others. Just reviewed all clips on MBP etc. etc., everything working exactly as expected. So far, so good! Very happy!!!! I will test the over-cranking limit on SDHC when I get time (on non-critical stuff) and report that soon.
Old November 9th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #859
Trustee

Glad to hear its working for you Andy.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #860
Major Player

I've opened up an AFT Express adapter, in which the SDHC fits snuggly and the door of the EX1 closes - next I'm gonna trash a Kensington and see if I can marry them - not sure I have the tiny soldering gear needed!!

Still using 8 SDHC combo's daily, no errors and I'm getting close to pulling the silly door right off.

Paul
Old November 9th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #861
Trustee

Paul, let us know how that project pans out.
I located this resource for the push/push media a while back. Maybe you can make use of it.

How hard was it to open the AFT up?

I have not tried. Gives us an idea how.
Old November 9th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #862
Regular Crew

Finally got around to ordering the kensington/sandisk, should be here in a week.

me so excited
Jon Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #863
Major Player

This is an image of the two cards private parts! The Kensington is above and the AFT below. It is simple to see why the Kensington cannot accept the SDHC fully in, it has more sophisticated electronics than the AFT.

Whilst the AFT accepts the card, it doesn't work - even giving errors when copying files from a card to my laptop through the express card slot.

For those who are concerned: No cards where subject to cruelty during these tests and both cards still function as normal.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
SDHC substitute for SxS cards-kensingtonaft-image.jpg  
Old November 9th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #864
Trustee

So based on your internal image of the Kensington, it uses a Genesys Logic USB 2.0 Flash Card Reader Controller GL827

Genesys Logic

So if we can find an expresscard card that offers this controller and has a push/push media connector, this may be the "magic" combo.

Last edited by Steven Thomas; November 9th, 2008 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Can't spell... lol
Old November 9th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #865
Major Player

This weekend I was shooting a drag race out at the sand dunes. In a rush I forgot to switch to my SXS card and I was shooting 720 30P in 60p slow motion mode. That is the highest bitrate setting isn't it?

Anyway, I shot a few races before I realized I was using the SDHC combo... worked fine for the short races.. 600ft with a top speed of about 70mph. (uphill in the sand)
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 04:23 AM   #866
Inner Circle

Tested my EX3 with Kensington 7-in-1 and Sandisk 16GB Ultra out this morning at different frame rates in 720p. Waved the camera around for 5 minutes in a "busy" room so lots of fast motion of complex detail

45 fps - fine
48 fps - fine
50 fps - media error after about 3 minutes on one occassion, fine for 5 minutes second time.
52 fps - media error after about 20 seconds on both occassions
55 fps - media error after about 5 seconds
60 fps - media error almost instantly.

This seems to confirm MOST of the experiences of others except my SDHC is maybe slightly on the lower end of performance. Want to swap cards with me Erik!!!! :-)

(EDIT: To clarify regarding Ted's comment below I'm in PAL land and the camera was set at 720 25p video format and then overcranked as described)

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; November 10th, 2008 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Clarify setting
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 06:12 AM   #867
Trustee

You must of been lucky.. lol
Old November 10th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #868
Major Player

You were shooting 30P, right?

I've discovered different (lesser) results shooting 24P.

In 30P, I can shoot reliably at 52 - a full hour or starts and stops with no errors. In 24P, I can shoot at 41, but at 42 I get errors after about 25 minutes or so.

This makes sense, as the frames are "smaller" in 30P since 30 of them must fit into the same 35 Mbps stream as 24 frames do in 24P.

30P OC'd to 52 is recording at about 1.74x
41 OC'd frames at 24P is recording at about 1.74x

35 Mbps content overcranked 1.74x is about 60Mbps

The EX3 (and presumably EX1) hits a wall after this. You might say overcranking is "Gone in 60 Mbps" if you were into obscure movie reference puns.
Old November 10th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #869
Major Player

ummm something must be going on then.. I just recorded about 30 seconds in 720X30p at 60fps overcranking using the kensington and 16gb Ultra II and it worked fine... shaking the camera like crazy too.

I am uploading some video right not for a project... but later this week I will make a video of my EX3 with only the kensington combo doing some overcranking for you guys.

EDIT: just filmed the TV (so there would be movement) for 3 minutes straight.. no errors. 60fps slow motion.
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 06:26 AM   #870
Trustee

Mine arrived. It works great. I recorded some HQ 1080 24p and played it back in the camera with no problems. But for some reason, when I took the SD card out of the adapter and put it in my laptop nothing happened. My laptop can't see it. But it can see all my other scan disk SD cards. Any ideas why? Is it because it is formatted for the SxS system (the camera asked me to format it before I could use it)? I was hoping I would be able to off load my footage by inserting the SD card into my laptop as I don't have an express 34 slot, just 54. Although I heard you can also buy an adapter to read 34 cards in a 54 slot. Has anybody tried that, especially with the SDHC combo? Thanks.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds