SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 64 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 18th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #946
Major Player

Just upgraded my firmware and picked up a kensington adapter ($34.43 at buy.com) and 16gb sandisk ultra ii sdhc (~$65 at adorama). overall very impressed at how easy it was. im surprised the setup doesnt support 60fps overcranking given the card is rated at 15MBps by sandisk and my computer benchmarks it at 17MBps read and write. maybe i should do a benchmark reading the card through my ex1 to my computer over usb, i bet the camera isnt getting all it can out of the card. oh well. i am debating maybe buying a whole bunch of these cards and a cf-sdhc adapter so i can use the same sdhc media for the ex1 and the 5dmk2 (when it actually ships, i preordered 2 months ago). might be nice to have faster cf media, though, since it could double the speed of offloading footage, but at 3x the price.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:28 PM   #947
Trustee

Noah, it's buried in these posts. But after a LOT of testing we're fairly certain the datarate limitation for USB over the EX expresscard slot is a Sony issue. Or, Sony intentionally limited this datarate, which is what I believe.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #948
Regular Crew

Hi Noah, I don't think it would work with the 5Dmk2 as the door needs to be shut before the camera accesses the card...unless you can bodge up the door's sensor! Plus it would stick out a mile on the 5D!

Evan
Evan Meades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #949
Major Player

I think Noah means putting the SDHC card in another adapter, this time CF-SDHC. Noah, do you know if CF-SDHC are actually available? I have CF to SD, but it does not work with SDHC cards.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #950
Major Player

yeah sorry maybe i wasnt clear, i was talking about putting a cf-sdhc adapter in the 5d and putting only the sdhc in it. expresscard adapter for ex1 and cf adapter for 5dmk2, only the sdhc card moves around.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #951
Major Player

Just paid for my EX1 and am now looking into the Kensington Reader and the Sandisk cards. Sorry if this seems redundant but the thread is so long and developments swift... am I still best off with the Kensington Card Reader number K33407 (EU) and the Sandisk Ultra II 16GB 15 mb/s cards?

Jeroen
Jeroen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #952
Trustee

Yes, use either Sandisk:

Kensington adapter + Sandisk card

or Transcend (cheaper, works the same):

Kensington adapter (shows in-stock now!) + Transcend card
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 10:36 AM   #953
Regular Crew

Jeroen I believe you are correct. Although I have not tested it, but playing close attention to this thread that seems like the best working substitute.

I got my Sandisk Ultra IIs on amazon.. going to Microcenter today to pick up my Kensington readers :D

Thank you everybody for your hard work.
James Dierx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #954
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel View Post
expresscard adapter for ex1 and cf adapter for 5dmk2, only the sdhc card moves around.
Noah, where did you find a cf-sdhc adapter?
Who ist the manufacturer? Any links you can give? Thx.
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #955
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen Wolf View Post
Just paid for my EX1 and am now looking into the Kensington Reader and the Sandisk cards. Sorry if this seems redundant but the thread is so long and developments swift... am I still best off with the Kensington Card Reader number K33407 (EU) and the Sandisk Ultra II 16GB 15 mb/s cards?

Jeroen
You better hurry up! The availability of the Kensington 7-in-1 reader is very, very slim.

The rumor is that Kensington has discontinued the reader. I would suggest looking around pronto and maybe jones around some of the other forums with threads related to this topic you might find out some valuable information on a place to get one.

EDIT:

I see Alex has found some for you on Amazon. Quick!
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #956
Major Player

I can find plenty here in the Netherlands- maybe I should collect them and start a little business on the side... ;-)

I'm getting 2 8 gig S&S cards. Two extra 16 gig SDHC cards should get me thru most shooting situation... or should I get 4 SDHC cards? Really not looking forward to cutting all those cards in half though... (just watched that most interesting demo video of a 'madman' doing a job on a 16 gig card with a pair of scissors.)
Jeroen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #957
Major Player

Jeroen, I am selling two 16Gb SxS cards at the moment at £400 each. A real bargain as they have hardly been used. Anyone interested message me.

As for the Ultra 32Gb cards, I have just had an email from the supplier in the Uk who says they are not yet in the country. So much for getting my hands on one before the end of the month! Be lucky to see one this side of the New year.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #958
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen Wolf View Post
(just watched that most interesting demo video of a 'madman' doing a job on a 16 gig card with a pair of scissors.)
Can you give us a link? I did not think it was possible to cut down the size on them to make it possible to close the door on the EX1.
Old November 19th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #959
Major Player

Ola, here it is:

SDHC card shaving | Fohdeesha Media

Enjoy
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #960
Major Player

Just ordered another adapter and card. Amazons linked to thenerds.com who had 2 left so i got another one, im a little worried that they will be discontinued and not be available anymore. also dell.com has 16gb sandisk ultra ii sdhc for $50 so i grabbed another one of those.

anyone interested in buying 2 lightly used 8GB Sony SxS cards from me? :)
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds