SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 94 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:05 AM   #1396
Trustee

Yes, just place your SD card in a reader and use ClipBrowser to transfer the files. You may have to wait a few seconds for the card to show up, sometimes I find it quicker to shut down CB 2 and start it up again. So far no lost clips, other than the ones I didn't select whilst doing a transfer - you only make this mistake once.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:25 AM   #1397
Trustee

When you remove one card and then put the next card in, click on the clip window then hit F5 (refresh) on the keyboard. This makes the card/clip show up faster.

Paul.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:50 AM   #1398
Regular Crew

Yes, I have a Mac Pro and I purchased a SDCH card reader and it works very good.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:04 PM   #1399
Major Player

Damn, just had Delkin Efilm adapter die on me, must be the contacts.. time to do a MxR order.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #1400
Regular Crew

My suggestion is to carry x2 more MxR, because contacts would be the weakest element of the system and failure likely to happen just because of connectivity problem.
Mark Krichever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:09 PM   #1401
New Boot

Silicon Power

See this:

Charts, benchmarks SDHC Memory Card Charts, Minimum Write Transfer Rates

And this:

silicon Power Silicon-Power Products
Gabriel Soares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 06:55 PM   #1402
Major Player

will not work with overcranking

Sorry for not getting this but what exactly is considered overcranking on the EX1 1080 30p?
or 720 60p?
Either, is the kensington adapter the way to go? Most reliable, etc?
Best, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:25 PM   #1403
Regular Crew

I've used the Kensingtons without one failure. But they are too long and the door does not close on the EX1. I sold them and have been using the MxRs with the Sandisk and Transend 16bg (without one failure).
Kevin Cates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:19 AM   #1404
New Boot

DO you guys have as many MxR cards as you have SD cards, or do you swap them "on the fly"?
Thomas Alexander Mikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:35 AM   #1405
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Alexander Mikel View Post
DO you guys have as many MxR cards as you have SD cards, or do you swap them "on the fly"?
I've got a dozen adaptors now.

I've been on a four day shoot, just shoving the suckers in like fresh tapes, bag for empties, bag for fulls. No stress.

You really don't want to be fiddling about when shooting.

Compared to SxS, we can afford to have an adaptor per card. You may sell the cards on to the client post-shoot, and that's not a problem.

Just that lovely feeling of a pocket full of sticks - we'll shoot until the talent runs out of oxygen. Man, the time I asked for a little break to offload? For those who had never done this before, I got so much stink. Bad enough changing tapes. Swapping cards? Anathema. Sheesh, the shorter it is, the bigger the problem.

Before all this SDHC stuff became possible, I remember planning a point in which I would do a download while on a train between locations on a hectic day's shoot, but was worried about battery life with 2x HDs, 1 MacBook Pro and finding a fricken seat with a table on the train between locations. That's when I purchased a truck load of adaptors and SD cards.

IMHO buy an adaptor per SDHC card so you have, erm, a sort of 'clip'. Insert alternative scene of your favourite action movie here.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:35 PM   #1406
Regular Crew

Silicon Power

Has anyone tried the Silicon Power card in the ex1 ?

Wayne
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #1407
Regular Crew

To me it's so easy to take the SDHC cards out of the adaptors that I get by easily with just two adaptors.
Peter Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #1408
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wright View Post
To me it's so easy to take the SDHC cards out of the adaptors that I get by easily with just two adaptors.
Yes,

As long as you remove the adapter from the camera first. So if you are shooting for more than 108 minutes you still have to take the adapter out of the camera and change SDHC cards before re-inserting it back into the camera. It's easier to have many of them loaded and ready to go.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #1409
Major Player

I think it's all about reducing work when on location. I have seen a post somewhere that highlights that the cock up factor is not something to contemplate with this media. I have 10 MXR with Transcend 16gbs + 4 SXS 16gbs - these will normally keep me going for 2-3 days without downloading. I can mark the adaptors much more easily than the SDHC card.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #1410
New Boot

Silicon Power SDHC cards

Would I like anybody to know it is using the cards Silicon Power, and if they are good same? I saw in Tom´s Hardware that test Minimum Write Transfer Rates and I liked a lot!
Will it be that the card is good same?

Charts, benchmarks SDHC Memory Card Charts, Minimum Write Transfer Rates
Eduardo Castelan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds