SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 97 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 06:58 AM   #1441
Trustee

Has anyone tried the Pretec SSD cards, they're exactly the same size as sxs ?

Paul.
Old November 4th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #1442
Major Player

I'm interested if anyone has tried any of the solid state Expresscards, like this one:

Newegg.com - Transcend TS16GSSD34E-M 16GB ExpressCard External Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

My hope is that the storage is on the PCI bus rather than the USB bus, thereby allowing overcranking.

Thoughts?
Old November 4th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #1443
Inner Circle

I think the reason why you're not getting responses is that people tend to stick with what works. People who have a solution tend not to experiment unless there's a potential advantage.

There's good reason why MxR, MxM, Hoodman came into existence and others use KxS as well. I don't think anyone found a single "native" Express Card solution that worked reliably so no one is looking too hard in that area.

Why experiment when you can get one of the aforementioned adaptors and an ATP ProMax SDHC card which you KNOW works?

I can probably Google and list scores of cards people can try but the incentive isn't there for people to try. This goes for SDHC as well as "native" Express cards.

People may buy something out of desperation since nothing may be immediately available in an emergency and even if a single person tested and vetted it may not be enough for others to look that way.

People have gone through Sandisk, Transcend, ATP because they had to as previous SDHC cards manufacturers apparently changed production. That necessity resulted in quick testing and when a solution was found it was more widely tested and confirmed.

If there was success, you'd likely see it posted and if it were buried you'd find the results in a forum search.

Feel free to buy and try and report though.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #1444
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
I'm interested if anyone has tried any of the solid state Expresscards, like this one:

Newegg.com - Transcend TS16GSSD34E-M 16GB ExpressCard External Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

My hope is that the storage is on the PCI bus rather than the USB bus, thereby allowing overcranking.

Thoughts?
I tried the Transcend Expresscard SSD's last year and they didn't work. Errors after a few seconds, worse than bad SDHC cards. Unless they've improved the design since then, they're too slow.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #1445
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post

Thoughts?
As that card comes with a small USB adapter, I seriously doubt that it uses the PCIe bus. If it was a PCIe card, that little USB adapter would cost at least double what the entire combo costs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds