SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 18th, 2008, 03:31 AM   #136
Major Player

this is exciting!
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:32 AM   #137
Better than Halle Berry

Very intriguing. Good for Sony they put nothing into SxS to prevent this sort of bargain hunter's hack from working. Or maybe they never expected anyone to try? :)

-Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 06:22 AM   #138
Trustee

Thanks Keith...

It seems to work well. At least my first tests.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing about using the SxS for slo-mo when needed.

I'm now looking forward to the soon release of the new Extreme 32GB 30MB/s SDHC.

It will be less than $300
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #139
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Kadner View Post
Very intriguing. Good for Sony they put nothing into SxS to prevent this sort of bargain hunter's hack from working. Or maybe they never expected anyone to try? :)

-Noah
Noah...
It appears the maybe Sony's new PHU-60K drive may be the reason we are able to get this to work. In fact, right now, it appears this memory/SDGC card combo is working just like their drive (No S&Q mode ability)... Actually, maybe even better. Time will tell. I've read the PHU-60K thread where some are having errors.
Old September 18th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #140
Major Player

Dear Mr Moreau,

May I be so bold? perhaps you could pop over to AFT in Fremont and explain the communication problems with their AFT reader and the EX1, I'm sure it would be in their interest to sort this glitch out, and get us all up and running, I've mailed them, but I'm kinda on the other side of the pond !!

Sorry to be so forward, but AFT are the only guys so far who make an adapter that fits
into the EX1 properly.

You can find their contact info on the web no problems.

Thanks

Paul Newman
Old September 18th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #141
Major Player

Hi Paul

You can call me Keith, when I get the AFT card I can try to start a dialog with them. Basically they would just need to get a Kensington, to compare behavior and circuitry. However, I'm not hopeful that any prompting will create an easy fix, as this things are mostly likely 'hardwired' to behave a certain way and it might not be easy to upgrade a unit to work better in something as specific as an EX1 when it works fine with other devices such as Macbook Pro or other Expresscard compatibile units.

In the meantime, have they responded to your emails?
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #142
Trustee

The odd thing is the AFT does work in the EX1 with some SDHC memory other than the new Sandisk Extreme III 30MB/s.. The problem is, it has occassional memory errors.

If it worked with the new Extreme III memory, it would be by far the best solution.

You're right, they would need to understand why the Kensington works with the new Extreme and not theirs.

Having said that, the AFT might work with the Extreme memory in a computer, but not the EX1... for some odd reason.
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #143
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
The odd thing is the AFT does work in the EX1 with some SDHC memory other than the new Sandisk Extreme III 30MB/s.. The problem is, it has occassional memory errors.

If it worked with the new Extreme III memory, it would be by far the best solution.

You're right, they would need to understand why the Kensington works with the new Extreme and not theirs.

Having said that, the AFT might work with the Extreme memory in a computer, but not the EX1... for some odd reason.
Hi Steven, perhaps, since you seem to be the only one right now that has the AFT and the Extreme, you could test it on your Expresscard compatible computer (if you have one) and see if does work well. If it errors on the computer then that would give AFT something to go on and further incentive rather than trying to reverse-engineer to an EX1 specific problem for marginal rewards for AFT, like they will be selling like 10 AFT adapters for the few EX1/EX3 owners out there that might to use this solution?
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #144
Trustee

Thanks Keith.
I do not have a expresscard in my computer. Well, short of the SxS Sony reader.
I don't believe that combo would be the best to test.
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #145
Major Player

OK, when I get my AFT I'll test it in a couple Macbook Pros I have with the Expresscard slot and the Extreme III SDHC cards, I'll keep everybody posted.
Old September 18th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #146
New Boot

I have the Kensington adapter on order so can't do testing yet.
But I want to say thanks for all your testing and sharing info!
Paul Campsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #147
Trustee

Paul congrats on the Kensington.
Look into buying the SanDisk Extreme III 16GB 30MB/s SDHC memory.

So far so good...
Old September 18th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #148
Major Player

Kensington 7 in 1 model k33407us. Transend 8gb SDHC model ts8gsdhc6. Tested with EX1 all modes SP and HQ 28min each mode no errors.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #149
Trustee

Brian, is it possible to overcrank with your combo in S&Q mode?
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #150
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
Kensington 7 in 1 model k33407us. Transend 8gb SDHC model ts8gsdhc6. Tested with EX1 all modes SP and HQ 28min each mode no errors.
Brain,

Does it absolutely require firmware 1.11 or will it work with firmware 1.05?

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds