SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 24th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #256
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
It's possible - but, you would have to send your camera in to have the software upgraded
which I would not.
They will not tell you they block it until you have upgraded to the new firmware. I hope Sony will not choose this path.
John Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #257
Major Player

Just an update concerning my testing of the Sandisk/Kensington combo.

I have now spent almost a whole workday. Recording, deleting, recording etc etc...trying to get the combo to fail. I have made recordings that fill the 8 GB card and I have made several shorter recordings, deleted every second clip to achieve fragmentation, and then filling up the card with video.
Still not even an error message telling me to restore media! Also - the camera performs and behaves just like I am used to with SxS-memory. No delays or lags. It feels rock solid!

I only hope it will stay this way AND that somebody finds an adaptor that fits behind the door.

Here are some numbers that might be of interest:

Transfering a full 8 GB card via camera USB to harddrive - 16 minutes.
Transfering a full 8 GB card to laptop using the Kensington adapter - 7:22 min
Transfereing a full 8 GB card to the same laptop using it's built in SD-reader - 8:41 min
Transfering 8 GB of media from laptop to card using Kensington adapter 14:17 min

The first number suggests to me that the cameras USB interface is not very fast. Or maybe it has to share the bandwith somehow with the USB-port on the camera, resulting in half speed.

The last one is encouraging as it suggests an overhead of almost 100% in write speed in relation to what is needed for recording (one card can take 28 minutes of HQ video).

Finally - Steven - have you recieved your 16 GB card yet? Is it performing as well as the 8 GB card?
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #258
Trustee

Thanks Ola,
I have not received my 16GB Sandisk Ultra II 15MB/s SDHC card.
Althought I do have the 16GB Sandisk Exteme III 30MB/s SDHC which works well with the Kensington 7-in-1 expresscard reader in the EX1.

I'm willing to bet both the 16GB and 32GB SanDisk Ultra II 15MB/s SDHC will work fine.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #259
Major Player

nice! I will be ordering my EX3 friday morning (and breaking the bank to do it). You guys just made my year. No need to buy SxS card until the price drops. I'll have 2 8gb sxs cards anyway.

I feel a lot better about buying this camera all the sudden.
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #260
Trustee

Yes, use the SxS for S&Q modes.
Old September 25th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #261
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks Ola,
I have not received my 16GB Sandisk Ultra II 15MB/s SDHC card.
Althought I do have the 16GB Sandisk Exteme III 30MB/s SDHC which works well with the Kensington 7-in-1 expresscard reader in the EX1.

I'm willing to bet both the 16GB and 32GB SanDisk Ultra II 15MB/s SDHC will work fine.
Steven!

May I ask why you are risking it with a slower 16 GB card when the Extreme III is so cheap? Also - does the 16 GB Extreme III measure as fast as the 8 GB using your speed test software?
Old September 25th, 2008, 05:54 AM   #262
Trustee

Based on my tests, the Extreme III and Ultra II will perform the same with the Kensington 7-in-1 in the EX1.

The 8GB and 16GB Extreme III should perform the same in the EX1/with Kensington.
Old September 25th, 2008, 06:20 AM   #263
Major Player

Quote:
Based on my tests, the Extreme III and Ultra II will perform the same with the Kensington 7-in-1 in the EX1.

The 8GB and 16GB Extreme III should perform the same in the EX1/with Kensington.
Hm - so why not use the much cheaper Transend cards instead? Don't you trust them? (Sorry to bug you but I'm trying to make up my mind on what to buy)
Old September 25th, 2008, 06:32 AM   #264
Trustee

The SanDisk 16GB Ultra II is only $60. Yes the Transcend is less, but $60 for 16GB for reliable memory sounds good to me.

There was one report where the Transcend SDHC card was defective on first try.

I have not looked close at the data rate tests for the transcend, buy the Sandisk data is very repeatable.
Old September 25th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #265
Major Player

Quote:
The SanDisk 16GB Ultra II is only $60. Yes the Transcend is less, but $60 for 16GB for reliable memory sounds good to me.

There was one report where the Transcend SDHC card was defective on first try.

I have not looked close at the data rate tests for the transcend, buy the Sandisk data is very repeatable.

I have 4 of the Transend 8bg cards no errors so far $18.99, I think the 16 gb cards are slower. I have 4 SanDisk 32GB Ultra II on order.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 07:07 AM   #266
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
I have 4 of the Transend 8bg cards no errors so far $18.99, I think the 16 gb cards are slower. I have 4 SanDisk 32GB Ultra II on order.
I am looking forward to hearing about your results with these cards. This truly is a revolution.
Might I make a suggestion? Since all cards, more or less, are on paper fast enough I think that the overcrank test that Steven suggests is the best way to judge how much headroom the card has when actually recording HQ-video in the camera.

Why don't we make a list of all of these cards (Sandisk Exterme, Ultra, Transend 8,16,32 Gb) according to achieved S&Q fps?

That would be invaluable information for anyone looking into buying SD-cards for their EX1/EX3.
Old September 25th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #267
Trustee

Transcend 8GB in Bristol,uk. Genuine items.

I know people don't like buying memory off ebay, due to the amount of fakes, however, i just found an ebay shop which happened to be 1 mile from my house so i went to the shop and bought the transcend 8gb class 6 cards, £20 each,they work, they're genuine.
They've got loads in stock.
Also sdhc to usb readers for £5, instock.
Also sxs cards there for £80ish for 32gb, transcend.

So if anybody wants the details of this supplier then pm me and i'll give you the details, i won't post the details because they're not sponsors.

I'm not in any way connected to this shop, they're just genuinly down to earth people who helped me out letting me test cards in the shop, so i thought i'd return a favour.
They take paypal and post next day.

Paul.
Old September 25th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #268
Major Player

To repeat my findings so far in EX-3, I am working perfectly in SQ and HQ modes with Kensington reader + Transcend 8gb and SanDisk Extreme III 16gb. My next test will be to pick up a SanDisk Ultra II 32gb.

While I honestly have not shot any under/overcranking since starting to test the SD cards, my plan generally will be to keep one SxS card in the camera and one SD card.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 07:58 AM   #269
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
My next test will be to pick up a SanDisk Ultra II 32gb.

that's the test I want to see. :)
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #270
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
I have 4 SanDisk 32GB Ultra II on order.
Brian, based on the smaller Ultra II that has been tested, these should work fine.

But, I hope they offer a return if they do not work..

Honestly, again based on their smaller Ultra II SDHC cards, the 32GB cards should work the same. Ultra II claims 15MB/s data rate.

I'll be ordering a 32GB Ultra II soon.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds