SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 25th, 2008, 08:13 AM   #271
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Phairas View Post
that's the test I want to see. :)
32gb Ultra II do not seem available at the moment. I did find a UK vendor claiming stock but B&H notes not yet released. I imagine we will start seeing them in the coming weeks. Interesting to note that the 32gb Ultra II is labeled a Class 4 card.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:27 AM   #272
Inner Circle

Paul, Amazon are cheaper than that.

Running tests today on a couple of Transcend 16Gb cards and a couple of 8 Gb Sandisk Extreme III cards.

Shooting in 25P S&Q mode I am getting very similar performance from both these cards. At 52 FPS both will give media errors pretty quickly, at 50 FPS I get occasional media errors on long clips and at 48 FPS both are error free. Both are quite a bit faster than my 8Gb Transcend cards which only make 38 FPS (still plenty fast enough for regular HQ mode).

Given that the 16Gb Transcend card is around the same price as the 8Gb Sandisk Extreme III yet offers such similar performance I will be using the 16Gb Transcend card.

As an aside, if Sony had crippled the interface then we probably wouldn't be seeing the differences in performance we are finding from different cards.

Just filled a whole 16Gb transcend card with 2x 50FPS S&Q clips without any errors!

Class 4 is slower than Class 6, I would NOT get the Ultra 2 cards.
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #273
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
32gb Ultra II do not seem available at the moment. I did find a UK vendor claiming stock but B&H notes not yet released. I imagine we will start seeing them in the coming weeks. Interesting to note that the 32gb Ultra II is labeled a Class 4 card.
Yes,
When SanDisk released the Ultra II, this was the highest Class (4) to rate them at that time.
Class 6 came out later which states 6MB/s minimum. The Ultra II tests at 15MB/s

I hear you on the 32GB Ultra II SDHC. I'm not sure how some are ordering.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:38 AM   #274
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Yeah i know what you're saying but for the sake of a couple of quid i'd rather just wander up the road and physically pay for them and have them put in my hand, then i don't have to wait in for them to be delivered, then they get delivered when i'm out, then i have to go and collect from somewhere, blah blah blah. All to save a few quid.

Paul.
Old September 25th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #275
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Yes,
When SanDisk released the Ultra II, this was the highest Class (4) to rate them at that time.
Class 6 came out later which states 6MB/s minimum. The Ultra II tests at 15MB/s

I hear you on the 32GB Ultra II SDHC. I'm not sure how some are ordering.
I just wrote to SanDisk PR wearing my journalist hat and asked for an eval 32gb card. Most vendors jump at the chance for product review so we shall see what happens.
Old September 25th, 2008, 10:54 AM   #276
Major Player

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this great thread.

This is just great news!

Now, do you think you can take a look into the inks for my Epson printer? It costs me $110 for one set of inks, and the actual printer cost $90!!
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #277
Trustee

When the ink is half way empty, sell the printer with half the ink as "perfect working order" on ebay for half price !

Then put $45 to the money and buy a new printer.

Paul.
Old September 25th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #278
Trustee

More on SDHC cards...

The PHU-60K is a very nice addition to the EX1/3. It has only one drawback and that is the limited capacity, 60 GB is not very much.

I wonder if it would be possible to remove the standard 1.8" disk and replace it with a 120 GB single platter (8 mm height) 1.8" Toshiba SATA disk with 5400 RPM.

My questions are relatively simple:

1. Is the physical height of the replacement disk (8mm) OK? Or could even a 2 platter disk with 160 or 250 GB fit?
2. Is the disk controller a SATA type?
3. Is 5400 RPM supported?
4. Is this feasible with the limitation of breaking the warranty?

What do you think?
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #279
Major Player

On the Kensington 7-in-1 expresscard reader - Has anyone had problems using this with a MacBook Pro?

I hear that the MacBook does not work well with this.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #280
Trustee

Why bother doing all that now that 8gb/16gb cards can be bought for next to nothing ?

Paul.
Old September 25th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #281
Major Player

My concern with the PHU-60K is the fact that no hard drive is as dependable as solid state memory. I shot a Firestore for a couple of years with my HVX200. Other than the bulk of the device, I was in constant fear of HD failure. It did not fail. I sold it when I bought the EX3 and my unfortunate customer broke it almost immediately.

At $1K for a 60gb solution that won't under/overcrank, that adds bulk and weight I would say take a pass. Buy a Kensington adapter for under $40 and a bunch of $20 Transcend 8gb cards. Reserve your SxS cards for S&Q motion. Save money and bulk.

Just my .02
Old September 25th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #282
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
Why bother doing all that now that 8gb/16gb cards can be bought for next to nothing ?

Paul.
Paul,

Maybe your definition of "next to nothing" is different than mine, but a 160 GB disk is around € 200, the PHU-60K is around € 900, so totaling around € 1100. Ten 16 GB cards amount to around € 8500 for the same capacity. That price difference gives me a second EX3 for free. All excluding 19% sales tax BTW.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #283
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
Paul,

Maybe your definition of "next to nothing" is different than mine, but a 160 GB disk is around € 200, the PHU-60K is around € 900, so totaling around € 1100. Ten 16 GB cards amount to around € 8500 for the same capacity. That price difference gives me a second EX3 for free. All excluding 19% sales tax BTW.
Have you been reading the thread about which cards work with the EX1 and EX3 ? Obviously not. 8gb cards can be bought for around £15, whatever that is in dollars.

Paul.
Old September 25th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #284
Major Player

Quick question sorry if this was mentioned but I did not see it... With this Kensington reader I am assuming the EX1 door has to stay open??? Anyone have any pics of their setup? Does it stick out of the dorr very far? I am late to follow this thread but these developements sound very interesting...
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #285
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post

Running tests today on a couple of Transcend 16Gb cards and a couple of 8 Gb Sandisk Extreme III cards.

Shooting in 25P S&Q mode I am getting very similar performance from both these cards. At 52 FPS both will give media errors pretty quickly, at 50 FPS I get occasional media errors on long clips and at 48 FPS both are error free. Both are quite a bit faster than my 8Gb Transcend cards which only make 38 FPS (still plenty fast enough for regular HQ mode).
Looks like we have a new winner! The Transcend 16 Gb sounds like the best buy. Any other reason not to get the Transcend no that it proves to be as fast as the Sandisk?
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds