SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 26 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 29th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #376
Trustee

Whe is the ultra 2 32gb due out ?
And how much ?

Paul.
Old September 29th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #377
Trustee

I heard any day now and they sell for $150 USD !
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #378
Major Player

thought you guys might be interested in this:

SanDisk, Extreme III CF + SDHC. 8GB CF $6.67, 16GB CF $15, 4GB SDHC $13, 8GB SDHC $17 when you buy 3 @ ADORAMA

thats sandisk extreme iii 8GB SDHC for $16 . probably because they are releasing new cards soon or something.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #379
Trustee

That is the older Extreme III SDHC version, not the new 30MB/s version. No one has tested these with the Kensington
Old September 29th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #380
Major Player

Maybe it's worth testing - $24 for an 8GB card is pretty sweet. Also, the rated 20mb/sec is higher than the Ultra II cards, correct?
Old September 29th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #381
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Right now ...the working combo is:

kensington 7-in-1 reader
SanDisk 16GB Ultra II 15MB/s OR the "more expensive" SanDisk 16GB Extreme III 30MB/s version

I'm looking forward to hearing if the new SanDisk 32GB Ultra II 15MB/s works.. I'm willing to bet it will.
Seems like sponsor of this forum carries all of it:

Kensington reader:
Kensington | 7-in-1 ExpressCard Media Reader | K33407US | B&H

SanDisk 16GB Ultra II 15MB/s:
SanDisk | 16GB Ultra II Secure Digital (SDHC) | SDSDRH-016GR

SanDisk 16GB Extreme III 30MB/s:
SanDisk | 16GB Extreme III - 30MB/s Editi | SDSDX3-016GR-A31

I could not find SanDisk 32GB Ultra II 15MB/s yet.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #382
Regular Crew

I have been following this thread for a while and really appreciate everyone’s contribution. I am generally very computer literate and ok at still 35mm slr film & digital photography. However, I am a complete video newbie. (I have recently acquired an EX3 and while I can pick up the mechanical & electronic aspects fairly easily, as you all know, the "art" of video making is another story.)

My review of this thread and the Convergent Designs threads prompted three thoughts and questions. Any comments or responses would be appreciated. They are:

1. Has anyone tried Sandisk’s express card reader in the EX1/3 - SanDisk Multi Card - Card adapter ( MMC, SD, MS Duo, MS PRO Duo, miniSD, MMCmobile, microSD, MMCmicro, SDHC, miniSDHC, MS Micro, microSDHC ) - ExpressCard/34? It sells for approximately $16.00 – US and, from the comments made by users on various websites, it appears to generally be both pc & MAC compatible.

2. Has anyone tried to use an esata or esataII express card to connect a hard drive to the EX1/3 – (not Sony’s setup)

3. With regard to hacking the camera – I noted that Convergent Designs stated that it was using a sony chip in its new hd-sdi compact flash recorders and that the chip was the same one that is used in Sony’s new 50 – 422 camera (I forgot the model number). I am curious to know if that chip is also in the EX1/3. If so, a piece of code might be able to be written to activate 50-422 recording to sxs cards from the ex1/3. (Someone joked about this, but it might be doable if the proper encoding chip is in the camera and the code in Sony's new camera were examined carefully.)

As to items 2 & 3, if I get any responses that warrant a new line of discussion, I will move it to another thread. Also, if those two questions should have been posted elsewhere, I apologize for posting them here. I did so because this group seems to be technically savvy and interested in experimenting with other storage alternatives and methods which might be used to get more from the cameras.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Regards

Eli H. Schmukler
Eli Schmukler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #383
Major Player

MSAC-EX1 adapter

Just got a MSAC-EX1 Memory stick duo adapter. Now I am waiting for a 30mbs. Duo Pro memory stick to see if if works with EX1 or the EX3 - do not know if the EX1 in the last of the production name has any reference to the PMW-EX1.....
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #384
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
Have you had problems only during overcrank ?
Or during normal HQ recording also ?

Thanks.
Paul.
In overcrank I got an error message after a few seconds. But in HQ and SD it recorded fine in camera with no error messages, but when I tried to open them in the computer almost every other clip (I was doing long recordings) was corrupted and couln't be restored. Had to reformat the card. It's interesting that others have no problems with the same setup.
Marten Dalfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #385
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marten Dalfors View Post
In overcrank I got an error message after a few seconds. But in HQ and SD it recorded fine in camera with no error messages, but when I tried to open them in the computer almost every other clip (I was doing long recordings) was corrupted and couln't be restored. Had to reformat the card. It's interesting that others have no problems with the same setup.
Yes, the Transcend SDHC cards are NOT as fast as the two "suggested" SDHC cards that have been mentioned.
Old September 29th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #386
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marten Dalfors View Post
Hi Marten

I've repeatedly recorded full cards of the Transcend 16GB / Kensington Adapter with no corruption problems at normal speed HQ. I have a Mac and use the XDCam Transfer version 2.7. I don't open the files directly from the BPAV folder, but after the XDCam Transfer has 'wrapped' them in whatever way it does from the original MP4 files.

At what 'overcrank' settings caused problems? My limit for the Transcend was 720P-24P 38 FPS.

What are you using to view the MP4 files and how does your software tell you the file is corrupted?
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #387
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Schmukler View Post
Has anyone tried to use an esata or esataII express card to connect a hard drive to the EX1/3 – (not Sony’s setup)
I did not try the esata cardm but I did try an el cheapo USB 2.0 and a Belkin FireWire 800 express card adapter.

The USB did absolutely nothing, While the FireWire 800 threw up an incompatible memory message, and no work around was found.

If they have opened the USB connect, this option should work, but it could be a matter of finding the one adapter of the hundreds available that works?

Also, my gut tells me that *IF* Sony were to catch on and release an inexpensive option, it would be with their own Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo cards. I also think they would offer a lower bit rate from the EX with this.
Old September 29th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #388
Trustee

Sony could really turn this in to something great.

First of all work with SanDisk and find out how to address the coding for their new Extreme III 30MB/s SDHC cards to allow the cards to be used to their full potential

The max data rate needed for HQ at the highest overcrank 60FPS is 100 mbps; therefore the memory must be able to have quick access and sustain 12.5MB/s.

Next, have their own expresscard media adaptor manufactured that allows the EX1 memory door to close. Actually they could probably just work with another manufacture with some quick changes and rebadge it.
Old September 29th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #389
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
Erik, recording in slo-mo in camera gives better results than slowing down with your editing program.

To slo-mo a clip in vegas, put your cursor on the right hand edge of a clip, press and hold ctrl on the keyboard, now of you look closely you'll see a little ~ sign next to the cursor, now just drag to the right to extend the clip (speed up) or drag to the left to squash the clip (slow down).

Paul.
Hey thanks. I tried it just now.. looks ok I guess. :)
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #390
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Skelmose View Post
Just got a MSAC-EX1 Memory stick duo adapter. Now I am waiting for a 30mbs. Duo Pro memory stick to see if if works with EX1 or the EX3 - do not know if the EX1 in the last of the production name has any reference to the PMW-EX1.....
This combo will not work with the EX1.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds