SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 27 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 29th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #391
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Sony could really turn this in to something great.
First of all work with SanDisk and find out how to address the coding for their new Extreme III 30MB/s SDHC cards to allow the cards to be used to their full potential

I bet Sony could double or triple their EX sales if they take this route!
Andres Posada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 12:27 AM   #392
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post
Hi Marten

I've repeatedly recorded full cards of the Transcend 16GB / Kensington Adapter with no corruption problems at normal speed HQ. I have a Mac and use the XDCam Transfer version 2.7. I don't open the files directly from the BPAV folder, but after the XDCam Transfer has 'wrapped' them in whatever way it does from the original MP4 files.

At what 'overcrank' settings caused problems? My limit for the Transcend was 720P-24P 38 FPS.

What are you using to view the MP4 files and how does your software tell you the file is corrupted?
I couldn't copy the files with the OS. Also tried the EX clipbrowser. Also the corrupted mp4 file could not be deleted, had to reformat the card.

I haven't tested the exact overcrank FPS, I couldn't do 50FPS.

I'm glad it's working for others, my setup is not reliable. I'm thinking of buying an UltraII card to try.
Marten Dalfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #393
Inner Circle

Quote:
Sony could really turn this in to something great.

First of all work with SanDisk and find out how to address the coding for their new Extreme III 30MB/s SDHC cards .............

Next, have their own expresscard media adaptor manufactured ...........
Even more satisfactory would be to bring out "SxS lite". Physically etc they would be SxS cards - but with the performance more along the lines of the SDHC cards you've been looking at, lower than "true" SxS. And, obviously, at a (much) lower price than "true" SxS. From Sonys point of view they could guarantee a (lower) level of service.

Users with big budgets would still want the standard SxS cards for speed of downloading etc, but for many "SxS lite" would be good enough - same as the SDHC cards plus adaptor - whilst still being far cheaper than full spec cards. They would also bring the day of solid state being able to be used in a shoot, give to client mode much nearer.

I foresee 50Mbs being the next big step for Sony in cameras like the EX, as they now have it on the PDW700, and I'd hope any "SxS lite" to at least be capable of guaranteed performance at that bit rate. Do you think your SDHC/adaptor would be capable of that? The question isn't just academic, as I believe there will be an SxS adaptor for the PDW700.

An interesting thread, with some great work. Well done.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #394
Trustee

David, that's a good idea regarding SxS lite cards.

I'm just hoping Sony wakes up that the expresscard/SDHC combo would greatly increase their sells on their EX XDCAM series.

I've seen sustained write and read speeds exceeding 30MB/s using USB 2.0 drives.
Since the new SanDisk Extreme III SDHC is capable of 30MB/s, Sony could work this out quickly. The top data rate needed for the current EX series is 12.5MB/s.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #395
Trustee

What's wrong with Sony simply bringing down the prices of their current, fast SxS cards to match the Kensington+Sandisk Extreme III... plus a bit of a premium since they still are a bit faster to support S&Q modes.

Say, $299 for a 16Gb SxS card, in current prices.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #396
Trustee

I hear you.
I guess it depends on current manufacturing costs.
$900 is just WAY to much for these 16GB cards.
Old September 30th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #397
Trustee

In no-competition environment, sure they can set prices based on costs.

But since the alternative solution (thanks to you and others who pioneered it!) is only about $170, market rules will apply. (Unless Sony is looking for a part of the bailout package, hehe...)

By the way, current street price of 16Gb SxS card is not $900, it's $740 at B&H:

SanDisk | 16GB ExpressCard Pro Media | SDX-VS-016GR | B&H Photo

(just click "add to shopping cart" to get that lower price.)

I own this card, it is made by Sandisk (second S in SxS moniker), and it works exactly like Sony ones, no issues/errors of any kind.

So we are asking for, roughly, 2x reduction against the current prices, which are grossly inflated in the first place. If not Sony, I'd definitely expect Sandisk to make the move.

And, as the cost of other fast Sandisk media goes down, I'd expect SxS cards to track it and also get lower yet.
Old September 30th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #398
Trustee

By the way... I don't remember if this adapter was ever tested and if it worked or not?

SanDisk | ExpressCard Adapter | SDAD-109R | B&H Photo Video
Old September 30th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #399
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
By the way... I don't remember if this adapter was ever tested and if it worked or not?

SanDisk | ExpressCard Adapter | SDAD-109R | B&H Photo Video

I believe it was tested. If not, I'm not sure if we want to test it based on the review on the site you posted. It appears it does not have the push/push media slot, so the SDHC card will stick out like the Kensington.
Old September 30th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #400
Inner Circle

Just done another round of tests with some new transcend 16Gb class 6 cards and the kensington adapter. No issues at up to 48fps S&Q. Perhaps Marten has a fake card, all my Transcend cards have worked perfectly with HQ mode. Spanned, timelapse, short clips, long clips, I can't break them in HQ mode.
Old September 30th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #401
Trustee

Alistair.
I've come to the same conclusion with the 8gb transcend, i've got 3 of them, all have performed faultlessly.
Probably gonna get a few 16gb's now.
Can get 16gb's for £26 or the 8gb's for £12.
That's just ridiculous prices, they might as well just give them away.

Paul.
Old September 30th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #402
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
What's wrong with Sony simply bringing down the prices of their current, fast SxS cards to match the Kensington+Sandisk Extreme III....
I suspect they are pretty difficult to manufacture, and if you compare them to other cards in other ranges (SDHC, CF etc), the pricing isn't that surprising. From the B&H website:

(All 16GB cards)
Sandisk Ultra II - 9/10MB/s - $73.50 (SDHC)
Sandisk Extreme III - 30MB/s - $169.95 (SDHC)
Sandisk Extreme IV - 40MB/s - $244.95 (CF)
Sony 306x - 46MB/s - $399.95 (CF)

Since SxS cards are rated at 100MB/s (800Mb/s) I don't therefore find their pricing surprising, and I don't see them just cutting their prices to the Extreme III level. But SDHC, CF etc cards are available in a range of speeds (and sizes) and I don't see any reason why that shouldn't be the case for SxS. Why not an Extreme III version of SxS, rated at 30MB/s, and priced around $200-250 for 16GB, as an alternative to the full spec version?

Not as good as full spec SxS, but good enough for most work, and I agree that it would help to sell many, many more EX cameras.

In the meantime, the ability to use SDHC cards with an adaptor has much merit. I don't see Sony promoting it as such - too many variables, and the possibility of too many telephone queries! ("No sir, the problem is you need a class 6 card, not that cheap thing you picked up at the market......") With "SxS lite" it becomes far more under their control.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #403
Tourist

Hi,

First of all to all: "THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTENSIV INVESTIGATION"

I followed the thread and i bought the Kensington adaptor for about 20 EU in Germany and the Transcend 8 GB for 12 EU and the The SanDisk Extreme III 30MB/s for about 60 EU and i tested them in 720/50p 1080/50i and S&Q etc. they work fine without any errors. I´ve got an delock adapter to transfer them to my mac - no problem.
Well, I´ve bought a few SXS cards and they cost a lot of money - with this solution i´m pretty happy saving a lot of money.
And it´s look still professional.

Volker
Old September 30th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #404
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
Since SxS cards are rated at 100MB/s (800Mb/s) I don't therefore find their pricing surprising, and I don't see them just cutting their prices to the Extreme III level. But SDHC, CF etc cards are available in a range of speeds (and sizes) and I don't see any reason why that shouldn't be the case for SxS. Why not an Extreme III version of SxS, rated at 30MB/s, and priced around $200-250 for 16GB, as an alternative to the full spec version?
Makes a lot of sense. They could relabel the cheaper cards to SxS Lite (30MB/s verison) or something.

Yes, based on the SxS 100MB/s fast data rate, it appears they are ready for their next launch of 4:2:2 50mbps EX cameras.
Old September 30th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #405
Inner Circle

Quote:
Yes, based on the SxS 100MB/s fast data rate, it appears they are ready for their next launch of 4:2:2 50mbps EX cameras.
Well, their quoted speed is *16x* that of the 50Mbs system that the PDW700 uses, so it leaves me wondering what else they may be readying for in the future? :) Apart from very quick downloading!
David Heath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds