SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 33 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 4th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #481
Trustee

something strange hapening.

Kensington reader in each slot with transcend 8gb or 16gb or sandisk extreme 3 8gb.
When i remove the slot A sd card from the reader, the lcd shows the mins disappear from slot B but remaining in slot A !
If i the pull out sd card in slot B, slot A mins disappear.
I then need to pull out slot B sd and reinsert to get the mins showing again on slot B.
If i pull out sd in slot b then slot b mins disappear correctly.

The only way for me to get this to work correctly is to pull the whole adaptor and sd card as one by ejecting the adaptor properly.
It's like the slots are wired up wrong inside the cam.
I did the firmware upgrade myself so i know the cam hasn't been taken apart.
All the above problems don't happen with the sony sxs cards or if i use 1 sxs and 1 kensington/transcend.
Also on my colleagues EX1 which i updated, he doesn't have any of these problems, he just pulls the sd card out.

When i first did my upgrade, none of this happened.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.
Paul.
Old October 4th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #482
Major Player

Just notified by A that my SanDisk 32gb Ultra II will ship between 11/12-12/1/08.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 01:30 AM   #483
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
Just notified by A that my SanDisk 32gb Ultra II will ship between 11/12-12/1/08.
Wow that's a bit of a wait. I have paid for mine and was hoping it would arrive in the next week or so. Looks like I am going to be disappointed.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #484
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
The only way for me to get this to work correctly is to pull the whole adaptor and sd card as one by ejecting the adaptor properly.
Paul, there's nothing wrong with the camera or upgrade.

It makes sense that the EX won't flag the SDHC card removed since the system only knows removal of the entire expresscard (SxS).

If you're using two Kensington adaptors just use them like SxS cards and they will act the same.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #485
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
Wow... I hope they are not correct on their arrival.
Old October 5th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #486
Trustee

That's what i'll do from now on, remove the whole combo.
Even if someone makes a push/push adaptor we'll still have to remove the whole combo though.
It's no big deal though is it considering the money we're saving on cards.

I've been using the transcend 8 and 16gb cards, no problems so far.

Thanks.
Paul.
Old October 5th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #487
Trustee

I hear you Paul. Now if we can get our hands on those dang Ultra II 32GB cards!
Old October 5th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #488
Trustee

*Usually* Amazon's projected delivery date is very conservative, and products actually arrive much faster.

With Ultra 32Gb it could be a bit different as it depends on whether they actually have it in stock for shipping.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #489
Regular Crew

Faster sdhc downloads and new backup devices

While the following may be obvious to everyone, as I had not seen any discussion of the following, I thought i would comment briefly:

I recently picked up 2 - 16gb transcend sdhc cards - which each came with a usb sdhc card reader at no additional cost (about $32 US each). After filling both sdhc cards with video, I plugged each of them into a separate usb port (I used a usb powered six port hub attached to one of the ports in my computer), and was able to download them to my hard drive almost simultaneously. (There is no reason why you can't copy 3, 4, or more at a time using this same method - although it is likely to take a bit more time than just doing one card, it is much much faster than transferring the cards one at a time.) The only issue I had was due to the design of the transcend card reader - which mounts the sdhc card from the side - thus blocking some of the usb ports - so, in my case, the six usb port hub would only allow 4 cards to be inserted at a time.)

Thought i would also mention that I own a Nokia N800 which also takes sdhc cards and was able to get one of the several media player software packages I have for it to recognize the ex mp4 file and play it. Because of the very slow n800 processor, it was so slow as to be useless, however, it clearly displayed an occasional frame and the file manager allowed me to see the file size, etc., so i could tell that the file was generally ok.

I am going to try to borrow an epson p-5000 and several other devices (including an ipod video if the usb camera adapter will work with the sdhc cards) which were designed to store still photos or movies to see if I can do in-the-field backups without using a laptop. While there are very few expresscard devices that exist for this purpose, numerous devices exist which can read sdhc cards. While their processors are sufficiently slow to make it unlikely that they can play the video, they can still be used for purposes of making a backup. (Some may allow copying to a hd, like the p-5000. Others, like my n800, hold two sdhc cards, and can be used to copy one card to another.)
Eli Schmukler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #490
Trustee

So you must be copying using windows instead of clip browser.
Using clip browser is the recomended method, but i have thought about copying more than 1 sdhc card at a time using these usb/sdhc readers.
Have you had any errors yet copying with windows ?

What are other sdhc card users doing ?
Is everyone still recomending clip browser ?

Paul.
Old October 5th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #491
Trustee

I imagine you will still need the browser if you have spanned a continuous video across both SDHC cards.
Old October 5th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #492
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
I imagine you will still need the browser if you have spanned a continuous video across both SDHC cards.
For rewrapping yes. But what about just copying the BAPV folder to your hard-drive ?

Is windows safe enough ?

Paul.
Old October 5th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #493
Regular Crew

Paul -

I was copying the entire card contents using windows and it worked fine - I had each card copied into its own new folder. (I had one definitely weird anomaly, however. which i do not attribute to the copying procedure at all, but I could be wrong.)

The 2 cards i copied were the first cards that i had used in my ex3. they are 2- 16gb transcend -class 6 in 2 of the kensington express card adapters. I put them both in the camera and let it run for about 2 hours. Each card filled to capacity and the camera recognized them and transferred from the first card to the second properly. I then copied each card, using windows xp pro, to its own new folder on my hard drive. Subsequently, I launched adobe premiere cs3 - updated to directly recognize ex files, set up a new project using 1080 30p (which is what the camera had been set to use) and then imported the files from card A from the hard drive. I then imported the card b files from the hard drive.

Premiere recognized the files and did the import - but what i got was approximately 10 files, each of almost identical length, and each containing what seems to be identical copies of the contents of both cards. I suspect that this has something to do with the fact that the video spanned 2 cards (I have not done that before), that the copying had not been done with sony's software, or that because my main machine uses the xp file format rather than fat32, premiere may have done some combining of the fat32 files - or some combination of some or all of these - or e) - none of the above.

I will fool with this a bit more as I have not paid much attention tothe actual file formats used by the camera or any of the software up to this point. However, from the standpoint of moving files to a hard drive or making backups, I suspect that simultaneous multi-card file moves using windows can still be done safely as what I got on the hard drive was identical to what was on the two cards and played perfectly from the premiere timeline.
Eli Schmukler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #494
Major Player

BPAV copying using op systems (instead of programs)

Hi all

Confirm that as an editor I've been simultaneously copying multiple BPAV folders directly into computers off the SxS or CF cards (into their own discrete folder names, of course) on both PC and Mac systems (both PowerPC and Mac Pro) in XP XP2, Vista, and OX 10.4.11 and 10.5.x with zero problems so far.

Bridged files have been imported using the various utilities.

I have been cutting EX1 stuff for around 6 months and will finally have my own camera in around a week.
HTH
Old October 5th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #495
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Leong View Post
I have been cutting EX1 stuff for around 6 months and will finally have my own camera in around a week.
HTH
Congrats Chris!

Look into the Kensington / SDHC (Ultra II 15MB/s) to save $$$
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds