SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 44 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 18th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #646
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post
I've followed this thread with interest especially since I've bought x1 32Gb and x2 16GB SxS cards at huge costs!

However I have one question to ask: would anyone be willing to record on these SDHC substitute cards a one off unrepeatable event such as weddings? My main line of work is weddings and I still cannot bring myself to use this substitutes in events that cannot be repeated and where the client might sue you if you fail to deliver the goods.
Brian I have shoot five wedding using the SDHC combo Transcend 16GB & 8GB cards, with no errors. Lost footage is not an issue for me because I always shoot Two to Three Camera angles. I also own (4) 16gb SXS cards and almost bought (2)32gb SXS now I going for the Sandisk 32gb SDHC, $300 vs $2798.00. With the money I have saved , I pre-ordered a Canon 5d Mark II. I aslo have a dislaimer in my contracts that covers me in the event of lost footage.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #647

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Now, if you use two Kensingtons and eject the expresscard when removing (like you would with SxS) leaving the SDHC in the Kensington, they work just like the SxS cards.
Thanks for the clarification, Steven. I would have never thought to remove only the SDHC card from the adaptor.

Now it all makes sense. Much appreciated!
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #648
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
I pre-ordered a Canon 5d Mark II. I aslo have a dislaimer in my contracts that covers me in the event of lost footage.
Would be interested to hear how your set up goes - Im assuming you plan to use the 5dMkII footage to suppliment your EX1's. This was what I had in mind but not sure how well the canon footage at 30fps would integrate with the EX1 at? (do you shoot 24p?)
Paul Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #649
Trustee

Nikon D90 does 720p24
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #650
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cook View Post
Would be interested to hear how your set up goes - Im assuming you plan to use the 5dMkII footage to suppliment your EX1's. This was what I had in mind but not sure how well the canon footage at 30fps would integrate with the EX1 at? (do you shoot 24p?)
I also do still Photography, not too interested in the video mode. I own (2) EX1's
most of my projects are 24p and 60p final product goes to Blu-Ray.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 08:00 PM   #651
Trustee

Quote:
Now, if you use two Kensingtons and eject the expresscard when removing (like you would with SxS) leaving the SDHC in the Kensington, they work just like the SxS cards.

The cost of the 16GB SanDisk Ultra II 15MB/s SDHC card and the Kensington 7-in-1 is little over $100 USD.
I've been following this thread and am ready to try the SDHC setup with my EX1. There are two things I'm not totally clear on :
1) Can you shoot 1080 60i HQ to the SDHC cards?
2) Does use of the Kensington/SDHC require the v 1.1 firmware, or will it work with the preceeding firmware (v 1.05??) as well.
Thanks
Old October 18th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #652
Regular Crew

Yes I know the D90 does 720 at 24 but from what Ive seen and heard the codec is horrid so it would stand out like dogs danglers compared to the pristine EX1 shots.

I know the canon isnt out yet but supposedly its codec is much cleaner, it does 1080 and has many other polished features in video mode that would make it a better choice. Then again it costs way more than the D90 so you would hope this to be the case.

I just thought if footage from the canon could be intercut nicely with the EX1 (matching the frame rates) then you could cut in some amazing shallow DOF visuals with minimal fuss compared to using a letus rig or similar.
Old October 18th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #653
Regular Crew

Just one other concern with the SDHC option - what if sony decide to block this in a later firmware release? I know everyone would say simply dont upgrade the FW but what if its something you really need? Worse what if your camera breaks and needs to be serviced. Sony would be well within their right to refuse to service it unless the firmware was upgraded...? What if the upgrade was not reversible...?

I guess if you bought the EX1 budgeting in SxS before SDHC was an option then no biggie - but it your sole reason for buying was because SDHC suddenly made it an option then this would hurt big-time.

Not trying to be a negative nancy here, just trying to work through all the pro's and Con's
Old October 18th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #654
Trustee

Quote:
I just thought if footage from the canon could be intercut nicely with the EX1 (matching the frame rates) then you could cut in some amazing shallow DOF visuals with minimal fuss compared to using a letus rig or similar.
I think, rendition of images will be completely different, since lenses are different.

It does not seem to me canon will intercut seemlessly unless you use same lenses in front of EX1 (such as using 35mm adapter like LEX etc.) - which you seem to be trying to avoid...

I already own some great Nikon lenses, so I'll wait till Nikon comes up with the second generation of video-capturing cams, I guess :)
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #655
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
I've been following this thread and am ready to try the SDHC setup with my EX1. There are two things I'm not totally clear on :
1) Can you shoot 1080 60i HQ to the SDHC cards?
Yes, you can shoot ANY HQ mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
2) Does use of the Kensington/SDHC require the v 1.1 firmware, or will it work with the preceeding firmware (v 1.05??) as well.
Thanks
No, you need version 1.11
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #656
Trustee

Quote:
Just one other concern with the SDHC option - what if sony decide to block this in a later firmware release? I know everyone would say simply dont upgrade the FW but what if its something you really need? Worse what if your camera breaks and needs to be serviced. Sony would be well within their right to refuse to service it unless the firmware was upgraded...? What if the upgrade was not reversible...?
Well, I guess at that point you will have to decide if the added benefits of a newer upgrade are better than the cheaper memory solution. Man, it would have to offer some serious gadgets to even make me consider, and even then...

You're right, if you send it in they may upgrade the software.

Having said that, they offered the USB over the expresscard slot to enable their new portable capture drive to work. If they disabled this access, they would render ALL of their PHU-60K drives already sold useless... not a smart move.

I REALLY believe this is GREAT news for Sony!
I've already spoke to several who are now considering buying the EX1 due to cheaper memory cards (SDHC). SxS easily raises the price a couple thousand dollars.

If I were Sony, I would be working on their own expresscard adapter. I'd be willing to spend a "bit" more to be able to have Sony approved expresscards and close the dang EX1 memory door! lol

Last edited by Steven Thomas; October 19th, 2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old October 18th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #657
Trustee

Steven
Thanks for your reply.
RE: Sony- they may well be making much more profit from the sale of the SxS cards than they are from the camera. Hard to read their motives, but there is the iron law that memory always gets cheaper over time. They'll give in eventually.
Old October 18th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #658
Trustee

Since SxS stands for Sony by Sandisk (at least what I've heard) and it's the latest technology, I'm not sure about the profit margin.
Old October 19th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #659
Inner Circle

Blocking the use of SDHC would also probably block the use of the PHU-60. I don't think Sony would do that.
Old October 19th, 2008, 02:32 AM   #660
Major Player

Quote:
Perrone, yes that's not a bad idea just buying a Kensington for every SDHC card.
You're right, when the Ultra II 32GB 15MB/s SDHC cards come out in a month or two, for under $200 USD you can buy the Kensigton and the 32GB SDHC card!

Unreal..
Spot on. I have now ordered 4 32Gb Ultra 11's with 4 Kensingtons. No need to touch the sdhc cards once they are in the kensingtons. Just leave them in there. That is more than ample for a full days wedding shoot. As soon as the cards arrive and I have done full testing, all buut one of my 16Gb and all my 8Gb SXS cards will be up for grabs on ebay.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds