SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 47 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 21st, 2008, 07:04 AM   #691
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
Steven,

Any thoughts about these cards?

SDSDHV016GA15 SanDisk 16 GB Video HD SDHC Memory Card

About half-price after the rebate!
Unable to download rebate form from the Adorama website. Keeps saying "transferring", but never downloads. That aside, when you are able to download the form, check the address for the rebate. This from the SanDisk website:

For SanDisk Manufacturer's rebates:

If the rebate submission was mailed to one of the following address, it is a SanDisk Manufacturer’s rebate.
In the USA:

P.O Box 42903
Mesa, AZ 85274-2903
-or-
In Canada:

P.O. Box 4588 STN A
Toronto, ON M5W 4X1

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 09:18 AM   #692
Regular Crew

Sony SxS reader won't see Kensington adapter

I've got the Kensington adapter and the Sandisk 16gig cards, and they record fine on my EX-3. But the Sony SBAC-US10 SxS to USB card reader won't recognize the Kensington adapter. The cards simply don't mount on my Mac Pro. Has Sony perhaps made their reader SxS specific, and do I simply need to get another brand of Expresscard to USB reader?
Dave Bittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 09:27 AM   #693
Trustee

I haven't tried the sdhc and kensington in my sony reader because i sold the sony reader, however, i tried the sdhc and kensington in my laptop express slot and it works fine.
But why are you using the sony reader anyway ?
Do you have the little sdhc>usb reader ? sandisk and transcend make them, they're great, about the size of your thumb and no need for mains power like the sony reader.
That's what i use, it's just as fast as the sony reader.

Paul.
Old October 21st, 2008, 10:27 AM   #694
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bittner View Post
I've got the Kensington adapter and the Sandisk 16gig cards, and they record fine on my EX-3. But the Sony SBAC-US10 SxS to USB card reader won't recognize the Kensington adapter. The cards simply don't mount on my Mac Pro. Has Sony perhaps made their reader SxS specific, and do I simply need to get another brand of Expresscard to USB reader?
Yes Dave.
The Kensington is a USB based expresscard rearder. It will NOT work with the Sony SBAC-US10 which is PCIe based. No big deal since SDHC card readers can be bought for $7.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:21 PM   #695
Major Player

Another working Combo

I tried the i-dot-connect brand "18-in-1" card reader (PPA Int'l) with SanDisk 16GB and it works, HQ and SQ. Overcranks at 60frames 24p for about 16 seconds before media error. I got it at Fry's for $24.99
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 05:00 PM   #696
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby View Post
I tried the i-dot-connect brand "18-in-1" card reader (PPA Int'l) with SanDisk 16GB and it works, HQ and SQ. Overcranks at 60frames 24p for about 16 seconds before media error. I got it at Fry's for $24.99
I'd worry about the speed of these card readers. When I measured a bunch as late as 2006, some of the PQI and other cheapies topped out at 2 MB/Second read speed. If you want something more accurate than timing the transfer of a large file, try this program to measure the read/write performance:

HdTach

NOTE: be careful. The write test may obliterate the existing files on your card.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 05:56 PM   #697
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
SDSDHV016GA15 SanDisk 16 GB Video HD SDHC Memory Card
Unable to download rebate form from the Adorama website. Keeps saying "transferring", but never downloads. That aside, when you are able to download the form, check the address for the rebate. This from the SanDisk website:

For SanDisk Manufacturer's rebates:

If the rebate submission was mailed to one of the following address, it is a SanDisk Manufacturer’s rebate.
In the USA:

P.O Box 42903
Mesa, AZ 85274-2903
-or-
In Canada:

P.O. Box 4588 STN A
Toronto, ON M5W 4X1

John
Follow up:

The pdf file opened and the "rebate" is actually a SanDisk Visa Prepaid Card that can be used where merchants accept such a card. The cards have no cash value and are issued by a bank called MetaBank which I have never heard of. The so-called rebate does not appear to be an offer from SanDisk. Buyer beware.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:06 PM   #698
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby View Post
Ron, if I remember right this card will not allow the EX1 door to close, right?

Also, check 24P overcrank at 50FPS and see if this errors.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:16 PM   #699
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
I'd worry about the speed of these card readers. When I measured a bunch as late as 2006, some of the PQI and other cheapies topped out at 2 MB/Second read speed. If you want something more accurate than timing the transfer of a large file, try this program to measure the read/write performance:

HdTach

NOTE: be careful. The write test may obliterate the existing files on your card.
Real world results: I recorded 58 minutes (full card) 1080/60i. No prob.
Attached Files
File Type: wmv RK010358_01.wmv (5.37 MB, 250 views)
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:18 PM   #700
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Ron, if I remember right this card will not allow the EX1 door to close, right?

Also, check 24P overcrank at 50FPS and see if this errors.
That's correct Steven, door will not close. I tried 24p overcrank at 60 and 48fps - got 16 and 18 seconds respectively before it gave an error.
Old October 21st, 2008, 07:00 PM   #701
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Also, remember when installing 1.10 first, it will NOT display 1.10 at the end.
Just go on to install 1.11 after 1.10 is complete.

Thank you guys for all the help! Went like clockwork.

I absolutely CANNOT believe Sony want to charge $100 to do that 15 minutes of work. I'm in the wrong business.

My Kensingtons came today, and my card should be here by the end of the week. I hope to have 2-3 32GB cards by the end of November.

Life is good.
Old October 21st, 2008, 07:45 PM   #702
Major Player

Who has the Kensington card in stock ?

Can some one tell me who has these in stock, i am having problems finding them.

Kensington 7-in1 Media Reader for Express Card

Thanks rob.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:28 PM   #703
Major Player

Robert, your not alone. I'm also waiting because the Kensington is on back order. I'm after four of them, two from two suppliers, both are backordered.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:38 PM   #704
Inner Circle

I got mine in 4 days. I'll find out where we ordered from.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 09:17 AM   #705
Inner Circle

Two things I wanted to say.

1. I wanted to express my sincere gratitude for ALL who've blazed this trail. My SDHC card came in today, and I placed in the Kensington Reader and put it in the camera. After a 3 second format, it was ready to roll. Couldn't have been easier. This discovery has absolutely changed how I will be able to use this camera. I was stuck doing all long form recording to my Firestore in HDV. I will no longer have to do that. Absolutely magnificent.

2. I promised I would alert users where I got my stuff from:

The SDHC sources I had on the list are:

Kensington 7-in-1 Media Reader 7-in-1 - Memory Stick, xD-Picture Card, Memory Stick PRO, MultiMediaCard (MMC), Secure Digital (SD) Card - K33407US - Buy.com
Kensington 7 in 1 Media Reader for ExpressCard slot card reader ExpressCard by Office Depot
https://www.frontierpc.com/ProductDe...ctID=20132558G

And the sources I listed for the SDHC cards are:

Newegg.com - SanDisk Ultra II 16GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model SDSDRH-016G-A11 - Flash Memory
PC Connection - 16GB Ultra II Secure Digital High Capacity Card with Reader

I sent these to our purchasing person and she took it from there. Hopefully, you have as much luck as I did.

Again, thanks everyone!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds