SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 60 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 14th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #886
Trustee

Ian...
I'm not sure how you got that impression.
I've been involved in a LOT of these posts from the start.

It's only hit and miss if you do not use the recommended expresscard media reader and SDHC card.

The Kensington 7-in-1 expresscard reader & 16GB SanDisk Ultra II 15/MBs SDHC cards works.
Also, the new 16GB SanDisk Extreme III 30MB/s SDHC cards also work.

I have these cards and four Kensingtons and have used them everyday for over two months and have never had an error.

The real problem IS you may not find a Kensington to buy. It appears over the last couple months, we've managed to buy up a lot of the Kensington 7-in-1 cards.

Just remember, these are not for overcranking. Use your SxS to overcrank.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #887

It works. What more can we say, Ian?
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #888
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Ian...
I'm not sure how you got that impression.
I've been involved in a LOT of these posts from the start.

It's only hit and miss if you do not use the recommended expresscard media reader and SDHC card.

The Kensington 7-in-1 expresscard reader & 16GB SanDisk Ultra II 15/MBs SDHC cards works.
Also, the new 16GB SanDisk Extreme III 30MB/s SDHC cards also work.

I have these cards and four Kensingtons and have used them everyday for over two months and have never had an error.

The real problem IS you may not find a Kensington to buy. It appears over the last couple months, we've managed to buy up a lot of the Kensington 7-in-1 cards.

Just remember, these are not for overcranking. Use your SxS to overcrank.

maybe thats where I am getting the thought. so just make sure its the kensington, and all will be well....thanks.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #889
Trustee

Yes,
The best deal is buying the 16GB SanDisk Ultra II 15MB/s SDHC cards. Do NOT buy these on ebay. There are fakes out these that will NOT work.
SanDisk Ultra II fakes - Google Search

Stick to someone like B&H Video.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #890
Major Player

I want to second what Steven said - The Kensington is a must-have. I've had to order it as a backordered item on Amazon - took a couple weeks but they have fulfilled my order both times.

Also, the SanDisk Ultra II 16GB cards and the Extreme III 16GB cards - flawless and I can vouch for both.

Worthy of mention, however, many of us that have tried have had nothing but success with the Transcend 16GB Class 6 cards - I have a few. At least one person received a defective card, so apparently the quality control is better on the SanDisk. However, for half the price, it is a worthwhile consideration. Personally, I'll keep buying Transcend cards if they remain half the price and they continue to perform flawlessly for me. If I run into a bad one, I may change my mind.
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #891
Major Player

7-in-1 Media Reader for ExpressCard« Slot, Kensington 33407 at PartStore.com

right one?
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #892
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
That's the one. But charging $70 for a $40 item is a genuine rip-off.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #893
Major Player

it's bullet proof for normal HQ recording if you have the right combo... one of us would have had a failure by now..
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #894
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
That's the one. But charging $70 for a $40 item is a genuine rip-off.
yeah, just wanted to make sure I had it right. now to find it cheaper, and not backordered! hahaha.
Old November 14th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #895
Regular Crew

Got my kensington/sandisk last night. been working beautifully
Jon Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #896
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
yeah, just wanted to make sure I had it right. now to find it cheaper, and not backordered! hahaha.
I ordered the 2 Kensington readers and Sandisk Extreme III memory from B&H. The readers were backordered and turned out to be a 3 week delay. My order arrived earlier this week, so B&H should have fresh stock. I also took delivery of 2 Kensingtons readers from Compusmart in Canada and those arrived in just under two weeks and so they also should have fresh stock.

As others have confirmed all works as expected. I was surprised to actually see the EX3 door close with room to spare once the card/reader are installed. The memory card sure are tiny to move around for off-loading but a minor inconvenience considering the price.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #897
Major Player

Yeah, good thing we aren't recording to MicroSDHC!

SanDisk | Products | Mobile Products | SanDisk microSD? and microSDHC? Cards
Old November 14th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #898
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
At least one person received a defective card, so apparently the quality control is better on the SanDisk. However, for half the price, it is a worthwhile consideration. Personally, I'll keep buying Transcend cards if they remain half the price and they continue to perform flawlessly for me. If I run into a bad one, I may change my mind.
I've mentioned this earlier in the thread but I got a defective Sandisk UltraII that I got replaced from the vendor so Sandisks QC isn't perfect either.

Also - I just got my second adapter that has been out of stock for over a month. Appearantly they are still making them!
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #899
New Boot

A few weeks ago I decided to go down the SDHC route for my EX3... and duly ordered my Kensingtons (which of course are out of stock everywhere... ).

At the same time I also purchased some very inexpensive "Unitek" readers on eBay (AU$6.43 which is approx US$4.00!!) with the view to using them just to off-load the data to a laptop so that I didn't need to tie up the Kensington adaptors... Lo and behold, they work in the camera!! Didn't want to come up and say anything until I'd given them a good workout... Done multiple card fills over a 3 week period - both long clips and short ones - and have not struck a problem running either 1080i or 1080p... Coupled with a Transcend 16G Class 6 SDHC card (AU$50) I have no problems capturing 1080i 50i HQ... Over-cranking on 720P is fine up to 52fps... Fails after about 15 sec @ 53fps... Now I'm keeping my Sony 8G and 16G cards specifically for over-cranking... 16G for less than AU$60!!

Okay, there is a down-side... in that the door covering the card slots doesn't close (even on the EX3...) by just the smallest amount... When I get brave (or maybe a cheap 2G card), I might have a go at filing down the end of the SDHC card in order to allow the door to close, but hey! I'm happy that these things work!! For "inside" shoots, they're great!

....just thought I'd share the info....
Roger Hagelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #900
Regular Crew

how about Transcend Express34 SSDs?

I just came across the Transcend Express/34 SSD units.

Does anyone think these even have a chance of working?

Transcend 32GB (MLC) Express Card/34 Solid State Disk SSD Transcend SSD 32GB (MLC) Express Card/34 Solid State Disk Detail Page

-Greg
Greg Penetrante is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds