SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 77 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 28th, 2008, 07:50 PM   #1141
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
Will your adapter be available in the US locally?
For North American folks, as previously mentioned, I'm talking to a U.S. company about an adapter. So there will be more than one available option depending on where you are in the world.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #1142
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Herewini View Post
Hi Alex we are looking at that, but only if the delivered price can be kept under the Kensington/Delkin.
I have tried the Delkin adapter before purchased from Fry's electronics got change media error this is one on the first adapters that I tested but it was with a patriot card. I decided to go back to Fry's and try it again same thing change media error the card did not fit inside the adapter it stuck out even further than the Kensington. They must have revised the design have any of you guys tried the Delkin.
Attached Thumbnails
SDHC substitute for SxS cards-delkina.jpg  
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 02:49 AM   #1143
Major Player

Brian, there seems to be a version 1 and a version 2 (the one needed for the EX1).
However, I have not yet found a hint how to differentiate those two version.

Edit: Just read in the other forum that the older Delkin reader has the Delkin Device logo on the front and the SDHC card does not insert flush (above called version 1).
The new Delkin card reader does not have the logo on it and the SD card DOES mount flush (above called version 2). That's the one and
only that works with your EX 1. Thx GB.

Last edited by Peter Kraft; November 29th, 2008 at 04:09 AM.
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #1144
Major Player

Ok thanks the box is exactly the same could not find a model number. but I see what you mean about the logo going to return this one today. I will check to see if Fry's has this version.
Old November 29th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #1145
New Boot

Delkin Express Card

I believe this is other Delkin Card.
Attached Images

Rob Fiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #1146
Major Player

[QUOTE=Rob Fiedler;970266]I believe this is other Delkin Card.[/QUOTE

Thats the pic from the box same pic is on the version one and version two box you will have to look at the actual card.
Attached Thumbnails
SDHC substitute for SxS cards-delkinc.jpg  
Old November 29th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #1147
Trustee

Brian, so when ordering, say, from Amazon - how do I know which version will i get??
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #1148
Major Player

I think the best thing to do is order direct from Delkin. I have ordered but have not received
my card yet.

Expresscard Multi-card Adapter
Old November 29th, 2008, 09:22 AM   #1149
Regular Crew

Card

I just picked up another Kensington 7 in 1 card @ the Marietta Georgia Micro Center store. I had heard some of you west coast EX-1 users had some luck @ Micro center in the past.

I just happened to go to their website, punched in the 7 in 1 information and what do you know, up pop,s a card in my area.

Picked it up for $39.99. Now i have 2. I see no reason to purchase anymore. As i have 4 Sony SxS cards in the 8 gig flavor and 2 Kensingtons and 2 -16 gig Sandisk sdhc cards, i think i am set for my style of work and market.

The open door issue on the EX-1 for me at least is a non- issue. I use a 2 inch piece of (Black paper gaffers tape) to avoid any foreign matter from entering the card area.

In the future, as long as the 2 Kensington cards work properly, i will just buy SDHC cards.
Matthew Hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #1150
Regular Crew

sandisk..

got sandisk ultra 2 ...shaved it about mm and now i''m able to close the ex1 card door.
As mentioned before here..its possible to-do..also sandisk faster i think than some other cards (almost 50fps overcranking)

Raul
Raul Rooma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #1151
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
I think we may be in danger of going round in circles here, so I am going to make this my last post on the subject.
Thank you.
Nobody really cares if someone is opposed or approves to using different memory.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #1152

New EX3 Firmware

I'm curious...

Has anyone considered or had the thought that the alleged firmware update (December) for the EX3 may contain a "fix" that would prevent the use of the SDHC combination?

Is Sony planning a firmware update for the EX1 as well?

Or am I just being paranoid?
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #1153
Inner Circle

Just a quick post to report that my second Kensington Express card adapter arrived today and all works perfectly with a new Transend 16GB SDHC Class 6 card as expected. My EX3 just asked me to to reformat the media on insertion and then all was good to go.

My other Kensington (paired with a Sandisk Ultra II a couple of weeks back) is also still working absolutely fine (despite the few media error messages I initially got the first time I used it - see posts by me a while ago on this thread).
Old November 30th, 2008, 01:58 AM   #1154
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
For North American folks, as previously mentioned, I'm talking to a U.S. company about an adapter. So there will be more than one available option depending on where you are in the world.
This is very exciting news Chris! I've already damaged the door on my EX1 by leaving it open whilst using the Kensington. An adapter that allowed the door to close properly would really expand the range of shoots that I could take on. I would pay a premium over the Kensington or another adapter in order to allow for the door to close. Cheers!
Gabriel Chiefetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #1155
Major Player

Carry Case for the SXS and SDHC

Case Logic Model number jds6
Six cards can fit in this case see attachment
Attached Thumbnails
SDHC substitute for SxS cards-caselogic.jpg   SDHC substitute for SxS cards-caselogic2.jpg  

Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds