SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 84 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 6th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #1246
Trustee

Brian, Robert - I think for overcranking, we'll simply use the 8Gb SxS card that comes with EX1 anyway, included free with the camera.

For everything else, there's Masterca... I mean, SDHC.

Last edited by Alex Raskin; December 6th, 2008 at 06:20 PM.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #1247
Regular Crew

Just tried ordering a Kensington 33407 7-in-1 Media Reader through Amazon but they dont ship to Australia or this item they wont ship.

Regards
Nick Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #1248
Regular Crew

Received my order for the Kensington 7 in 1 express card from Amazon.com today. This being my second order. It will now be my last.

I also received my order of 2 Delkin 6 in 1 express cards from Adorama also today. I must say i am very impressed with this set of cards.

I installed the Ultra 2 card in the Delkin, put it in my EX-1. The camera recognized the card. Asked if i wanted to " Format" the card. Which i did. Works perfectly.

Now with my latest order, i have a total of 4- 8 gig Sony SxS cards. 3- Kensington readers with 3- 16 gig Ultra 2 SDHC cards and 2- Delkin readers with 2- 16 gig Ultra 2 SDHC cards.

Lol. I think i,m set. 144 gigs.
Matthew Hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #1249
Trustee

BTW...
I have a feeling these Delkin cards are hit and miss for working.

Out of the two I bought. One had an unknown media when I first used it.
It started working, but then stopped again. It may be the internal contacts.
I played around with it, but it's not working.

I heard another similar report.

If you find a source, you may want to order more than needed to replace the ones that don't work.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #1250
Trustee

Steven, in my view, Delkin is probably worse than IOC adapter. IOC at least will work reliably, but initially requires fumbling around, reinsertions, etc. until recognized by the cam.

Bottom line, it looks like the only 100% solution is Kensington right now.

I think, whatever the new adapter Chris is working on, he has a leeway of beta-testing it with people on this thread before mass-marketing that new adapter. And it better be reliable like Kensington :)
Old December 6th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #1251
Trustee

We'll have to test the Delkin more. Right now, it appears a quality control issue.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #1252
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
Brian, Robert - I think for overcranking, we'll simply use the 8Gb SxS card that comes with EX1 anyway, included free with the camera.
It may feel like the SxS card that came with the camera is free but it isn't. You paid for it.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #1253
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
We'll have to test the Delkin more. Right now, it appears a quality control issue.
I have 3 on the way and I assume a good number of people jumped on the Dekins last week as well when there was a good deal of evidence these things worked. In any event, we'll know in a few weeks once people run them through the paces.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #1254
Major Player

Nick,

contact me, i can tell you how to get some cards in australia,
rob.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #1255
Regular Crew

I bought 2 Delkins at the beginning of the week got them Thur., 1 worked the other was bad from the getgo. The one that worked worked flawlessly but it's a bit picky how you insert the cards. If you hold it by the flat sides the SD card won't insert properly and will give you errors but if you hold the adapter by the narrow sides then the card inserts properly and no problems. Works every time! I can't wait for more stock so I can get 4-6 more Delkin adapters plus get my bad one replaced.
Old December 7th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #1256
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
...whatever the new adapter Chris is working on, he has a leeway of beta-testing it with people on this thread before mass-marketing that new adapter. And it better be reliable like Kensington :)
I talked face to face today with one of the top people in that company (can't name them just yet... they'll issue an announcement when they're ready, that's their own call to make and not mine). They're perfect for the job -- it's just a matter of how quickly they can do it what with the end of the year and all. And yes I certainly will recommend to them that certain key contributors to this thread have the opportunity to beta-test it and put it through the paces. Keep your fingers crossed,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 05:16 AM   #1257
Major Player

sounds great ...

Chris is the new card a full SXS type or an adapter card?
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #1258
Major Player

i had kensingtons on order from 3 places, cancelled them all once I got the
Delkins, that still leaves me only with 2. I might dump some of my Lexar SSDs
for some more adapters.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #1259
Trustee

Dean, I think Chris is working on the adapter just like Kensington, but SHORTER so it'd fit inside EX1 compartment with the SDHC card in it, allowing EX1's door to close properly.
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #1260
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Dean, I think Chris is working on the adapter just like Kensington, but SHORTER so it'd fit inside EX1 compartment with the SDHC card in it, allowing EX1's door to close properly.
That's right -- a reliable, no-guess, no-fail working Express card adapter short enough to fit in an EX1 with the door closed. These guys already make high-quality SDHC cards, and they already have a world-wide distribution network, so they're perfect for the job. Should know more this week.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds