SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 90 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 19th, 2008, 03:37 AM   #1336
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Harrington View Post
Where are you picking them up?

A small shop on the main street in Akihabara. 9000yen which is about $90US. Maybe I could get them cheaper if I order online but needed it now.
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #1337
Inner Circle

the 16 gig ultra II sells here for about $40
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #1338
Inner Circle

I finally seeing placed taking preorders on the Sandisk Ultra II 32GB. It looks to be about $150-$160 depending the dealer. These seem to be legit dealers but I'm not sure if the DVInfo sponsors are taking orders yet.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #1339
Regular Crew

MxR/SDHC

I just received my MrX readers and I am happy to say they work as expected with 16 gig Transcend class 6 SDHC cards. This is awesome.

Michael Palmer
Michael Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #1340
Inner Circle

Did you pay for the expedited shipping?
I ordered airmail (slower method) since I'm still waiting for Sony Teaneck to tackle the camera. It seems the circuit board for the battery drain issue was on back order. They'll have it Friday (3 weeks after I brought in the camera!). I expected that so I didn't have a rush for the camera.

I'm looking to hear more reports on the Sandisk 32GB.

Tip 'o the xmas grog to Ross!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
I just received my MrX readers and I am happy to say they work as expected with 16 gig Transcend class 6 SDHC cards. This is awesome.

Michael Palmer
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #1341
Regular Crew

Yes, I paid for the extra fast shipping. I must report that 5 of the 6 MxR's are very tight and slipping the SDHC card into it has a lot of drag, and 4 of the 6 don't reject the card all the way and they need a little help. I also had 1 MxR allow me to remove the SDHC card while in the camera.

So the EX1 needs a new battery board to fix the drain issue? I wonder what Sony will say about my firmware update if bring my Ex1 in for this battery issue.

Michael Palmer
Old December 25th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #1342
Regular Crew

I know I don't post here much but when does the New Boot title change and to what?
Old December 25th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #1343
Regular Crew

Quote:
Yes, I paid for the extra fast shipping. I must report that 5 of the 6 MxR's are very tight and slipping the SDHC card into it has a lot of drag, and 4 of the 6 don't reject the card all the way and they need a little help. I also had 1 MxR allow me to remove the SDHC card while in the camera.

So the EX1 needs a new battery board to fix the drain issue? I wonder what Sony will say about my firmware update if bring my Ex1 in for this battery issue.

Michael Palmer
Would you, please describe in details how does it manifest itself this battery discharge issue. For any battery self-discharge is normal. The question I have what is your observation on rate of battery discharge (%%charge vs. time) being inserted into EX1 vs. released from camera battery?
Mark Krichever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #1344
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Krichever View Post
Would you, please describe in details how does it manifest itself this battery discharge issue. For any battery self-discharge is normal. The question I have what is your observation on rate of battery discharge (%%charge vs. time) being inserted into EX1 vs. released from camera battery?
Hi Mark,

The battery discharge problem was from the earlier EX1, where if you left BPU-60 attached to the battery it would be almost completely drained by the next morning from a full charge.

Sony replaced the board on my camera and problem fixed. It was done under warranty.
Old December 25th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #1345
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Herewini View Post
Hi Mark,

The battery discharge problem was from the earlier EX1, where if you left BPU-60 attached to the battery it would be almost completely drained by the next morning from a full charge.

Sony replaced the board on my camera and problem fixed. It was done under warranty.
Thanks Ross, I will check my camera, because I have a habit to remove battery after shooting.
Old December 25th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #1346
Regular Crew

The only thing I could tell you is that I found a fully charged large battery would be drained down to zero in about 30 hours or less. I don't have a clue as to why this happens, I just found out the hard way and helped spread the word last year when I started working with my EX1 last December.
Old December 25th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #1347
Regular Crew

Quote:
I know I don't post here much but when does the New Boot title change and to what?
Evidence indicates that it's at 25 posts. ;-)

I'm working hard to get there myself.
Brooks Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #1348
Regular Crew

Quote:
The only thing I could tell you is that I found a fully charged large battery would be drained down to zero in about 30 hours or less. I don't have a clue as to why this happens, I just found out the hard way and helped spread the word last year when I started working with my EX1 last December.
What is your camra S/N?
Old December 25th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #1349
Regular Crew

100999 on the Ex1
Old December 26th, 2008, 03:48 AM   #1350
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)

Quote:

Michael Palmer
Hi Michael,

I just scrolled up and saw you post.

Here's deal, the labels we had printed mean that sometimes with manufacturing variations, some of the cards are microns thicker, some of the cameras are microns smaller. We then added a label which was thicker than our specification, as it sticks out slightly from the card, by only a couple of microns, but we are dealing with pretty small tolerances here even on a good day.

We had to make decision on which thickness of stainless steel best suited our application, and we finally went for a higher grade knowing it might cause these problems, but considered it worth it for the additional robustness afforded. Sorry about that.

The work around is, could you please remove the label on the one that is the tightest fit, and see if that makes a difference. We have found that in our newest camera this works every time. We have in the meantime had a new set of labels printed for Monday, so if removing the labels works we'll send out replacements to anyone who is having a problem.

As a further note we are also investigating printing directly on the card itself, so we can get rid of this problem, but haven't been happy with the results so far. ( Well ok they smudged like an inkjet on steel ). But I am confident the print guys will come up with a solution.

BTW. Removing the label will not void your warranty.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds