SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 91 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 26th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #1351
Regular Crew

Tight Fit

Ross,
First off I want you to know how much I appreciate your dedication to making this possible.

Your MxR reader fits great into the EX1 and EX3 cameras I have, it is the SDHC cards fitting tight into the MxR just to clarify what I was commenting on. The SDHC cards I have are the TRANSCEND 16 GIG (CLASS 6) SDHC and they are the only cards I have tried into your MxR reader. 4 of the 6 MxR readers I have are fit very snugly and when I eject the cards they will not fully eject the SDHC cards. I even found I could push on the SDHC cards while inside the Camera and I could remove them. I was really just commenting so others would secure the SDHC cards properly into the MxR before inserting it into the camera.

It is great to hear you choose higher quality materials for this product.

Thanks again for producing it.

Michael Palmer
Michael Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #1352
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
100999 on the Ex1
This s/n looks like beginning of EX1 production. My camera has s/n S0101 107050. It explains no battery drainage.
Thank you for letting me know.
Mark Krichever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #1353
Inner Circle

The first camera I had (Dec '07) was replaced in Feb '08 with s/n 103861 and it exhibited the battery drain issue. My experience was much as Michael describes.

I generally don't leave the battery attached to the camera but there have been times when I noticed the train even during long transit from location to location during the day when I was less inclined to take the battery off.

That and once leaving the batter on overnight was enough to convince me this was an accident waiting to happen. I did not want to start buying additional batteries to cover a fault in the camera.

Ironically when I brought the camera in to Teaneck NJ for the firmware upgrade and battery issue dealt with, the Sony person who took the camera mentioned they had a huge backlog of cameras coming in for the firmware upgrade but very few mentioned the battery drain issue. Meanwhile the camera was being held up about two weeks due to a backorder on the circuit board used to fix the battery issue.

Hence, I waited for Sony to do the firmware upgrade so I'll probably start testing cards at the end of the week.

Michael's post does bring up something interesting about the tolerances of the cards. I wonder if there's a difference between Transcend and Sandisk SDHC cards. Maybe all this is why Sony bailed on 3rd party card certification. Maybe this is the argument for an all in one (prebuilt) card but I think Ross brought up that issue with regards to the economy of scale (SDHC cards needed to purchase).
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 01:34 PM   #1354
Trustee

Anyone tried these yet ?

OCZ 16GB Slate Series Express card - OCZEXPSLT16G - www.microdirect.co.uk

Paul.
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #1355
New Boot

I tried the adaptor

The adaptor and the Express flash card worked wothout problems in my EX-1.1
Hal Protter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #1356
Trustee

What adaptor and what flashcard?
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #1357
Regular Crew

I don't understand this but the Sandisk Ultra II 15MB/s class 4 cards are now class 2.
I purchased a dozen of them at BestBuy Canada only to find out that they are all class 2.
I had purchased some from B&H and BestBuy a couple of months ago and they where all class 4. But now B&H shows a thumbnail with a class 2 card: SanDisk | 16GB Ultra II Secure Digital (SDHC) | SDSDRH-016GR

Anyhow, I opened one and tested it and it works pretty well. I was also able to shoot 720 24p slow motion at 48fps without any errors. I also filled up the card, while deleting a few clips once in a while and it seems to be as reliable as the class 4 cards. I used it with my Kensington adapter, should be getting my MxR Expresscard Reader soon!
Robert St-Onge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #1358
Major Player

I thought it was mentioned that the speed of the Ultra II's actually exceeded the Class 4 that they were branded with. It seemed that they left it at Class 4 for to help differentiate it from the Extreme III's. I wonder if, with the huge popularity of the Ultra II's (thanks to all of us!), if marketing didn't decide to give them a demotion.

Wouldn't be the first time marketing departments changed strategy to correct sales and sway popular opinion.

Just a thought, since I had my 'conspiracy theorist' hat on!
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #1359
Trustee

This is the right Sandisk Ultra II card, works fine.

Also 2x cheaper than in Robert's link.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #1360
Inner Circle

And here's 32GB version which I bought
Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra II SDHC 32GB Card: Electronics
Granted it's much more expensive.
Note the dealer is J&R which I live near so I picked it up in person.
I just can't resist the thought of four hours of recording with no thought to change cards. It means not having to go into my pockets or camera bag in dark locations.
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #1361
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
And here's 32GB version which I bought
Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra II SDHC 32GB Card: Electronics
Granted it's much more expensive.
Note the dealer is J&R which I live near so I picked it up in person.
I just can't resist the thought of four hours of recording with no thought to change cards. It means not having to go into my pockets or camera bag in dark locations.
Hi Craig,
Did you thoroughly tested it with MxR?
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #1362
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Krichever View Post
Hi Craig,

I tested them with the MxR filled two cards 118min on ecah one no problems.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #1363
Inner Circle

I still have a few tests I want to run but so far so good.

As Brian notes the basic "fill up the card" test works.

It can take some time to try all the tests one might have in mind if one has some tests based on capacity and it takes you nearly 2 hours to hit the max on these cards.

I do have some avenues I'd like to explore though.

Quote:
Hi Craig,
Old January 8th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #1364
Regular Crew

Was it in HQ 1920 x 1080 60p fps too?
Old January 8th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #1365
Inner Circle

Quote:
Was it in HQ 1920 x 1080 60p fps too?
There is no 1080/60p, only 720/60p.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds