Using ex footage in an SD show - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 20th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #16
Major Player

[QUOTE=Brian Cassar;935539]All I can say is that when I view the footage (SD DV) from my DSR-300 DVCAM camcorder on a 40 inch Bravia HD-LCD (from 5 feet away), the picture is absolutely fantastic (OK granted not as good as a CRT but still very good) but when I view the HD-SD downconverted EX3 footage from the clip browser or the Axio it is absolute trash - everything is out of focus and blurred. There is absolutely no comparision and yet it is the same TV/monitor.

It is also true that when I showed the downconverted EX3 footage to "the man in the street" they couldn't find anything wrong! But I know that the loss in quality is phenomenal and I'm sure that there will be clients at a later stage that will complain of lack of quality.
QUOTE]

I think you're absolutely right. I am a BIG stickler for image quality. In high definition the EX1 is phenomenal. The colors are great, wide shots are sharp...no complaints.

All the software solutions I've tried (Canopus Procoder, Sony Clip Browser, Premiere CS3, Sony Vegas, Final Cut Pro 6) do not look as good as 16:9 or 4:3 standard def originated footage (I'm looking at JVC DV5000, Panasonic DVX100 and Canon XL-2) video. I'd be really curious for someone to post a clip (even if it's :15 or so) of downconverted EX1 footage from one of the hardware solutions (AJA, Blackmagic Design, etc.). 4:3 center crop and 16:9 squeeze! Please!
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 01:14 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Use avisynth with a script similar to the following:

AVISource("this.avi")
Spline36Resize(648, 365)

get the premiere avs plugin, drop that avs script file into a standard dv premiere project, and export to dvd.

the spline36 algorithm in avisynth is probably the best out there, especially for downrezzing
Jon Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 08:43 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Mr. Sands, or anyone? What's it all about Alfie? That last post? Greek to me. If you have a solution that really works, I and hundreds of others would appreciate some implementation details. Please?
William Urschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 09:42 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Sands View Post
Use avisynth with a script similar to the following:

AVISource("this.avi")
Spline36Resize(648, 365)

get the premiere avs plugin, drop that avs script file into a standard dv premiere project, and export to dvd.

the spline36 algorithm in avisynth is probably the best out there, especially for downrezzing
I must say I agree with William. I've heard about avisynth but could not make heads and tails about it. The reply above is even more confusing - I admit I did not understand a word of it.

Am I asking too much if someone can be so kind and explain to me (and possibly others) a proper step by step procedure on how to use avisynth for premiere.

Thanks!
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 10:43 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Ill make a step by step post in about 20 minutes, working on a ridiculous school paper.
Jon Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 12:34 AM   #21
Regular Crew

getting much sharper SD results from your HD footage - The Digital Video Information Network
Jon Sands is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds