Good EX3 bag - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 29th, 2008, 09:17 AM   #46
New Boot

EX3 Bag

I have the PortaBrace CTC 1 and it fits the EX3 fine, though I agree that it doesn't have much extra room for accessories or a laptop. Sony makes a hard case for the EX3 that's supposedly meets ATA standards for shipping and transit.

Sony Product Detail Page - LCEX3TH
Michael Kushner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:39 AM   #47
Inner Circle

EX3 Bag to fit Airline Cabin Baggage in UK/EU

There are several Bag threads going on the EX3 but thought I'd post a link in here to a sort of solution for getting one into the cabin for airlines in the UK/EU. We tend to have much stricter and smaller maximum bag dimensions than America etc. No it's not a perfect solution but it's workable!

Airline transportation - Page 2 - The Digital Video Information Network

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; December 2nd, 2008 at 09:23 AM.
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #48
Major Player

I got a kata 207 today and although I tried it in a hurry when I bought my ex3, it dosent really fit. I can close it, nut it's quite a bit of pressure on the mic holder.
I don't know what I did at the retail place that made me think it was a good fit.
Luckily I only ordered mine and didn't pay doeit yet.
The one I have at home is owned by a production company I work for
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #49
Regular Crew

KATA R - 106 for EX3

Has anyone tried the R-106 from KATA yet?

Video bags camera bags Kata - Manufacturer of camera bags

I noticed that the photo´s were done with the EX1...

I have worked with the 502 from KATA, but it is far too much backpack for my needs.
I shoot mostly extreme sports, which meens, the backpack must fit my body well, for snowboarding, riding enduro bikes and snow-mobiles or just plain hiking...(equipment gets reduced to a minimum, cam; cards; batts; rain slicker; first aid;cell phone; lighter; minimal food; 1l water)

Riding an enduro bike with the 502 was a nightmare in itself,
YouTube - Erzberg Rodeo 2008
run and gun activities, were severely hampered by having the cam in my hand and the near empty bag on my back.
when shooting in countries like Romania,
Home
it is very unwise to put anything down and move away from it......as it probably won´t be there when you get back (o;

I have bought the KATA CC-197 as an emergency solution (for general transport and safekeeping) untill I find a decent back-pack and when the need arises, I use my North face hiking pack to stow the cam and minimised tools for the mission, but it is not very protected, which makes the going slow.

I tried the EX3 in a friends 207 and while it did, "sort of fit", it was a very tight squeeze and left very little space for anything else.

as you can see, I´m for KATA all the way

If anyone comes up with an acceptable way of removing the viewfinder, which doesn´t involve a degree in rocket science, or a cutting torch, i´d be pleased to hear about it.

perhaps something to look forward to on the EX5???????
Kenny Cowburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #50
Inner Circle

One thing I've yet to try but the Petrol PCCB-2-N mentioned and pictured on the link in my post above with the EX3 nicely within is that it also has the option of a harness (an optional extra). This turns it into a (sort of) back pack. It's more of a rectangular 'brick type backpack' with the harness (from the pics on the Petrol website!) but it's an option for the EX3 to at least be aware of.
Old December 9th, 2008, 07:46 AM   #51
Major Player

I bought the Kata 502 when the R-106 was not available, and I would like to look at the 106 instead. It is officially a fit for the Ex-1. but with a 7.9 depth, it may be tight to fit over the EX-3 viewfinder. However, if the 207 can fit over the Ex-3, then the 106 can. The 207 is only 7 inches deep. The Ex-3 is about 7.75 inches deep (or high).
If anyone is near a dealer, then it would be nice to find this out. Kata are terrible at responding to e-mail - but I am a huge fan of their bags and own a few. Petrol and Portabrace for me don't come close to the detail that Kata put into their bags, especially the interior configurations.

I have to trek through northern Thailand in three weeks, so I am anxious to sort this problem out, as I feel the 502 will be too big for this trip - even though I love this bag. I am also looking at the 197 which is much lighter than a backpack - without the harnessing. Of course its not as comfotable to carry.
Will this Ex-3 bag ever have a solution?
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:03 AM   #52
Tourist

Lightware

One bag I have not seen mentioned in the thread is the Lightware VF4400 (Lightware VF4400). As you can see from the pics. it will take a fully rigged EX3 with room to spare. The Lightware cases are very robust. I've got a bunch of their cases which I've used for shipping still camera gear on flights and never had a problem. With a bit of protective padding around the EX3 I don't think I'd have any problem checking this in for a flight. The case weighs 13lbs and even with the camera rigged as shown the whole thing is easily carried.
Attached Thumbnails
Good EX3 bag-img_0004.jpg   Good EX3 bag-img_0007.jpg  

Good EX3 bag-img_0008.jpg   Good EX3 bag-img_0010.jpg  

Jonathan Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 05:25 AM   #53
Regular Crew

My bags

Hi All

Forgive me if you have read this advice before...but here is my experience regarding bag/case options for an EX3 for what its worth.
I bought a Petrol PCBP-3N. The EX3 fits snugly in the bag and there is loads of space for shotgun mike, softie, radio mics Pag lights power packs......etc. Once nice feature if a large pocket which can swallow a 17" Mac Book pro with ease. The bag when fully loaded is fairly heavy but the design of the bag makes for a comfortable ride. It is great for reaching those remote locations. I also have a peli 1640 which is a bit of a monster, but can take a load of other kit so is a good way of moving around the EX3 and other the other bits and bobs that are required. Hope this may be of some use.
Eric A Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #54
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
I have found my utopia in a camera bag...

And I feel a little like Edison for so many failed attempts preceding this one!

Kata CC-197. Unless you want a backpack, this bag is IDEAL!
Ted, will the EX3 still fit in the Kata 197 bag with my DM shoulder brace attached?
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #55
Major Player

I think I looked at every bag possible - I even bought a few that went on to ebay after one use! I settled for the Kata cc197. My Ex-3 with matte box fits fine. So do my 3 mics and lavs and batteries etc. My MacBook goes inside a padded side pocket. This bag does it all and it will go as hand carry (just - if you smile)!

The Lightware VF4400 is very heavy and very expensive and can only be checked - do you really want to check your Ex-3?? Absolutely not, as far as I am concerned. Damage is the last thing I worry about - lost luggage is worse than ever. It's happened twice to me in the last year. The camera stays with me. I think the VF4400 is a great bag if you do not fly or have to trek up a mountain.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #56
Trustee

For those looking for a case for an EX3 with a 35mm adaptor, rod setup, here's what I found (I need to take some photos)

1) We originally purchased the Kata MCC-2A but it wasn't wide enough to accommodate the EX3 viewfinder. Actually it worked okay without the rod setup, but once we installed the rods, it raised the camera off the floor of the case enough that it no longer could be zipped closed.

2) SOLUTION! We bought a Zacuto Storm case specifically designed for the EX3 and Letus Ultimate adaptor (other adaptors should also fit, depending on how long a lens you decide to leave on the camera....we always leave our 50mm lens on when we put it back in the case)

The Storm case large and heavy, but it has wheels which makes it much easier to transport. But I like how we can take all our lenses, battery charger, microphones, cables, clip board, memory cards, head phones, extra batteries, etc... and we still have room for more stuff. There are even little slots for business cards and the users manual. If the case was a bit smaller it would be perfect, but it works well for our use.
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #57
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Ted, will the EX3 still fit in the Kata 197 bag with my DM shoulder brace attached?
and then some! The CC-197 is a big bag and will swallow quite a bit of gear! My EX-3 is fitted with the VF Gadget version and fits in no problem!
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #58
Major Player

So I have with some interest waded through all the posts on the 'perfect' bag for the EX3, and unless I have missed it somewhere, has anyone tried a bag for an EX3 fitted with the COCOEX V-mount battery adapter AND a Lectro (or similar) wireless receiver holder attached to the plate on the side of the COCO? While this is a bit cumbersome, I like to keep at least one wireless receiver attached to my camera at all times. This setup requires a lot of space on the handgrip side of the camera, as well as of course the VF side. I tried a Kata 197 and it didn't fit with this receiver/battery setup. I also use a Chrosziel sunshade that I prefer to leave on the camera..... and one thing I'd like a bag to do, is provide for some protection for transporting the camera in a vehicle while on a shoot. But, I'd like to have the camera fully rigged (shotgun mounted using a CAC-12 which raises the mic substantially), matte box, battery, wireless with antennas attached. In this configuration, I wouldn't expect ANY bag to close, but if it could be left open so the camera could easily be removed and replaced repeatedly during a shoot day, this would be a big plus. So far, I haven't seen a thing which would accommodate this.... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Derek Reich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #59
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Inglis View Post
and then some! The CC-197 is a big bag and will swallow quite a bit of gear! My EX-3 is fitted with the VF Gadget version and fits in no problem!

Is the VF brace as long as the DM (I do not have the battery hinge), just the shoulder bit.
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #60
Major Player

I've had not problems fitting my EX3 in the CC-197 bag. I have the DM shoulder mount with the hinge and an anton-bauer battery and there is length to spare. I've even left the sony WA adapter on. The only thing I remove is the shotgun. Thanks to the DM-accessories cold mount adapter for the EX cameras audio pod, it's a twist of the thumb and it slides out. I don't even remove the 90 degree mic connector. I just spin the shotgun 180 degrees and lay it back in the bag.

I also use the K-tek mount - the protruding rubber keeps anything from scratching the camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds