Good EX3 bag at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 16th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Good EX3 bag

hey all,
we just bought the new Sony EX3 and I'm having problem finding a good bag for it.
All the one that I saw are too narrow to fit the large viewfinder of the camera,
anyone found the perfect bag? please share your findings
many thx
Eric Peltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Sorry, I should have search first of course!!
found thread on EX34 bag.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...le-ex-3-a.html
Eric Peltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #3
Major Player

I started the EX-3 backpack thread - but I am always open to new reports.

So far its still bleak on good bags for the EX-3. I just checked out the new Portabrace but again, the EX-3 fits but nothing else - very little left for accessories. Yes, we can put those in our main luggage, but what happens on location?

And what about the laptop?

The only backpack so far is the Kata 502, that seems to do everything a bag should and swallow up the EX-3!
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #4
New Boot

Hy John,

Were you referring to the Porta Brace CO-PC?

PortaBrace - Product Detail:CO-PC

I don't think this is really a new bag, made for the EX-3.
Alex da Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #5
Major Player

Kata bp 502

Backpack, trolley, plenty of room for all your gear! It's a big mutha... but function supersedes form in this case... no pun intended.

I wrestled between this one and the new one from the vermont manufacturer, but I believe fewer bags are better, especially if you're a one man show. Additionally, the 502 has a well organized layout and cushions the cam and the precious viewfinder on the ex3 nicely.

my 2 cents

Greg

Last edited by Greg Chisholm; September 16th, 2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: typo
Greg Chisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #6
Major Player

I was on a flight last week without my camera, but decided to do a test...

I selected a flight that accepts larger bags - 51 inches. This was US Airways. It was a direct flight from Tampa to PA. I brought a rolling carry-on bag that I compared to the Kata bag earlier. If I lay them both flat on their backs, the Kata bag is about three inches longer, two inches wider, and (cough, cough), about four inches taller.

My carry-on barely fit in the overhead - squished it in and the door only barely closed. And the flight crew were very outspoken about how they were getting very stringent now about carry-ons since people are trying to carry more and check less since nobody wants to pay the additional fees.

The Kata BP-502 would have required checking. Sure, I can put the camera in my lap, but I'd still have to check lens adapters, mics, spare batteries, etc.

I'm pretty concerned and more than a little disappointed. Tomorrow I'm taking a small cutting torch to the viewfinder to rectify this whole issue. I'm gonna shoot blind from now on - maybe I'll start a trend. "Hey, man, videography is an art form - you don't have to see it, you just have to feel it. Peace, man."
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #7
Major Player

A friend brought his portabrace bag with an Ex-1 inside - I popped in my EX-3 to check the fit. There is a bulge to the side of the bag, so yes I think its the CO-PC. I think when he said it was new - he probably meant new to him !!
Again, little room elsewhere and no laptop compartment.
I will live with the Kata bag for now and deal with the airline problem when it comes up - in October I fly to China.

You would think Sony would commission a bag to be made for the EX-3.
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #8
Major Player

Have yet to fly with the Kata CC-195, but as I said in the other thread, it fits my accessories (see pix), protects the camera, and is carry-on. Together with a Brenthaven computer bag, it should work out. I'll post again after flying with it next week.
Mike Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #9
New Boot

Mike you should be OK with the 195.
I recently traveled with a few other filmmakers and one of them have this bag as his carry on for some time and never had problems before.
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #10
New Boot

Checking the Kata's site I run into a new released bag, the CC-197

They don't mentioned the EX-3 on the page but the camera selection points to that bag.

Video bags camera bags Kata - Manufacturer of camera bags

It seems slightly bigger than the 195 and they say it has carry on specs.
Old September 18th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #11
New Boot

Another new option, also carry on size:

PortaBrace - Product Detail:CTC-1
Old September 18th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #12
Major Player

I do not mean to dampen anyone's enthusiasm for new bags for the EX-3, but I would restrict this to tested examples, with a photograph posted of the Ex-3 inside the bag. Otherwise it's all guesswork.

The Portabrace CTC-1 is way too narrow for the EX-3 at 7.7" wide. My EX-3 is just over 11" wide.

While I did find 3 bags in total that are practical (not talking huge rolling cases here), the only one I purchased was the Kata 502 that can actually accommodate the EX-3 with protection and take accessories (2 mics-lavs-cables-batteries-power-headphones etc) and a good size laptop and its a backpack as well.

If someone can find these 3 criteria in a smaller bag- please let me know and I will purchase immediately. I am tired of shipping bags back for a refund!
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #13
Major Player

Alex, I'd looked at the 197, but didn't think it would work as carryon. Kata says it will, but if you look at its linear dimensions (53.4), only Air Tran & Jet Blue say they'll accept that. Not to say others won't break their own rules, but...
\RickSeaney.com Airline Carry-On Baggage Chart

Jon, the 195 offers excellent protection and will work for accessories (see pictures on http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...-ex-3-a-5.html), but it won't work with a computer and it's not a backpack. I think you've found the only one so far that will pack everything and where size is not a consideration. I'd be very interested to see if anyone's bought the Kata HB-207, Kata | HB-207 GDC Hiker Backpack | KT HB-207 | B&H Photo Video which is a backpack and will take the computer, but is slightly smaller than the 502. One poster said it wouldn't close on the camera, but the dimensions indicate that it should.
Mike Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #14
New Boot

Mike, I noticed the "linear size" is larger than what's suppose to be.
It's only by a few inches but that should be enough to create problems if they want to.

I'm not really worried about fitting everything. I usually check my tripod/lighting/cable bag and a Pelican case with accessories, sound gear and expandables.

It will be a challenge to flight alone with this camera (+ batteries) and a laptop.
2 person crew should be OK.
Old September 18th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #15
Major Player

I'm interested in trading my EX3 for a Handycam. Any takers? ;-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds