Ex7? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 16th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Ex7?

Just noted, by accident, on the Tripod Fixing thread that Joe Sutherland's rental price list in Canada lists the EX1 and 3, and also lists an EX7 with an indication to "CALL" - presumably for an inside line on a new item? Or is it April already? Anyone else know about this?

Not sure I can include a link so you'll have to look it up the google way and click on "price list" to download the .pdf.

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

That rate for the EX-3 sure is quite low...as for the EX-7 ?? has anyone called?
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Damn. Now I have to sell the EX3 for a new camera.
Old September 16th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

EX-7 is in the future

Relax, there is no EX-7, yet. I rent some high end equipment from Joe Sutherland Rentals when my clients request specific formats here in Toronto. Joe is an interesting character. He was one of the pioneer cameramen who shot news with film cameras for the CBC many years ago. He is just having some fun with Sony. He sees an accelerated time line for the small EX cameras and is just making a point with Sony. It's because he has been waiting a long time for the arrival of the 2/3" PDW700 cameras. He bought a few dozen 1/2" XDCAMs a few years ago and had waited for the 2/3" broadcast version for a few years. Meantime, the small EX cameras changed models before the arrival of the PDW700. It's just a joke with an element of truth. He upgrades his gear often.
Joe supplies mostly HD cameras for cameramen who need specific formats for their series or broadcast work.. He has Sony R900s, 730s, lots of XDCAM 330s and 350s and of course EX-3s. He even has the high end Panasonics. He was really happy when he had the first and only PDW700HD in his shop when all the other cameras were at the Olympics. He is very knowledgable about camera specs and really helps cameramen/women do their job right.
Peter Mykusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #5
Inner Circle

What does he make of his long-awaited PDW700 Peter?
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Joe's EX-7 & PDW700

I asked Joe to comment on EX-7 he said;

"The EX series will inevitably expand to an EX-7 and maybe even an EX-9 model.
Pure speculation, the EX7 = 4.2.2 50 Mbs. the EX9 = 4.2.2 100 Mbs. time frame NAB 2009 and NAB 2010."

Joe believes in the XDCAM format and he puts his money where his mouth is by having the largest rental stock of high end XDCAMs in Canada if not North America. He has over 70 XDCAM units and most of them are full size cameras with a few Panasonics for television and independent work. He concentrates on renting gear to independent cameramen. He anticipates their needs because he has been a cameraman since the early days ofrecording news on film.

The image quality of the PDW700 is truly amazing. Joe has one attached one to an HD monitor for people to use and to get comfortable with the controls in his shop.
It's the model that was used at the Olympics by NBC, CBC and CTV. It only shoots in 60i but Joe prefers 30p. He knows that the next software update will give the 700 30p and believes the 700 will have 24p by NAB 2009. He thinks that this camera will be the next "Betacam" for broadcasters. He says that 30p is the best compromise for the highest picture quality and the appearance of 24p motion blur. He has convinced many cameramen to not shoot in 24p but 30p as throwing away 20% of your data before you even edit is not a good idea.
"Throw away your information at the editing stage", is his mantra, "unless you are doing a video to film transfer."

I like to think that I'm pretty knowledgeable regarding technical matters but Joe really knows everything. It would help if some of the members encouraged him to register and add his input. It would be very interesting.

Here is a link to the EX-3 camera mount that he ordered for his cameras. The photo does not show the shoulder pad. The finished plates will be painted with anodized black paint
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/members/p...nd-rentals.jpg
Peter Mykusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks for the info Peter, I was thinking it could be the next Digibeta too, it ticks a lot of boxes.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds