Wide Angle Adapter for EX1: How the Schneider? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 17th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #1
Trustee

Wide Angle Adapter for EX1: How the Schneider?

Hey Folks,

We're about to take the plunge on an EX1 purchase and I want to know which wide angle adapter to purchase.

Anyone have a recommendation for a wide angle adapter?

Anyone used the Schneider optics .75 zoom through?

Thanks!
Old September 17th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I bought the .6

My camera is at Sony getting the firmware update. I have purchased the Century .6 adapter, have it in hand, but no camera to try it on! Camera is due back any day and when it is, I will test the lens and post the video for you. Century reps told me the .6 is a great lens with little barrel distortion. The .7 was recalled due to defects.

Phil
Phil Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #3
Major Player

The sony .8 wa

I use the sony .8 wa all the time. works great. caution, the sunshade can not be removed.
Best, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #4
Trustee

So, no one has tried the Schneider .75?
Old September 19th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #5
Major Player

.75 was recalled .. I have the .6 and the fisheye and they both work great!
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #6
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Mersereau View Post
Hey Folks,

We're about to take the plunge on an EX1 purchase and I want to know which wide angle adapter to purchase.

Anyone have a recommendation for a wide angle adapter?

Anyone used the Schneider optics .75 zoom through?

Thanks!
We have redesigned our .75x for the EX1/EX3 and it will be available for purchase in mid-November. It is significantly better quality than any .75x we have produced to date and is 1/2 pound lighter.

.75X W/A HD CONVERTER EX1/EX3 - Schneider Optics

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

"Ryan Avery:We have redesigned our .75x for the EX1/EX3 and it will be available for purchase in mid-November"

Hi Ryan,

Could you recommend a retailer in Europe for your converter?

Thanks,
Old September 29th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Tried the 6x Adapter from Century

I recently bought the 6x from Century and am very pleased. There is a slight barrel edging to it but not bad. I will use this lens for real estate video shots, so the barrel affect is not a problem.

Phil
Phil Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #9
Major Player

I have the Century Fisheye Adapter and the CAVision .7x adapter for the EX1. I actually ordered and sent back the Century Wide .6x, just didn't seem necessary since I had the Fisheye and it didn't seem especially sharp. I like the Century Fisheye and seems like a good deal.

I recently got the CAVision .7x and I like it for it's sharpness, definitely sharper and less CA than the Century Fisheye (and I think the Century .6x) , especially around the edges

All these lenses have good bayonet adapters, but you will need to remove screw-on 77mm filters from the front of your EX1 to use them. And they need special sunshade/hoods as the front diameters are very big, like +100 mm.

Another thing with the less expensive 'adapter' type lenses is you need to use them in the EX1's 'macro' and autofocus modes, because they are focusing on the adapter itself, rather than through the lens. You can zoom through them a bit, about 50% of the zoom range, and then after that they just go out of focus immediately. This makes the lenses cheaper, as they are single element, and usually smaller and lighter than other types. The downside is that you have to keep the lenses spotless and dust free.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds