DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Circular Polarisers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/133631-circular-polarisers.html)

Paul Curtis September 19th, 2008 03:40 PM

Circular Polarisers

Is anyone succesfully using a circular polariser from a stills camera? I have a B+W circular polariser but it generates a lot of internal reflections from what i can tell. Drastically lowering contrast and creating white (reflection) spots.

I've put together quite a nice system using the Lee filter system for medium format/SLR, which has a 77mm screw on adaptor with a filter holder. The 77mm adaptor comes through the filter adaptor so i can add a circular polariser as well any filters (ND grad combinations mostly).

All works pretty neatly save for this B+W Pola. And the problem exists even if you screw it directly on the lens and put the EX hood on top.

Is this an issue with other 77mm threaded polas or unique to this make?

cheers
paul

Ola Christoffersson September 19th, 2008 04:33 PM

I've had the same experience with a B+W polarizer. Almost ruined my footage. Luckily the Avid color corrector could save it. Almost no contrast...

Paul Curtis September 19th, 2008 04:55 PM

I've been sitting here for the past 3 hours rescuing some B+W trashed footage with magic bullet so i can relate to that completely.

I could choose to go on about how magic bullet is so nearly an excellent CC plug in, but choose to whinge about polarisers instead.

So, is it just B+W, or all of them?

cheers
paul

Allan Black September 19th, 2008 06:15 PM

There's other material on CPs in the archives here; one of the biggest problems is you set it up for the correct light on one shot then pan the camera.

Cheers.

Craig Hollenback September 19th, 2008 06:23 PM

I have B+H as well

I too have a B+H polarizer and have experienced the same problems described. I don't use it at all now which is a shame considering the cost.
Best, Craig Hollenback

Charles Papert September 19th, 2008 06:41 PM

Very surprised to hear about the problems you guys are having. B&W (aka Schneider) polas are considered industry standard, here referring to the full-blown film industry. They should present no issues with spots or contrast (if anything they should increase contrast when used properly). If anyone can post before and after pictures that would be very interesting to see what the issues are.

Paul Curtis September 20th, 2008 02:41 AM

3 B+W problems so far, that's pretty interesting.

I will try and get some samples, trouble is the footage i have already has no before and after, and im out of the country in a few days (need a pola!).

Can anyone recommend a polariser, what are others using sucessfully? I think i'll have a formatt one on monday to try.

As for setting up the shot and panning, this isn't to do with the actual effect of the pola changing depending on sun angle. Instead stick the pola on and marvel at how the image is destroyed by flare and reflected hot spots.

As for B+W, works great on my dSLR, i wonder if these things are made differently (stills vs movie)?

cheers
paul

Gareth Watkins September 20th, 2008 05:27 AM

Hi there
I've been successfully using a 4x4 Schneider Tru pol filter since I bought my Z1... no issue and pictures look great... I use these in a TLS mattebox.

I often double is up with a 0.9 ND Grad and get some great landscape footage... Other filter I trust would be Tiffen...

Cheers
Gareth

Ben Ruffell September 20th, 2008 01:59 PM

Heliopan slim screw on's have worked great for me.

Never had a problem with Schneider 4x4 tru-pol.

Ben Ruffell

Leonard Levy September 20th, 2008 03:08 PM

Make sure you are using your polarizer facing in the right direction to the lens. One side may be a mess and reversed it may work great.

Allan Black September 20th, 2008 04:21 PM

Had some success with the Hoya Moose CP, adds a warm 81A keeping the blue in check. It's better for holiday type stuff when you've got time to set it up.

Hoya | 72mm (Moose) Warm Circular Polarizer Glass | B72CIRPLW

Cheers.

Dave Morrison September 20th, 2008 07:11 PM

I jusr received this B+W this week:
B+W | 77 mm Circular Polarizer Multi-Coated (MC) Slim | 66026598

and I've had NO problems with reflections...or anything. The multicoating really is effective on this filter and I can't imagine why you'd ever get any flares with this thing unless you layered it with other filters and pointed it into the Sun or very near the Sun.

George Strother September 20th, 2008 08:10 PM

Series 9 Schneider Tru Pol in Chroeziel matte box, first filter. Works perfectly, even at full wide. Mind the arrows though.

Paul Curtis September 21st, 2008 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Morrison (Post 940220)
I jusr received this B+W this week:
B+W | 77 mm Circular Polarizer Multi-Coated (MC) Slim | 66026598

and I've had NO problems with reflections...or anything. The multicoating really is effective on this filter and I can't imagine why you'd ever get any flares with this thing unless you layered it with other filters and pointed it into the Sun or very near the Sun.

That's what i'm using. For me, no end of problems on the EX1 although i'd used it for years previously on my dSLR with no issues. The pola is fine itself, just something about this combination.

Im sure the 4x4s are fine (indeed i've managed to get a 4x4 formatt instead although not had a chance to try it yet).

I think it is something specific about this circular type of filter but i don't know why this one. I feel that it must be something to do with light getting in somehow because in the past i'd been using the EX1 hood and that's quite shallow. I've a new bellows style hood now and so more tests are needed. The loss of constrast is like flashing and the spots are bright reflection points.

cheers
paul

Dave Morrison September 21st, 2008 06:31 PM

Paul, can you post some example footage. I'm not seeing these problems here but I haven't had it long enough or in enough lighting situations to speak intelligently. I've mostly been shooting cloud timelapse with it so fairly locked down and pointing away from the Sun.