Fuji Zoom control at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 20th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Fuji Zoom control

Well I have my EX1 and now I need to adapt my old but very usable Fuji zoom control to the EX1. Does someone make an adapter to go from the EX1 to the Fuji 8 pin connector? Does anyone have the pin outs? I assume it will work because I really can't see fuji putting digital controls on such an inexspensive lens. Any clues where I might find this info?

Thanks

Cheers
Robert C. Fisher
Robert C. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

This does, it's the Libec ZC-9EX zoom controller. The controller has a two part cable that has just a short adapter cable at the end that goes from canon or Fuji 8 pin to the Sony/Fuji lens port on the EX camera. Just pull off this adapter and you can use this controller for Broadcast lens. It also has a switch for Canon or Fuji. And for your problem, you would just use the short adapter part. I don't know if they just sell the 8pin to sony adpater part. Use it a while back when I had to put the EX-3 on a A-Jib just used the short adapter part to camera then pluged that into their Fuji controller on jib.

Libec | ZC-9EX Zoom Control PMW-EX1 | ZC-9EX | B&H Photo Video
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

How was that Libec zoom control?

Cheers
Robert C. Fisher
Old September 20th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The Libec is excellent. I have been using one on a professional fujinon lend for a few months now. It is excellent. I have also used the adaptor cable and that works fine.

Looking forward to using it with my new EX3... but that adaptor cable is not sold separately! So, I have to bu the specific EX3 unit... to get the adaptor.

Good product at a good price though.
Ben Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm fine with the controller...It's a little consumery but you can't beat the cost, sure I love to have a Micro Force. But this does the trick.
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 10:43 AM   #6
Major Player

You cannot just buy the adapter. I spoke to the technician at Libec USA. He informed me that their EX version contains new electronics, and that the adpater on an older version would not work. However, the new version will work with both EX's as well as Canon/Fujinon by removing the adapter.

The libec is pretty good. The older versions, reportedly, were simpler systems based on variable resistance. Because of the need to protect the circuit, the amount of resistance was not perfect and therefore it wouldn't perform the same as the zoom controller on the camera body. It was slower. It only ran at about 70% of the full rate possible.

Bebob Engineering has a remote with a zoom function that was designed with all of the appropriate electronics from the beginning. Theirs only needed an adapter cable to work with the EX cameras. Also, their controllers ran at 100% speed.

The Libec ZC-9EX version combined with an EX camera no longer has any speed problems. It also runs the zoom at 100%. Any though a little "consumer-ish" in look and feel, it is compact, it works, and it seems quite durable. I had the older version for two years and never had a problem. I recently sold it when I purchased my EX3 and after some consideration, I selected the Libec again. I'm happy with the purchase.
Old September 21st, 2008, 11:59 AM   #7
Regular Crew

So I am a bit confused, not an uncommon occurance, so each unit is specific to either the EX1 or the EX3. I can't have one for both cameras?

Cheers
Robert C. Fisher
Old September 21st, 2008, 01:05 PM   #8
Major Player

Sorry if there was confusion...

Libec's ZC-9Pro zoom controller predates the EX1 camera. This is the older contorller I was speaking of. I used it with my JVC HD100's and it worked great except for the slower zoom speed. The EX1 and EX3 do not work with the ZC-9Pro.

So, to support these cameras, Libec redesigned the controller with additional electronics and an adapter cord and it is the ZC-9EX. This newer part will work, with the adapter cable, on both EX1's and EX3's. Also, by removing the adapter cable, it works with other Canon/Fujinon lenses, selectable via a small switch on its side.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds