getting much sharper SD results from your HD footage - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 6th, 2008, 05:52 AM   #31
Major Player

Peter,

Never occured to me to use MPEG STREAMCLIP!! I'll try it out as I use it all the time to extract files from DVDs.

Thanks for the idea!
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 06:06 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kraft View Post
One of the best scalers I've ever used is included in MPEGStreamClip which is available both for Mac and Win here: Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows . Free :-)
Anyone actually tried this on Vista?

To open an m2t(v) file, MPEGStreamClip complains that my Quicktime MPEG-2 Playback Component is missing and advises to replace my current, official Quicktime support installation with some 1.81 Alternative...

Would like to try this workflow, but will all my other apps depending on the Quicktime components (like Vegas Pro) not suffer?
Old October 7th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #33
Major Player

Quicktime MPEG-2 Playback Component

Piotr, the Quicktime MPEG-2 Playback Component is an additional component to all others you have as it is an additional feature. Does not replace anything afaik. I do not understand quite well, however, why you want to scale down an m2t(v) file. I always scale down the original edit file and encode that to mpeg2. or did I miss something?

Best pe.
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #34
Major Player

I still don't see why you don't just edit your HD footage in an SD-sized sequence in an SD timeline, then export at SD. Alternatively, you could just edit in HD, export as Quicktime and smoosh that down in Compressor.

I have never seen those "muddy and soft looking" results that the article talks about.
Old October 7th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyko View Post
I still don't see why you don't just edit your HD footage in an SD-sized sequence in an SD timeline, then export at SD. Alternatively, you could just edit in HD, export as Quicktime and smoosh that down in Compressor.

I have never seen those "muddy and soft looking" results that the article talks about.
I Agree. I edit in HDV and drag the HD sequence into a new SD timeline. I get excellent results. Or I edit HDV in an SD timeline. The main thing is to downconvert in the timeline rather than make a Quicktime movie on export from HD to SD. That will give you bad results. Simple,.. just dont do it that way. I work mainly for TV broadcast. If I am burning to DVD I export to Compresser from the timeline via the SD choices and get amazing results.
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #36
Major Player

Mpeg Streamclip ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Frederick View Post
Peter,

Never occured to me to use MPEG STREAMCLIP!! I'll try it out as I use it all the time to extract files from DVDs.

Thanks for the idea!
I extract this way all the time and it works very well. You simply drag the VOB onto your desktop and open Streamclip and choice the VOB. It will repair linkage of the files and from there you can choose in and out points to make that segment a separate file or export the whole piece to another format. Works brilliantly!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds