Kata CRC-15 rain cover at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 23rd, 2008, 05:21 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Kata CRC-15 rain cover

Anybody using this?

Video bags camera bags Kata - Manufacturer of camera bags

Opinions welcome!
Old September 23rd, 2008, 05:27 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Piotr.
I've got one of those, haven't used it yet though, believe it or not, i've done 12 weddings in 15 weeks, some of them with outside ceremonies, and haven't had to use it yet.
Easy to get on and off the cam though, it's got drawstrings round the lens and eyepiece and velcro round the bottom opening so it will give a closed fit.
Sorry i can't help anymore, i can get the hosepipe out if you want and give the cam and cover a proper soaking, it'll be a proper "user review".

Paul.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 05:37 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi there
I've one of these for my Z1...

Its the third rain cover I've tried and the best... all the others were too tight with mics, radio receivers etc added to the camera. They were also very difficult to fit in a hurry. This one goes on fairly quickly and offers good rain protection. I have used it on several real downpours... I use it with a matte box and French flag to avoid rain on the lens.
Dislikes..
1) rustles as you try to move around
2) makes access to the buttons very hard and manual focus nigh on impossible.
3) You can't use the flip out screen, which I prefer, for framing.

But if you have no choice but to shoot in the rain it can save the day, and your camera..(these definitely don't like moisture)
Cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 09:39 AM   #4
Trustee

Have used a similar Kata model CRC 14 quite a lot with a Canon AX-A1 (I live in Scotland after all).

I've used it in torrential rain filming flooding, wind rain and spray at the seaside and also as a sand and dust cover on the beach in good weather. It's pretty good at keeping the moisture and dust out but as mentioned it makes some manual operations quite awkward.
I found it just possible to use the flip out viewfinder but it's easier not to.

It can heat up a lot in warm weather and if using an on camera mic under the cover the noise is deafening (as one might expect). Also the various velcro panels are useful options for different rigs but they do inevitably make loud raspberry sounds as you unzip them.

Last edited by Colin McDonald; September 23rd, 2008 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Different model
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:32 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi Piotr,
IMHO the best rain cover would be Petrol - Petrol Bags
New model PRC-EX1
Slava Kouznetsov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi there
As I said above I've had several covers for the Z1 including the Petrol... now I like Petrol bags, in fact my camera and audio bags are theirs... but the Z1 raincover was really fiddly and slow to put on the camera and made using the controls really hard.

The bit you pushed the flipped out screen into was not easily done, (I was always scared I'd damage the screen mount). And under the plastic was of only limited use in focus and framing.
So my vote would still go with the Kata...
But lets face it with these tiny cameras any cover on the controls is a liability in a shooting situation. They are to be used only in emergencies... but as I said if you have to shoot in the rain, they are really useful..and better than the bin liner and gaffer tape solutions.

cheers
Gareth
Old September 24th, 2008, 01:47 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Piotr

I have a Kata 15 rain cover. Have had to use it twice. It is very easy to fit and unlike a portabrace cover for my previous camera Sony DSR300 the fit around the lens is very good.

Watch out that the mic wrap (separate) drawstring does not hang in front of the lens.

Of course not easy to see the lcd through the cover when it is raining. Suggest switching the viewfinder on as well.
Greg Hawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 01:54 AM   #8
Major Player

I intended to get the Petrol cover for my EX1 but ended up getting the Kata. From the photos it appeared you couldn't use the Petrol if any wind/rain was coming straight at you because the front didn't wrap securely around the sunshade, there appears to be a large gap. It looks fine if you're in vertical rain or can keep the wind to your back and sides, but I plan on doing some winter backpacking trips to N. California's Lost Coast and it can get reeeeally windy and rain comes in from all angles. The Kata seems more protective and secure if shooting into the rain. But I don't have any real field experience with it yet, haven't had those conditions arise.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks guys for your input - I guess I'll go with the Kata.
Old September 24th, 2008, 03:06 AM   #10
Major Player

The best bit of the Kata is it gives you a bit more space inside.. I often have a radio receiver fitted and use a shoulder brace so the extra dimensions just make it easier to use.
The other covers were quite tight fits... the petrol for instance might have fitted ok with a stock Sony mic, but with a longer shotgun it was too small.

A couple of other things I have started to do in the rain is 1) use a matte box with French flag as a rain visor (helps greatly to avoid rain spots on the lens.. 2) using a lav radio mic on the talent and no on camera mic.. the noise of rain hitting the cover and ally flag just ruin the audio.

I also switch to using the view finder in the rain.. the larger rubber cup helps keep rain off my glasses... It all however has a habit of steaming up.. as your breathe condenses on the nylon of the cover and mists the viewfinder and my specs...

The joys of shooting in the rain..not!!!

cheers
Gareth
Old September 24th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Watkins View Post
The joys of shooting in the rain..not!!!

cheers
Gareth
I guess you guys have already realised this, but I have found having a small hand towel in the camera bag is very useful when shooting in the rain. No cover fits 100%, particularly round the lens and viewfinder and I can dry my hands before putting them inside the cover.

Nick
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 04:20 AM   #12
Inner Circle

good bit of advice there Nick. I always carry a chamois leather as it makes a great lens cloth even when wet and can also be used to wipe down wet gear. However make sure you wash it before using it as a lens cloth again.
Old September 25th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #13
Inner Circle

I use one of those covers and have been hit by wave spray that drenched everyone. But the camera stayed dry.

It also protected the camera from salt air during the five-day trip in which there was absolutely no other shelter for equipment.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds