DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Quick release plates (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/134582-quick-release-plates.html)

Buck Forester September 24th, 2008 09:06 AM

Quick release plates

I have the Sony EX1, a Miller Solo DV 20 tripod/fluid head, and a Glidecam 4000 Pro. I'd like to switch quickly between these things and having little experience with video gear, I'm not sure the best quick release mechanisms for my needs. I saw these two:

Bogen / Manfrotto 394 Rapid Connect 4 Quick Release Adapter
Bogen / Manfrotto | 394 Rapid Connect 4 Quick Release | 394

Bogen / Manfrotto 577 Quick Release Adapter Assembly
Bogen / Manfrotto | 577 Quick Release Adapter Assembly | 577

Is one preferable over the other? Or is there better solution than these? Will these work with a Microdolly jib too? Sorry for my ignorance, I know this is a pretty basic question. I just want to make sure I'm buying the right thing.

Thanks.

Gareth Watkins September 24th, 2008 09:53 AM

Hi Buck
The second of the two is the one I'd go for, in fact the one I use... (You'll need a couple of them... one for tripod and one for your Glidecam).

I have fitted it to the top of my tripod and on my Cavision shoulder brace.. this way it does just what you want it to do with your equipment making swapping over quick and easy.

It slides in and has a release button to stop it sliding out accidentally.. it then locks down tightly so you have no danger of the camera coming free.

This first item looks a bit more like a photo accessory or for a smaller video camera...

Just my two cents worth...
Gareth

Buck Forester September 24th, 2008 10:01 AM

Gracias, Gareth! I'll get a few of the second one. I appreciate the help.

Steve Shovlar September 24th, 2008 10:05 AM

Hi Buck, I use the 577 with all my gear. I go from a satchler to a Manfrotto 561B monopod and back again with ease using the 577. It's threaded so you attach a 1/4 inch or 5/8 plate to it easily enough.

Buck Forester September 24th, 2008 10:25 AM

Thanks Steve, I just ordered 4 of them. Do I need anything else? It mentions mounting to a plate, but is this assembly all I need or do I need to purchase some additional mounting plates? I'm not sure how these hook up. For my still photography it's simple, but this video is new to me and the attachments look different.

Jason Bodnar September 24th, 2008 12:05 PM

Buck, comes with everything you need, I got two myself.. Needed one for the Steadicam Pilot and an extra for a future mount.

David C. Williams September 24th, 2008 04:49 PM

The Manfrotto 394 would probably have been more useful on your Glidecam. It's fixed position and it has bubble levels. With the 577 it's a sliding plate arrangement, so unless you slide it to the exact same point within fractions of millimetres before you tighten it, your balance will change every time.

Buck Forester September 24th, 2008 08:24 PM

Hmmm... good point, David. For the dedicated one on my stabilizer, would just 'marking' the balance point with a line so I know where to accurate stop the slider each time suffice? I haven't even tried my Glidecam yet but I hear they're very touchy. I ordered four of the 577's, but I'd guess the 394 isn't compatible if I ordered one of those for my Glidecam too. Someone mentioned the 394's might not be substantial enough for the EX1? On my still camera I have a stationary quick release and I really like it.

David C. Williams September 24th, 2008 09:40 PM

Marking a point will work, but you'll still have to nudge it carefully to match the point. Half a millimetre makes a difference in pitch of your camera. You could try fixing a hard stop to the slide plate somehow, and balance it in that position.

How sensitive your Glidecam is to balance will depend on where you set the gimbal. Actually, I'm not sure you can move the gimbal on them? I use a Steadicam Flyer-LE with my EX3.

Dean Sensui September 25th, 2008 02:12 AM

I chose the 394 for the same reason as David: it repositions the camera precisely on a Glidecam. It allows for a quick switch between the Glidecam and a shoulder mount or tripod.

It also made it easier to mount the camera on a tripod when I was on a rolling boat. Trying to get a dovetail-slotted plate back onto the head of the tripod was tough! The 394 is more of a drop-and-click.

Buck Forester October 27th, 2008 12:05 PM

I ended up buying 4 sets of both to see what I like... by far for my uses I prefer the 394's over the 577's. The 394 is more like what I'm used to with my still camera... a simple click and you're in. It seems substantial enough. With my Glidecam stabilizer and my Microdollly jib the sliding access of the 577 is not practical or as precise. Plus the 394 has level bubbles. I'm returning the 577's. Thanks for the advice!

David A. Smith October 27th, 2008 08:46 PM

The fixed point attachment is great if your camera doesn't change. I seem to always be using a different mic or a filter combination or some other thing that would throw the balance off. That's when a sliding plate is mighty nice to have.

Regards,
David