What do you use to clean your lens? Lens Cleaning Tissue? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 26th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #16
Slash Rules!

Sometimes it seems to impossible to keep the lens clean, even if you put your cam back into its bag with lenscap on! Usually it's got little dusties on it whenever I take it out for a gig. I suppose I could wrap it in plastic and vacuum seal it after each use, but that sounds like a bit much.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #17
Major Player

I'm having a problem where I can get the lens and filter really clean using a solution (in this case Formula MC) and optical tissue and sometimes a microfiber cloth.

The problem I'm having is stubborn dust that just wants to stick to the lens or filter. Mostly to the protective filter, I'm using a B+W UV multi-coated filter, I think it's a good one.

So when I do shoots with a lot of backlight, or looking nearly into the sun or other bright light source, every little spec shows up as a lens flare or glare. Sometimes nice but I'd like a choice here.

If I use a tissue with some fluid, it will remove most of it, but then I have to polish off the fluid. And then sometimes the dust is back and I'm just smearing the 'magnetic' dust around on the filter. I think I have a bad case of 'static cling' :)

Any hints on this?
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #18
Major Player

The cleaning solution that works really really well for me is ROR

http://www.ror.net/

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 03:21 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I use a good quality soft chamois leather.
Old January 18th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #20
Trustee

I keep a UV filter on my lens, and clean this with a soft Selvit cloth (claimed to be better than Chamois Leather). This cloth can be purchased from any good Pro dealer and is as good as new when hand washed
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #21
Major Player

I use a big Giottos rocket to remove anything that can be blown off, and then a nikon lens pen to remove anything more stubborn.

I've tried various cloths and liquids in the past but the lens pen seems to do a good job. Anything that costs loads to replace such as the in cam lens or my nikkor 20-35 I clean once and then always use a filter. My other SLR lenses are pretty much as disposable as a good quality filter so I don't usually bother with filters those and just clean them whenever necessary.

Last edited by Paul Joy; January 19th, 2009 at 04:45 AM.
Paul Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #22
Trustee

A very soft makeup brush (no laughing) to get any dust off, then a soft micro fibre cloth and lens cleaning fluid from a pump spray bottle, can't remember the make.

Paul.
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Great thread.

Don't know if this is worth mentioning but I was told by a Camera dealer in Tokyo first blow any particles off the lens, then spray cleaning fluid in the centre of the lens, apply lens cleaning paper to the spot and working in a circular motion spiral out to the edges.
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #24
Major Player

What are peoples thoughts on isopropyl alcohol?

I've used it a couple times on my UV filter and its amazing.. its yet to touch my lens though. In fact the only thing thats touched my Ex1s lens is a bulb blower. I also dont think i'll use it on a polar again.. managed to get a couple of small spots on that.. guess thats why filters in front of your lens are a good thing.

Im using Kimwipe tissues and have had no issues with them. Also am using KenAir which leaves no residue as long as you use it the right way up. Great for getting rid of any excess dust between the lens and the filter when screwing a new one on. I also dont hold the compressed air any closer than about 300mm to the lens surface.

I've ACd on 2 dramas, 1 shooting 35 and the other with hpx3000s and both times every AC had to have KenAir on them and it was used on the lenses a lot.

Currently in the market for a new lens cloth however, a chamois leather one sounds like the way to go.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #25
Major Player

I use a Giottos Rocket Air Blower (the small one). I think I'm going to upgrade to a larger size this year although this one does a heckuva lot better than my last one.

When I got rain on my lens I did use a micro fibre cloth that I bought from Ritz Camera. Hot breath + micro fibre is the only way I do it. I may try some of the other solutions mentoned here but so far my glass is fine and no coatings are messed up.

WINDEX IS A NO NO!!! And "lens cleaning liquid" is probably just as bad. HOT BREATH WILL DO YOU FINE!!
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #26
Major Player

I just use a blow brush and a lens cloth as and when required. I keep the lens cap on at all times except when actually filming to reduce the gunk getting on the lens in the first place! The lens cap or rather shutter on the EX-3 is so easy to keep closed!

Mind you, I should see if I can squeeze a UV filter on the front of it as that would help and still shut the cover - anyone done this on the EX-3?
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #27
Regular Crew

i'm using sandpaper, gives a nice old scratchy look
Jurgen Taghon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #28
Major Player

Seems sandpaper might still leave dust unless followed up with some other cleanup method. :)

Joking aside, Dust: It's still my problem, the statically attracted dust that seems to want to adhere to my protective filter (more so than the actual lens surface).

Are there any techniques or fluids that would neutralize what I believe is a static charge which makes this dust clingy?

I have the large Rocket blower, just blows more magnetic dust onto random areas of the filter, as well as high powered canned air, a little better but still some specs. I have good lens cleaner, good tissue, good chamois and good brushes. They all do well, but still leave a bit of the dust there. Do I need to do all my shooting inside a hermetically controlled clean room and wear a special suit to get the dust of my filter? I wouldn't be so obsessed except that this really shows up when aiming at a strong light source.

Again, I like this thread, keep the suggestions coming!
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Inglis View Post
I should see if I can squeeze a UV filter on the front of it as that would help and still shut the cover - anyone done this on the EX-3?
I use a Hoya 77mm UV filter and leave it on my EX3 all the time. The lens hood still fits and other features work OK.
Old January 19th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #30
Regular Crew

For years I have used my breath and Kodak lens tissue - gently starting in the center and wiping in circles outwards to the edge. I never press hard - especially in the center where scratches could be more noticable. For stuborn smudges I use Rosco lens cleaning solution with tissue. Always use a UV or clear filter. Some high end 'multi coated' or 'harder' glass filters say they clean easier.

I just started using a Lenspen. I like the soft brush. Not sure about the felt wipe - it seems to leave a small residue behind. Good for a quick spot/dust remover for run and gun I guess.

Also, just got the Giotto rocket blower - medium - and it works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Inglis View Post
Mind you, I should see if I can squeeze a UV filter on the front of it as that would help and still shut the cover - anyone done this on the EX-3?
I use a B&M UV MRC filter and it does fit under the EX1 lens hood. I also just got the B&M Circular Polarizer MRC KSM "Slim" and amazingly it fits under the hood too - just can't rotate it with hood on. These are both 5mm I believe.
Kevin Cates is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds