DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1 + Letus Ultimate - Detail "on" or "off"? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/134781-ex1-letus-ultimate-detail-off.html)

Gerald Loidl September 26th, 2008 08:59 AM

EX1 + Letus Ultimate - Detail "on" or "off"?

Hi,
those of you shooting with an EX1/EX3 and the Ultimate adapter - do you have detail set on or off on your camera?
I used to use detail off for shooting without adapter but I´m wondering if I should turn it on for adapter work?

All thoughts are appreciated!

Piotr Wozniacki September 26th, 2008 09:26 AM

The 35mm adapter itself will inevitably soften the image a bit, therefore I am shooting with Detail ON when using the Letus (with Canon FD lenses, which are not the sharpest, either).

Benjamin Eckstein September 26th, 2008 11:14 AM

I do detail on when using an adapter at around -7 or -10. The adapter softens the image and I think it pops more and is much easier to focus with the detail.

Gerald Loidl September 27th, 2008 05:18 AM

Thanks for your tips!
Benjamin, why are you using a negative value for the detail setting as it will soften the image even a little more?

thanks!
Gerald

Bill Ravens September 27th, 2008 05:34 AM

Actually, a negative value of -40(I think) represents zero softening. So, anything greater than -40 applies some sharpening.

Benjamin Eckstein September 27th, 2008 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ravens (Post 943797)
Actually, a negative value of -40(I think) represents zero softening. So, anything greater than -40 applies some sharpening.

yep, exactly.

Piotr Wozniacki September 27th, 2008 07:51 AM

I think it's also worth to remember, that the 35mm adapters have all been designed with this illusive "film bokeh" in mind. It means all video-ish sharpening (have you ever seen edge enhancement in a cinema theater?) is supposed to be eliminated.

Sometimes the achromat and GG's imperfections accumulate, and the effect is a bit overdone - hence some neutral detail setting on the camera is appropriate (I guess Detail off, or ON but in negative territory, is just what is needed).

Gerald Loidl September 27th, 2008 09:58 AM

Thank you gentlemen for this great explanation. It was absolutely new to me that -40 represents zero softening. Time to set up my Letus Ultimate PP-Profile accordingly, as I always thought it looked a tad too soft with detail off.

thanks!
Gerald

Michael Maier September 30th, 2008 10:28 AM

For me definitely detail OFF. Any amount of detail looks just plain bad and digitally enhanced. In tests transferred to 35mm and projected the detail ON is right there on your face. Detail off if you want a filmic feel. The Letus Extreme doesn't really make the image softer. Just shoot a rez chart and see. The softening is minimal.

Andrew Hollister September 30th, 2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ravens (Post 943797)

is this like some sort of Fahrenheit/Celsius thing? (-32 = 0)