EX1 + Letus Ultimate - Detail "on" or "off"? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 26th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 + Letus Ultimate - Detail "on" or "off"?

Hi,
those of you shooting with an EX1/EX3 and the Ultimate adapter - do you have detail set on or off on your camera?
I used to use detail off for shooting without adapter but I´m wondering if I should turn it on for adapter work?

All thoughts are appreciated!
Gerald Loidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The 35mm adapter itself will inevitably soften the image a bit, therefore I am shooting with Detail ON when using the Letus (with Canon FD lenses, which are not the sharpest, either).
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #3
Major Player

I do detail on when using an adapter at around -7 or -10. The adapter softens the image and I think it pops more and is much easier to focus with the detail.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 05:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for your tips!
Benjamin, why are you using a negative value for the detail setting as it will soften the image even a little more?

thanks!
Gerald
Old September 27th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #5

Actually, a negative value of -40(I think) represents zero softening. So, anything greater than -40 applies some sharpening.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
Actually, a negative value of -40(I think) represents zero softening. So, anything greater than -40 applies some sharpening.
yep, exactly.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I think it's also worth to remember, that the 35mm adapters have all been designed with this illusive "film bokeh" in mind. It means all video-ish sharpening (have you ever seen edge enhancement in a cinema theater?) is supposed to be eliminated.

Sometimes the achromat and GG's imperfections accumulate, and the effect is a bit overdone - hence some neutral detail setting on the camera is appropriate (I guess Detail off, or ON but in negative territory, is just what is needed).
Old September 27th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thank you gentlemen for this great explanation. It was absolutely new to me that -40 represents zero softening. Time to set up my Letus Ultimate PP-Profile accordingly, as I always thought it looked a tad too soft with detail off.

thanks!
Gerald
Old September 30th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #9
Trustee

For me definitely detail OFF. Any amount of detail looks just plain bad and digitally enhanced. In tests transferred to 35mm and projected the detail ON is right there on your face. Detail off if you want a filmic feel. The Letus Extreme doesn't really make the image softer. Just shoot a rez chart and see. The softening is minimal.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
is this like some sort of Fahrenheit/Celsius thing? (-32 = 0)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds