Rain protection for the EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 27th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #1
Major Player

Rain protection for the EX3

Coming from a Canon XL2, the EX3 feels somewhat familiar. As many have noticed, the EX3 looks like it is the bastard child of a Canon XL series and a Sony EX1. I wanted to get a rain coat for my EX3 as I had one for my XL2 and it has come in handy a few times. I thought that given the similarities in shape that the XL2 rain cover I had might fit, and it does. Well it does with some caveats.

I have a Kata CRC-11 and it is now mentioned on their website as a fit for the EX3. Where it fits with some slack on the XL2, it is a bit tight in spots on the EX3 but it does fit. It even just works with the shoulder brace extended and the eyepiece extended full left. I need the eyepiece fully left for my dominant left eye use. Access to the SxS slots is not possible with it sealed up, and the PHU-60K has nowhere to fit with this rain coat. The XL2 microphone(s) sock is in the right place for the mic holder and a short shotgun on the EX3 but the on board mics on the EX3 are completely covered.

For the occasional use I have for a rain coat I believe that this is good enough. If more room for accessories is needed then the RC-10 would be the one to get.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 03:30 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Les,

after reading your post I took the camera, the recently bought CRC-11 and put all things (PHU-60K) toghether. It's not that bad. You can't close the velcro at all but it's still an acceptable protection against rain. The only modification I made was to widen the opening for the viewfinder because the rubber band was too tight.

Markus
Old September 28th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #3
Major Player

good to know.. I have something far more dangerous to protect the camera from. Sand! I mostly video ATV sand drags. I've killed cameras that use tapes already. I will probably do something like seal it up with masking tape, something that doesn't leave a residue.
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I think the embedded did so in Iraq to protect their cams. But maybe it's worth to try ewamarine products. I use a bag for my photocam and it works.

Markus

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds