EX1 with Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 28th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 with Final Cut Pro 6.0.2

For those who have the XDCAM-EX1, choose the 1080p30HQ for clip format (1920x1080) and use FCP6.0.2 for montage, what is the best setting they found in FCP to preserve the quality of the clip at 1920x1080?
Myself, when importing my clips in FCP, the Sequence settings give me a choice in picture size with the highest being 1440x1080 and does not propose 1920x1080, even if the FCP settings let me to choose the XDCAM-EX environment.
Your advice is most welcomed.
Francois Dormoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

There should be a preset for XDCAM EX 30P 35Mb/s (HQ) which is 1920 x 1080. I use this preset but with the render option in the timeline set to ProRes HQ for most projects.
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Well, it is true that when I choose the preset you said, which is 1080p30VBR and I importe a clip, I also make sure that the sequence settings adapt to the clip setting since it is of the highest resolution.
So what I have in the Sequence settings is a image size of 1920x1080 BUT is says that it is HDTC 1080i (16:9), which means that FCP convert this 1080p clip into 1080i.
I would herefore conclude that FCP6 does not work with 1080 progressive bu the best it works with is 1080 interlaced.
Can you confirm this ?
Francois Dormoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The setting is called HDTV 1080i, but if you set the field dominance to none, your sequence will be progressive. That's the setting I've been using for months, and the results are amazing.
Old September 30th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #5
Major Player

Understanding The Terms

If you indeed have a FCP 6.0.2 properly installed then all of the settings are there. When you use "Easy Setup" take a read in the description and you will clearly see the "Sequence settings."

VBR (Variable Bit Rate) = EX1/3 HQ (High Quality rate) = 35MB/s or XDCAM @ 1920x1080

CBR (Constant Bit Rate) = EX1/3 SQ (Standard Quality rate) = 25MB/s or HDV @ 1440x1080

Then as Alister has pointed out set you Sequence to render in ProRes to minimize conforming times and maintain the best possible quality for editing and effects.

You also will want to use Software Update because FCP is now at 6.0.4. Sony's XDCAM Transfer utility which also works inside of FCP is now at 2.7.1.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #6
New Boot

EX1 with Final Cut Pro 6.0.2

I am having the same problem as Francois. Can't seem to find the 1920 x 1080 setting in FCP. So all my footage is converted to 1440X1080. It still looks great but I would rather keep it in the original format. [See Diana Scalera on Vimeo for a look]

In addition, over some footage I get a faint green line where render status is indicated. This footage gets fuzzy expect if I put a title or some other effect over it. When I render the footage with effect, the fuzziness clears up. I try selecting the footage and rendering it but the render dialogue box does not come up and there is no change in the fuzziness. What is this green line? How can I correct this? How do I avoid it? I am also using FCP 6.0.2.

Thanks Francios for asking this question.

Diana Scalera
Diana Scalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
There should be a preset for XDCAM EX 30P 35Mb/s (HQ) which is 1920 x 1080. I use this preset but with the render option in the timeline set to ProRes HQ for most projects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post

Then as Alister has pointed out set you Sequence to render in ProRes to minimize conforming times and maintain the best possible quality for editing and effects.

Is this the best possible quality you can get out of XDCAM EX from FCP?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier View Post
Is this the best possible quality you can get out of XDCAM EX from FCP?
I do not have the issues mentioned above, FCP 6.0.4, XDCAM Transfer 2.7.1, Leopard 10.5.5, MacPro 3.2 Octo, 16MB Ram. Set up your FCP import and sequence settings properly and all clips are crystal clear, as good as they come out of the EX1/3 BPAV folder.

Considering that the XDCAM EX is 8-Bit/MPEG-2, 35MB/s 4:2:0 and ProRes is 10-Bit 4:2:2
I'd say yes and nearly transparent all the way to the Blu-ray discs that I transcode to 35Mb/s in Adobe Encore.

If your expecting more than use the SDI port on the EX1/3 and capture at 10-Bit Uncompressed to your heart's desire. Cheers!
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post

If your expecting more than use the SDI port on the EX1/3 and capture at 10-Bit Uncompressed to your heart's desire. Cheers!
I wish I could shoot every project that way :)
Michael Maier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds