Remote Lens Control Search Driving me Nuts! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 2nd, 2008, 11:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Remote Lens Control Search Driving me Nuts!

I've got a beautiful reliable remote lens controller that drives my Fujinon lens on my BetaCam. 8-pin config, same amount as my EX3 but differently configured. I don't want to spend $300+ on a new zoom controller that doesn't have half the battle scars as mine. Does anyone know of a cabled solution. The closest I've got is Libec-Libec Sales of America. They sell a controller that works with the EX's and works with older Fuji or Canon lens. It has a pigtail adapter that changes the pin config to match the EX's. I spoke to their tech about just using the pigtail adapter to retrofit my zoom controller but he said it won't work, the lens will creep. I hate wasting a good controller, anybody out there have any thoughts?

Mahalo,
Tony
Tony LeHoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 12:28 PM   #2
Major Player

I spoke to the tech about the same thing a few months ago. All I was trying to do was upgrade the old libec controller. In the end, I sold my controller on eBay and bought the new one.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 01:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply, Ted. My old controller works great on 8 pin Fuji & Canon lenses. It has a speed control so you can slow it way, way down and still use the full range of the large rocker. Good for zooming on photos you can't scan. As incredible as it seems, the only solution to be able to use that industry standard controller is to have an EX-3 and a new lens! I wish Sony had mentioned that the 8 pin remote lens socket was proprietary!
-Tony
Old October 2nd, 2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Major Player

you might look at the bebob controller - theirs works with the EX series as well.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 01:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks again Ted. The point of my email is to try to find a way to adapt a superior lens controller. That's the source of my frustration. I can't believe that there are so many people out there willing to chuck their old gear away. There's the Bebob, Libec and Manfrotto, all probably decent controllers but I'm not looking to buy a new car, just want to change the tires.

I think there will be a bigger demand when folks realize you can't zoom, focus and iris the EX's all at once with one hand while on a tripod.

-Tony
Old October 2nd, 2008, 01:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Tony,

I'm not sure that the EX lens remote will control anything more than zoom and REC/REC Review. If it can handle more than that, than I want a new controller!

Thinking through things further, I wonder if the tech was correct. The reason that the adapter wouldn't work for my Libec is that they'd used essentially a rheostat for the zoom and it wasn't the "best" way to go. On their EX version, they upgraded the electronics to do the job correctly.

Maybe the tech does know what he's talking about, but it sure does make one want to test it! Tell you what -- for a plane ticket to Hawaii, I'll bring my cable and we can test.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 02:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Correct operation is a matter of opinion. The best controller I have used in the 35 years working as an operator, not including the MicroForce, is the fuji. No electronics just a run switch and the reostat for zoom in and out. Works great and I can do slow zooms that only the MicroForce can do. The fast end I don't really care about so much but slow and responsive are what I'm after. Most on camera "rockers" have dead spots at either end of the range and most off camera controls are ergonmic hell. Even most over $25k lenses have medocre controls. I might try the Lebec when I get the chance but that may be a while.

cheers
Robert C. Fisher
Robert C. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony LeHoven View Post
I think there will be a bigger demand when folks realize you can't zoom, focus and iris the EX's all at once with one hand while on a tripod.

-Tony
Sorry, my quote may be confusing. What I mean to say is that when you are shooting with the EX series cameras on sticks, a lot of operators like to use the tripod handle to guide the camera. The left hand works all the essential camera controls: iris, focus, and zoom. With both the EXs' it is extremely difficult to do with just the left hand. Hence the need for a remote lens zoom. Now your right hand zooms the camera and your left hand works the iris and focus.

Please remember, my topic is dealing with the old style 8 pin lens controllers. I'm not excited about buying a new one, my old one works great. If you remove the Libec cable adapter from their EX controller, it will control the older style 8 pin controller. it just doesn't work the other way around.

Another problem is that my Jimmy Jib lens remote is the standard 8 pin config. If I get the Libec, now I have three separate controllers to operate but only 2 hands!

Thanks,
Tony
Tony LeHoven is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds