DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   who wants Canon (or other mounts) DSLR glass (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/135128-who-wants-canon-other-mounts-dslr-glass.html)

Wes Thomas Greene October 2nd, 2008 07:04 PM

mounts?? who wants Canon (or other mounts) DSLR glass

Who would be interested in a Birger style mount for their EX3???

Speak up now.

The Canon style Birger mount see here on a REd camera
Inside look at the BIRGER 35mm Canon mount for RED ONE |

It allows electronic control over iris and focus over your DSLR lenses. The Canon version for Red cameras is now shipping and it wouldn't take too much work to produce a version for the Sony EX3.
What would be needed though is market interest to make it worth Birger's time and effort, so please post if this is a product you'd like to see.

Cheaper than any 35 mill adapters, better quality images, less bulk and more control and options.
Nikon and other mounts coming soon.

PS - I'm in no way affliated with Birger - I just want one for my camera!

Zsolt Gordos October 3rd, 2008 12:51 AM

This would be great for EX3 - how much do they sell it for the RED?

If they price would be not exuberant I would definitely buy one (heh, my EX3 is shipping at the moment and I am already into a next big spending...)

Mick Wilcomes October 3rd, 2008 12:57 AM

...Wes, you are Soooo Right.

Whe you're right you know you're right and Wes my man you are RIGHT!
i am OFFICIALLY casting my vote for this to happen!
Please ! please make it so!

Giroud Francois October 3rd, 2008 01:06 AM

it could be great to have this with a mini35 adapter, but due to the size of the EX3 sensor, using 35mm lens is pretty limited.

Oyvind Stokkan October 3rd, 2008 02:04 AM

yeah. this would be great

Wes Thomas Greene October 3rd, 2008 05:09 AM

more info

The Birger mount for the Red runs about US$1,500 so I imagine it would price the same for an EX3.

Not sure why you would run this with a mini35 - doesn't make sense?

It would be great to see this happen and it could happen quickly if the interest is there.

thanks for your replies

cheers
wes

Giroud Francois October 3rd, 2008 06:41 AM

du to the size of the EX1/3 sensor, putting a 35mm (even if digital) lens will give a totally different lens.
if the ratio between the 35mm et the sensor of the EX3 is 3, you will have to multiply the specification of the lens by this factor.
so your 28mm wide angle will become a (3x28) 84mm telephoto lens.
i do not know the ration between the 1/2" sensor of the EX3 and the regular 35mm film, but it must be around 2.5

Alexander Kubalsky October 3rd, 2008 07:03 AM

Giroud is right. This adapter works well on the red because it has a 35mm size sensor.
35mm lenses need a 35mm image plain to get the lenses full frame and full 35mm depth of field.
I guess an adapter would be good for Canon and Nikon telephoto lenses though.

Wes Thomas Greene October 3rd, 2008 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander Kubalsky (Post 946350)
Giroud is right. This adapter works well on the red because it has a 35mm size sensor.
35mm lenses need a 35mm image plain to get the lenses full frame and full 35mm depth of field.
I guess an adapter would be good for Canon and Nikon telephoto lenses though.

yup certainly understand that

would like to see my Canon 70-200mm on the EX3!

Ofer Levy October 3rd, 2008 09:06 AM

Mike Tapa has just finished producing the first batch of adapters for Nikon SLR lenses and I hope to get mine early next week.
I need it for wildlife work so I am very happy with the x5 crop factor. I use a similar adpapter made by Mike Tapa for my Sony VHR Z7 and I am very happy with the results.

No automatic control but I never use automatic control anyhow and it is MUCH cheaper than 1500US !
MTF Services Ltd

Cheers,
Ofer Levy Nature Photographer

Zsolt Gordos October 3rd, 2008 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ofer Levy (Post 946410)
Mike Tapa has just finished producing the first batch of adapters for Nikon SLR lenses and I hope to get mine early next week.

Hi Ofer, does he have anything against Canon lenses for producing only Nikon mounts? :(

Or do you have any info of his plans about the same thing for Canon 35mm lenses?
I think Canon sells more lenses today than Nikon and actually this is how they took over the still market. Surely it would make sense to develop one for Canon.

If there wont be any Canon adapter soon in the plans, I will order a Nikon mount to use as sample and get the Canon version done myself through some precision CNC guys I know - so he has to be in a hurry :)

Ray Bell October 3rd, 2008 11:59 AM

The difference between Nikon and the Canon EOS lenses is that the Nikon lens you can
manually control the iris... the Canon EOS lens requires power for the iris to be manipulated.

So, this is why the Birger mount is so cool... you can manually adjust the lens or use it
in Auto mode...

Zsolt Gordos October 3rd, 2008 12:27 PM

Ah.... thanks Ray, I have learned something new today! So when do you think that device will be ready to ship?

Ofer Levy October 3rd, 2008 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Bell (Post 946494)
The difference between Nikon and the Canon EOS lenses is that the Nikon lens you can
manually control the iris... the Canon EOS lens requires power for the iris to be manipulated.

So, this is why the Birger mount is so cool... you can manually adjust the lens or use it
in Auto mode...

To be honest, I don't think the automatic control is any good for wildlife filmaking. I never even use it for stills photography (I do use the AF of course).

Ofer Levy Nature Photographer

Jason Davenport October 4th, 2008 05:33 PM

Here's one for Nikon to EX.
MTF Services Ltd