Mixing 24P and 30P at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 4th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mixing 24P and 30P

Hey Everyone

I have a project that will require mixing EX 24P and 30P footage.....don't ask....

I'll be editing in FCP with final output going to DVD and the web. What is my best recourse here. Thanks for all input.

I posted this here since I know most XDCAM shooters edit in Final Cut.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
Mick Haensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #2
Better than Halle Berry

Sadly 30p and 24p do not mix well at all- which is why I'm a huge non-fan of 30p. You have two basic options- fit the 24p onto a 30p timeline or fit the 30p onto a 24p timeline. Some pros and cons-

24p on a 30p timeline
Pros
Visually will look better- 24p just needs to have it's pulldown added and will fit on a 30p timeline well.
Much easier, less rendering required.

Cons
Lose native 24p edit
Cannot make native 24p DVD or go out to film without complex conversions down the road
20% more render and storage time required for effects due to more frames per second

30p on a 24p timeline
Pros
Preserve native 24p footage and timeline
Can make a 24p DVD and/or output easily to film
Cons
30p is extremely difficult to convert to 24p without artifacting and requires considerable render power to make into 24p.

Bottom line is there is no easy solution here and I point all this out in the hopes that someone else reading this will avoid the situation entirely by sticking with one or the other for their entire production. Sorry. :)

-Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #3
Better than Halle Berry

Ps- here is a plugin that can help- if you choose to go one way or the other:

Nattress: Standards Conversion FAQ

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Noah. What is the advantage of using the plug in vs. letting Final Cut handle things?

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
Mick Haensler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds