DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   first shoot with EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/135248-first-shoot-ex1.html)

Scott Hayes October 4th, 2008 09:02 PM

first shoot with EX1

well, today was my first venture out with the EX1. I love it! I shot a wedding with it
today, and everything ran very smoothly, dumping cards as I went, even though I didn't have to. This beast definitely needs 2 B-U60s. Now for the crappy part, I had no problem
transferring the Lexar SSD cards in the field, they worked great. My SxS, well, they didnt.
i had to push them in further to the ExpressCard slot to get them to wok. I got one,
I am at home, and now NONE of my cards will mount in my MBP. I am sick. Now I have to send this notebook in for repair as nothing will mount in it.

Picture quality is absolutely astounding!

Ross Herewini October 7th, 2008 02:54 AM

Hi Scott,

Are you able to read the cards from the camera, and transfer by USB?

That's strange about the Lexars, I've used them and mixed them with SxS, and no problems loading onto the Dell.

Please post the result of your fix / repair as one of my shooters uses a MBP to download in the field and I just advised him to buy a Lexar. Oops!

Paul Kellett October 7th, 2008 03:57 AM

Strange, if you had to push the lexars in further to get them to work, this implies that they're physically different, so in theory you'd have to push them into the camera further as well.

Paul.

Scott Hayes October 7th, 2008 04:11 AM

Lexars Work Fine, Not The Sxs Cards

the Lexars work fine, it is the Sony cards that are the problem. It may be the ExpressCard
cage in my MBP. the first gens have an issue apple knows about and the cage has
been redesigned. It is a cheap part, but a pain to take the computer apart.

and no, i tried connecting the camera via firewire, but all you can do is capture from the cards like tape, it doesnt show up as a device, which sucks.

Nick Wilson October 7th, 2008 04:31 AM

If you connect to the EX1 by firewire, it just acts as an HDV camera. You need to connect using USB and then the two SxS slots will appear as removable drives on your computer. You can then copy the BPAV folder or open it in Clip Browser.

Cheers, Nick

Scott Hayes October 7th, 2008 05:36 AM

sweet! I never even bothered looking for the usb port.

Serena Steuart October 7th, 2008 06:01 AM

My ASUS laptop was a bit tricky when I first tried the SxS cards and I had difficulty getting them in far enough. But it was just a matter of acquiring the knack. On the USB matter, I guess that's a prompt to read the manual!

Pietro Impagliazzo October 7th, 2008 04:16 PM

So you can just use a Lexar SXS card to record?

Like this one:

Lexar | 16GB ExpressCard SSD | EX16GB-431 | B&H Photo Video

?

Scott Hayes October 7th, 2008 04:17 PM

Yes, that one won't work, it is too slow. The 8gb SSD card works fine in SP mode ONLY. I suggest reading the thread below this one entitled which cards work in the EX1/EX3