Checking Archieve footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 6th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #1
Major Player

Checking Archieve footage

Watching the Vortex media EX1 DVD it shows that you can transfer BVAP files using the Mac finder.
I have heard everywhere else to use the Clip Browser for this function.
I have transfered files and have checked that they are the same as the original BVAP on the S X S card.
How do you open the archieve files (both DL DVD backups and HD backups)?
Do these files have to be transferred back to the s x s card and then used on XDCam transfer?
The xdcam transfer program for getting files into FCP works well.
Bob Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Trustee

Use VLC player to look and play the files.
Files go into a box, a box can be anything such as a dvd, a hard-drive, a usb key, whatever, they're just places to store files.

Paul.
Old October 6th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Major Player

Yes i have used VLC to look at the files, but what do i do with the archieved BVAP files afterwards.
Maybe i need go back into the BVAp for some reason, do i have to transfer them back to the s x s card and then use XDCAM transfer?
I have used both Clip browser v2.0 and Xdcam transfer v 2.51 and both of them can't open up from HD archieve or DVD DL archieve.
Old October 6th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

ClipBrowser2 certainly can open archived BPAV.

Either you're doing something wrong or your archives are corrupted.

Use ClipBrowser2 to copy from SXS because it does CRC checking. Copying from SXS in Finder, while faster, is riskier. Archive and riskier are two words that should NEVER MEET.

The BPAV must be in a parent folder for ClipBrowser2 to see them.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
ClipBrowser2 certainly can open archived BPAV.

The BPAV must be in a parent folder for ClipBrowser2 to see them.
Maybe the parent folder or its name is wrong.
I was surprised that the Vortex media dvd mentioned copying to the HD via the finder.
Old October 6th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The DVD was made in the very early days of the EX1. ClipBrowser1 didn't have CRC checking. ClipBrowser2 is much better at doing copies without issues or "user" error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jackson View Post
Maybe the parent folder or its name is wrong.
I was surprised that the Vortex media dvd mentioned copying to the HD via the finder.
Old October 7th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #7
Inner Circle

There should not be a problem using Finder or Explorer (windows) to copy BPAV folders. You must always copy the entire folder and the folder cannot be re-named, it should always be called BPAV. To open a BPAV folder with the clip browser or XDCAM transfer tool you must navigate to the folder that contains the BPAV folder, or the drive root if the BPAV folder is not within another folder, don't try to open the BPAV folder itself. It won't work. There is no need to copy the folder back to an SxS card.
Old October 7th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Launch XDCAM Transfer, go to FILE, add Source, navigate to the archived material, and add these file to the source for viewing and transferring.

Kevin Jones
Kevin Wayne Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Doug Jensen of VortexMedia (maker and host of the EX DVD we're talking about) looked at this thread and asked me to relay this message.

"Bob Jackson should to go back and take a look at my DVD again, because I NEVER told anyone to move BPAV files with the Finder. I said it COULD be done that way, but DO NOT DO IT. I emphatically said, NOT to do it that way. I have always used the Clip Browser from day #1 to move/edit/modify BPAV folders and native clips. Also, Clip Browser will read a BPAV folder anywhere it finds one - it does not have to be on an SxS card."
--Doug Jensen
Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training
Old October 8th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Doug Jensen of VortexMedia (maker and host of the EX DVD we're talking about) looked at this thread and asked me to relay this message.

"Bob Jackson should to go back and take a look at my DVD again, because I NEVER told anyone to move BPAV files with the Finder. I said it COULD be done that way, but DO NOT DO IT. I emphatically said, NOT to do it that way. I have always used the Clip Browser from day #1 to move/edit/modify BPAV folders and native clips. Also, Clip Browser will read a BPAV folder anywhere it finds one - it does not have to be on an SxS card."
--Doug Jensen
Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training
Thanks Doug & Craig.
It seems that my folder structure is the problem.
The videos are all there using a VLC viewer.
Using a Macbook for clipbrowser.
Using a Powerbook G4 for XDCam transfer/editing until i get a MBP.

BTW Doug your EX1 videos are what finally sold me on the camera. Every owner should own this video.
Bob Jackson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds