New strange image problem with my EX1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 7th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #16
Regular Crew

You are not the only one!!!

I have the same problem, brand new EX1, I only used it twice before I got the firmware upgrade, then my next shoot this happens 3-4 times.

Have a look:
Sony EX1 Problems, please help! on Vimeo

It is NOT caused by the following:

- artificial light such LEDs, fluorescents or anything else, it was shot in only outdoor light.

- I did not mess the with shutter or any flicker reduction settings.

- It goes away on it's own as you can see at the end of the footage. It happened for about 20 seconds during a 35 minute interview as well when the camera wasn't moving and was in the same spot, light and settings.

I took it to Sony, they gave it back to me today and said there was nothing wrong with it.

Looks like they were wrong.

I hate intermittent problems!!!
Jesse Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 04:09 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Like I said, turn flicker reduction completely off. It's on by default, and will cause this.
Jon Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 04:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Woo View Post
May I know when you execute the "All Rest" button, will all the settings return to factory default? And will the profile setting be gone too?
Serena has answered the question. However, this is why you need to save and back-up your camera's settings. In the event of a All Reset, you simply re-install the settings file and you're ready to go!
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Is the flicker reduction turned off? Depending on your region settings flicker reduction can cause flicker!
Of course Alister, you were right. Flicker reduction was set to ON. After turning it off the problem is gone!

I file like an idiot sounding of the alarm when I could have read the manual a third time...

Anyway - thank you everybody for your help on this issue. Hopefully this is a thread that will help others like me in the future!
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #20

Here is the answer I received from Alpha Cine (where I bought the EX3) in regards to this rolling flutter issue:

"My service guru tells me this is a problem that gets fixed at Sony. You should bring your camera in for my service guys to take a look at it and they will either give you a new camera or send it off to sony for a fix. Supposedly it's a bug where the shutter or the fake electronic frame divider is off."

The only problem is they are in New York and I'm in Miami.
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell View Post
Here is the answer I received from Alpha Cine (where I bought the EX3) in regards to this rolling flutter issue:

"My service guru tells me this is a problem that gets fixed at Sony. You should bring your camera in for my service guys to take a look at it and they will either give you a new camera or send it off to sony for a fix. Supposedly it's a bug where the shutter or the fake electronic frame divider is off."

The only problem is they are in New York and I'm in Miami.
LOL..
There is no problem.
Just turn OFF flicker reduction.

You can prove it yourself by turning it ON verses OFF.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
LOL..
There is no problem.
Just turn OFF flicker reduction.

You can prove it yourself by turning it ON verses OFF.
So does this mean that Flicker reduction is not supposed to give this effect? Is it something that can be fixed? Or does Jay have a different problem?
Old October 8th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson View Post
So does this mean that Flicker reduction is not supposed to give this effect? Is it something that can be fixed? Or does Jay have a different problem?
Ola, I think from everything we've seen and read the past couple of days that we had the same problem. It also appears that it was simply a matter of turn off the Flicker Reduction. Why? I can't tell you, because I simply don't know. I didn't even realize it was on!

If the problem returns, we'll know it was more than a matter of turning off Flicker Reduction. At that point, my camera will be going back to Sony.
Old October 8th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell View Post
Ola, I think from everything we've seen and read the past couple of days that we had the same problem. It also appears that it was simply a matter of turn off the Flicker Reduction. Why? I can't tell you, because I simply don't know. I didn't even realize it was on!

If the problem returns, we'll know it was more than a matter of turning off Flicker Reduction. At that point, my camera will be going back to Sony.
That makes Sonys answer to you seem a bit strange though...
Old October 8th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson View Post
That makes Sonys answer to you seem a bit strange though...
Yes, I agree with you. However, I took that to be an "educated guess" on their part, not having the camera in hand to examine.

Can we ignore the empirical evidence? Your camera was doing the exact same thing mine was. Turning off the Flicker Reduction appears to have eliminated the problem.
Old October 8th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #26
Sony Electronics

New strange image problem with my EX1

Ola,

Your instincts and description are correct: "It looks very similar to the rolling effect when recording with a 50 fps shutter in 60 Hz lights. Only this happens outdoors in daylight".

EX1 & EX3 camcorders are shipped with the "Flicker Reduction" set to Auto. In some rare occasions, repetitive luminance changes when panning may falsly trigger the Flicker Reduction circuit ON. To eliminate the possibility of this phenomenom inadvertingly occurring: invoke the the camera menu and turn OFF the Flicker Reduce circuit.

If you are recording 50fps in USA (60Hz line frequency) set the shutter to 1/60th or invoke the Ficker Reduce function.

Juan Martinez
Senior Manager
Sony Electronics
Juan Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #27

Excellent information. Thank you, Juan, for straightening this out for us.

Much appreciated!
Old October 8th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #28
Trustee

Thank you Juan.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #29
Sony Electronics

Jay & Steven,

Thank you for your kind words... I am glad to be able to help.

Juan
Juan Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Martinez View Post
Jay & Steven,

Thank you for your kind words... I am glad to be able to help.

Juan
May I just add how extremely valuable it is to have a Sony rep. following this forum and helping out. I am amazed at how well this forum can work sometimes and was almost moved to tears at how fast all you guys helped me sort out this problem!
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds